Diego Sanchez heading back to welterweight

It appears as though Diego Sanchez’s run at lightweight is done three fights into it. “The Nightmare” recently confirmed his intentions on Twitter.

“I’m loving my new diet. I want Kos or Fitch but any top guy will do. Just want to give you fans the best fight.”

The inventor of the “YES”-cartwheel also appears to have his sights set on another 155-pounder contemplating a move up in weight, stating he would “love to welcome” Nate Diaz to the division. Though nothing remotely official has been announced, Diaz could be intrigued by the match-up due to its competitive nature and the fact Sanchez defeated his older brother, Strikeforce’s Nick Diaz, at a UFC event in 2005.

• Jak says:

The top of the WW division is somewhat crowded with Koscheck, Alves, Fitch and Daley.

But they could make some great match ups for Diego against guys like Hazelett, Condit, Foster, Ellenburger, Kampmann and some the other lesser known but really entertaining fighters.

• Connor Cobain says:

Wow Diego I did’nt think you coud run away from anymore weightclasses. Well I don’t think Diego will ever recieve a title shot again. It’s funny though he targets two guys he can’t beat and one that he can, guess which one he’ll go for.

• WarCry says:

I think part of dude’s spirit got broken. I really wanted to see him and Florian matchup one more time to see if Kenny could come out on top. He has to know in his heart of hearts that he’ll never wear a belt. Gonna be interesting to see how he deals with that realization.

• MacBatty says:

Well I bet you anything Dana asked him to do this because they are running out of possible opponents for GSP without Recycling someone. GSP has already beat the guys that are probibly 1,2,3 in line behind him and to be honest none of those fights were really entertaining.

So if Diego can beat one of the top 4 I bet he gets the next shot.

YES WHEEL = RATINGS

• MacBatty says:

The guy just went to war with BJ Penn and you guys think he is moving weight to run from a weight class? Or that maybe he is going to be fighting the 2nd tier of the weight class?

You guys are out of your minds…..

• Jak says:

MacBatty: Or that maybe he is going to be fighting the 2nd tier of the weight class?

? – well, he already lost to Fitch and Koscheck and skipped out on a fight with Alves.

It’s okay to fight Joe Stevenson at LW, but god forbid he fights guys like Martin Kampmann or Carlos Condit?

Pretty sure Clay Guida isn’t at the top of the LW food chain either and that was a pretty entertaining fight.

Who do you do you suggest for a guy who’s not in the top 5 WW and just got stomped by Bj Penn?

• hindsightufuk says:

if he’s loving his new diet why is he changing weight? or did i miss the point?
    good match ups in either weight class, i think if he stays at 155 he will always be no. 2/3 (til BJ leaves), like Florian, which is no good. Maybe WW gives him soething new to aim at? i fancy his chances nowadyas against both Fitch and Josh

• Bad Monkey says:

Regardless of weight class, the ‘YES’ cartwheel will live forever!!

It’s tough to believe this move back to WW doesn’t signal Diego’s express ticket to gate keeper status. BJ destroyed him, so who in their right mind thinks he would stand a chance against GSP??

I would like to see him and Kos fight again purely for the chance to make up for the total piece of sh*t fight they put on the first time.

• Dufresne says:

I don’t think Sanchez is running from the LW division, I would pick him over Condit and Kampman.

With rumors that GSP might take some time off of MMA to potentially wrestle in the Olympics, maybe this is Diego’s way of getting himself in line for a title shot without having to fight Rush.

• Kamakosmo says:

hindsightufuk says: if he’s loving his new diet why is he changing weight? or did i miss the point?

Diet doesn’t necessarily mean losing weight. It just means what you eat. He’s probably eating well/alot for the first time in a long time and likes it. Remember his 1st fight at LW, while he won, he looked gaunt and sunken in. While his body had gotten used to it, I’m sure it’s very tough to keep at that weight when you and your body know you should be above that. There are more exciting fights for him/us in the WW division anyway.

• I think everyone is forgetting that Diego was terribly sick when he fought Kos the for the second time and he didnt get thrashed Kos played it safe and out pointed him. Secondly he OWNED Kos on TUF and I think he could still either beat or compete with him no problem. Third his fight with Fitch was great and if you disagree go watch nothing but Ultimate Knockouts or bum fights because grappling and battles of technical ground brilliance are not for you. Oh and Diego lost a split decision in that fight by the way. The intensity Diego brings beats most guys and for a guy with 3 losses I dont think he’s gettin his due just because BJ beat him senseless.

• Kuch says:

This is a strange move. I think Diego has his best chances at success as a LW. Sure, he lost to BJ, but who hasn’t? Florian would still be a money fight for him and that could also lead to a bout with Gomi. Diego could easily stay the #2 or #3 LW in the UFC, whereas a jump to WW could very well drop him out of the Top 5. Then again, I wouldn’t mind seeing him match up against guys like Dan Hardy or Paul Daley.

• David Andrest says:

hindsightufuk: if he’s loving his new diet why is he changing weight? or did i miss the point?

I think if we translate it’s safe to say, he is enjoying eating food again.

Diego is a hell of a fighter. but I think he is in danger of falling into that Rich Franklin/Dan Henderson category where he finds himself the 3rd best guy at multiple weights. They all seem to have the ability to beat anyone in their weightclass provided he is not the belt holder.

• robby says:

i think diego is competitive at either weight but i do think 170 is a more natural weight for him . as i am 5ft 6 and weigh 145 -150 and i am not big at this weight so someone who is 4 inches taller making a weight 5 pds heavier must be hard and not healthy

• fanoftna33 says:

I would guess he lost some power cutting to 155 and really wants that back. At WW he only lost two fights to two top guys and really the loss to Fitch could have gone either way, and losing a very crappy fight to Kos while injured isnt a bad thing. Hopefully they match him with Kos first.

I think him and Nate will be good fight… Anybody who fights a Diaz Bro. has my vote…

• RearNakedRadioPugs says:

Diego has found himself in a tuff spot. He’s stuck between WW and LW and hasnt much shot at either strap. You cant tell me the guy isnt an interesting character, you cant say he isnt a fun fighter to watch…So what does he do.. Isnt this why UFC vets move to Strikeforce? I will watch Diego where ever he ends up.

• Rich S. says:

When I first heard of his thoughts to move back up, I was pissed..
    His first few fights at Welterweight were huge.. Beating the likes of Parisyan, Riggs, and Diaz..
    But his last few bouts before moving to Lightweight led me to believe he would get brutalized by the bigger 170’s.. I just don’t think his body is right for Welterweight..

Honestly, now, I’m fine with it..
    He knows he doesn’t have a shot at being champion at Lightweight now, and he never got his shot at Welterweight, so… Why NOT give it a try?

I hope he polishes off his Jiu Jitsu.. I was far more entertained by his earlier UFC bouts than I am with his Split Decisions now.. Besides, a dominant submissionist would shake things up in the Welterweight division right now.. He’s just one of those guys that prefers a knockout, though… Which is a shame.. Also I hope he packs on some serious muscle..

• YetiLee says:

I guess Sanchez is happy to serve as gatekeeper for the rest of his career. He couldn’t beat Penn and there is no way he could ever beat GSP, so it is welcome to mediocrity Diego.

• Angry Mike says:

Diego is moving around, but he’s not making any progress towards a belt. With Penn at 155 and GSP at 170, there’s nowhere for him to get a belt. With Silva at 185, you have three of the most dominant title holders in history. Any or all of them could dominate their respective weight classes for years to come.

• baldguy80 says:

WarCry: I think part of dude’s spirit got broken.I really wanted to see him and Florian matchup one more time to see if Kenny could come out on top. He has to know in his heart of hearts that he’ll never wear a belt.Gonna be interesting to see how he deals with that realization.

I think you’re right WarCry. I remember back in 2007 or so when Sanchez was still unbeaten, and he really, truly, honestly believed that he would never suffer a loss in his career, and then he lost two in a row. He’s broken on the inside! He’s also entertaining to watch, despite his tendency to be a little left of centre… (See “Yes” Cartwheel for cross-reference..)

• Vogairian says:

I think we’re being pretty quick to send Diego down gatekeeper ally. He has three losses in his career. One was a split decision to Jon Fitch, someone most people would agree is the 2nd or 3rd best fighter at WW. A decision loss to Kos, a fight in which he had a bad staph infection. And a loss to one of the best p4p fighters in the world. I’m not going to jump the gun here and right him off as an after thought. He can compete with anyone in the WW division and if he managed to get a fight with GSP at some point, there’s no way GSP would actually finish him outside of anything other than decision.

• Rich S. says:

Diego prides himself in his chin and his striking…
    His grappling is some of the best in the division no matter what weight class he’s fighting in..
    BUT, he seems to have that classic “The fans want a war” complex..
    Well, what’s going to happen when he gets into a slugfest with Thiago Alves? Anthony Johnson? Paul Daley? I’ll tell you what’s going to happen.. He’s going to get knocked out..
    He better start fighting with the intent to grapple, because his boxing isn’t going to allow him to squeak by with split decisions in this division.. These guys are too big, and punch too hard..

That’s why I rejoiced when I heard he was moving down.. Before making the drop, he was slated to fight Thiago Alves.. And I remember thinking he had no hope of winning.. I knew he would want to stand and bang, and he would get dropped for it.. Maybe if he packs on some more muscle, his striking will be powerful enough to contend.. Even then, I think he needs to work on his technique..

• xtreme_machine says:

You can’t be bj Penn so what makes you think you can beat gsp.

Remind you that gsp owned bj.

• MacBatty says:

xtreme_machine: You can’t be bj Penn so what makes you think you can beat gsp.
    Remind you that gsp owned bj.

True but this is the same GSP that got caught by “old ass” Matt Serra…I think Diego Hits a little bit harder than Serra and I also think he has learned a few things since then.

Im not saying that I actually think that Diego or anyone else can beat GSP….Just saying out of all the “unbeatable” champs in the UFC….Brock, Loyoto, Silva, GSP, Penn…..Only GSP has been knocked out by a scrub like Serra….