Brock Lesnar experiences a miracle, set for return this Summer

You can call UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar “The Miracle Man” after the massive former NCAA wrestling champion recently announced that he has been given a clean bill of health following an illness that very well could have ended his career in mixed martial arts indefinitely.

Lesnar made the announcement alongside UFC President Dana White on this morning’s edition of ESPN Sportscenter.

Lesnar went on to describe how a hole had been created in his intestine due to a serious medical condition that was initially misdiagnosed as mononucleosis. His doctor then put Brock on antibiotic and pain killers instead of removing the colon and ending his fighting career for good. Lesnar admitted that he was preparing for surgery and had even lost 40 pounds from his normally 300+ pound frame.

True to form, Brock refused to give in to the disease and fought back, putting back on thirty pounds before a January 5 check-up revealed that the condition had ceased to be.

“It’s a miracle,” said Lesnar. “There’s no signs of any problem anywhere in stomach, It’s just a miracle!”

According to Dana White, Lesnar’s doctor agreed with the champion’s assessment, stating, “You got a lottery ticket. This is unbelievable that you don’t need surgery. It’s a miracle.”

“There’s literally no sign that anything is existing in there,” said Brock.

White went on to further state that Lesnar is expected to make a return to action this Summer where he is expected to face off with the winner of an interim title fight between Frank Mir and Shane Carwin, but if anything should happen to the winner of that match-up, the shot will go to the winner of Cain Velasquez vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

• jj says:

…And the whole MMA world breathes a collective sigh or relief. It would have been devastating not only to the UFC heavyweight division. Lesnar really raised the bar for what a heavyweight should be and if his career ended so prematurely we would all be left wondering what may have been.

Maybe now some people can stop hating the guy.

• primetime says:

Whether or not you like Lesnar as a person…you have to admit he’s good for the UFC. The heavyweight division has never been this hyped up before. I just hope IF he loses his illness is not an excuse.

• Kuch says:

Glad to hear he will be O.K. and glad to hear he will return this summer. I just hope he’s still the same fighter. Sometimes things like this screw up an athlete’s mental game and they don’t recover mentally as quickly as they do physically.

• BigDave says:

This is great news now we all get to see Cain Velesquez beat Lesnar for the title by the end of the year. But i still think they need to cancel the Mir /Carwin fight as Mir doesnt deserve to be in a number one contender match. They should put Cain vs. Carwin and then a rematch mir vs. nog, thats the only way it would be fair. Mir is gonna get smashed again and although I love to see him get beat up I don’t like him getting big fights he has done nothing to deserve. But in the end welcome back Brock enjoy your last fight win this summer cause come this winter its gonna be around the waste of Cain Velasquez where it belongs.

Can you tell I’m a Cain fan! 😉 😉

I called the contents of the interview in the last Brock post…

• fanoftna33 says:

Although I really like Carwin, I am rooting for him to lose to Mir so we get to see Mir Lesnar 3. If the ufc adds another title fight and just 1 more top fight this could equal or surpass ufc 100 I think. Maybe Daley vs Alves and Kos vs Fitch if thoes would work out. Easy 1 million buys.

I did like the idea of the back up plan should the winner of mir/carwin be unable to fight come Brocks return…good stuff

• Angry Mike says:

I guess I’m a little disappointed. In my mind’s eye I saw this skinny surgeon prancing around the octagon yelling “I just took the colon out of Brock Lesnar’s ass. I’m going to have a Coor’s Lite and get on the wife.”

• Jstew3785 says:

Glad for Lesnar and his family. I still want to see him fight Carwin really bad regardless of the outcome of Mir vs Carwin.

• hindsightufuk says:

yep i’m pleased for him, hope he isnt too psychologically affected by the last 6 months

i’m also very very pleased that his career isn’t left in a could he couldnt he limbo. i want to see him fight carwin, big nog & rubber with mir, so that people like me, who think he is just winning due to his size more than any skill set, can be proved either right or wrong

• retrofitting123 says:

i hope brock really gets busy this yr . a fight in june a fight in september and maybe 1 more.mir cariwn winner or nog cain winner would be awesome. PLEASE quote me on this-i have a funny feeling cain will beat NOG! only by decision though.

• moosebaby02 says:

why is everyone given BigDave the thumbs down cause he lives on a different planet then we do? Everyone knows that Carwin will be the Champ at years end Dave. Love you Dave but it is what it is

• tarbox24 says:

I dont believe that it was a miracle that cured him. hell i don’t even believe he was sick in the first place, this seems like a hell of a planned publicity stunt on dana’s part. Lesnar doesnt deserve to be the current heavyweight champion, the only reason why he is is because dana saw the potential of making lesnar the champ only because of his name and his draw. dana only gives a fuck about money and pay per view sells.

• fanoftna33 says:

Cain has as good a chance to get the belt as anybody, and if he does beat Minaturo I think you will see everybody jump on his bandwagon. But BigDave make a very good point in that Cain does deserve to be in there against Carwin a bit more than Mir.

• rearnakedradio says:

This is genius…

Angry Mike says:

January 20, 2010 at 12:49 pm

• xtreme_machine says:

Lesnar looked REALLY small

I hope he can get back to 290 lbs

• tjr70 says:

Why couldn’t he fight with a colostomy bag? That way, if he lost, and his opponent said he beat the crap out of Brock, it would be like, “Duh?! My bag needed to be emptied!”

Seriously, I’m fighting back feelings of a hoax to wish Brock well and I look forward to seeing him back in the Octagon. Having been at UFC 100 when he trounced on Frank, I can say the atmosphere was electric (even amidst stupid post-fight comments and boos).

• retrofitting123 says:

i dont think hes been over 280 in years-they unofficially weighed him during a training camp he was 277 without cutting. So im figuring hes 260 right now-maybe 270

• king mah mah says:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad Brock is OK. But all this “miracle” talk is a little over the top and a little too conveiniant for a summer return. Makes me think he was never all that bad off to begin with.

I’m happy Brock is returning,(even though I never really liked him) but this just seems staged to me. I really hope that’s not the case, because I was pulling for him to make a full recovery. Especially since they made it seem like such a grave situation. You couldn’t help but feel bad for him. I just hope we weren’t lied to because that would be messed up to deceive everybody on those terms.

• egad81 says:

Am I wrong for wanting to see some real medical records?
    This whole thing stinks of scandal.

Otherwise I am glad to hear Brock “The Tool Box” Lesnar getting back in the cage

• MMA-LOGIC says:

How long does it take to put on 40 pnds of lean body mass?. I would have thought at least 6-7 mnths even for Brock. Will he be as big, as strong?.

• mu_shin says:

Still mystified by posters who have determined by some elusive undefined logic that the current UFC heavyweight champion does not “deserve” to be the champion. He earned it in the ring, and will more than likely continue to do so.

Conspiracy theorists abound. Perhaps you’d like to post your confidential medical records on the internet so we can all judge your personal veracity? Again, can’t imagine the logic that tells anyone a professional athlete is going to somehow benefit from being away from his sport, and compounding some kind of medical hoax is going to raise his professional profile in some diabolical, malevolent manner. Please…

Brock Lesnar is a deserving champion, the pinnacle of the current heavyweights active in the UFC, and will be until someone pushes him off the mountaintop. Lots of haters seem to continue to hold Lesnar’s entertainment wrestling experience against him, but he crushed Captain America, he overwhelmed a former heavyweight champion, and there’s no doubt in my mind if he’s healthy and returns to the insane training schedule he keeps, he will give Velasquez, Carwin, Mir, Nogueira, and anyone else who lines up against him all they can handle.

As a fan, and a ground fighting technical grappling proponent, I’d enjoy nothing more than to see Frank Mir take Lesnar for the championship, but in no way is Lesnar anything but a dominant champion and the man to beat in the heavyweight division of the UFC. Glad to hear he’s healthy, and can’t wait to see his return to the octagon.

• Guthookd says:

Good deal. Glad he’s going to be back and healthy.

• king mah mah says:

@mu_shin- You know damn well why people are questioning this!

I believe he was sick, and I’d hoped for his recovery, as i’m sure most people did.

The thing that is in question here is how bad was this really? I’m sure he was in the hospital and everything, but it just seems like they took a situation that was mildly serious and made it seem like it was a life or death or a career ending thing,while they might have known all along that he most likely would recover 100%. Then all of the sudden he is training and on espn announcing his return? It was a miracle?! Give me a goddamn break!

Listen kids, there are no miracles in life. It’s just something your parents told you as a kid to make you feel better. You certainly don’t go from not knowing whats going on with your illness to announcing your return that fast. I’m not saying it’s Brock’s fault. Dana knew how to play the media to hype it so when he returned it would SEEM like a miracle. That way people would be more interested to see him fight.

I hope i’m wrong, but I can’t help but think it.

• Dufresne says:

I have no desire to see his medical records as I believe he was truly sick.

What I also believe is that when the doctors told him and whoever else was cleared for confidentiality, they basically told him that he had a hole in his intestines and that it could potentially kill him. Which is what diverticulitis is.

I’ve worked in the medical field enough to realize that if you tell someone with almost no medical background something that sounds like that, they’re going to take it in the worst possible way. I blame that for all the hype about him possibly not returning or worse.

Do I think that it was overly hyped? Yeah. But I understand why they did it too. Worse case scenario: We had the biggest heavyweight talent and he hadn’t hit his peak yet, it’s a tragedy he didn’t get to stay in the game. Is he the best talent without having hit his peak? I don’t know. Neither does anyone else. They could say just about anything they wanted to there and no one would be able to really argue it.

• king mah mah says:

@Dufresne- Yeah and the flu can kill someone too. Doesn’t mean I’m gonna tell everyone I know that I might have to retire everytime I get it!

• Dufresne says:

He didn’t tell anyone anything if you remember correctly. That was all Dana.

• donmega1976 says:

Brock Lesnar is more than a fighter, he is a larger than life figure who has been stapled as the face of the UFC and the freak that proves the statement of the UFC having the best competition in MMA. I wouldn’t be surprised if this injury was a hoax pulled off by Dana and the Fertittas to allow Brock more time to train and improve his skill as a fighter with the understanding that if he loses it would be detrimental to the organization in the pinnacle of their growth. It wouldn’t surprise me if this whole thing has been a hoax.