Bombs Away: Cheick Kongo vs. Paul Buentello set for UFC on Versus

Cheick Kongo and Paul Buentello are all set to clobber one another in a heavyweight bout that has fireworks written all over it.

The two will duke it out during UFC on Versus which has been set for the Odeum Arena in Broomfield , Colorado on March 21. The main portion of the card will be the first UFC event to air live on the Versus network.

Buentello will be looking to keep his spot in the UFC following a decision defeat in his December return to the promotion at the lengthy hands of Stefan Struve, while Kongo finds himself in a somewhat similar position on the heels of consecutive defeats to the likes of Cain Velasquez and Frank Mir.

UFC on Versus will be headlined by a light heavyweight showdown between Jon Jones and Brandon Vera, while featuring other match-ups of Junior dos Santos vs. Gabriel Gonzaga, Anthony Johnson vs. John Howard and more.

Below is a full list of the bouts made official by the promotion as of this writing:

Brandon Vera vs. Jon Jones

Junior dos Santos vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

Cheick Kongo vs. Paul Buentello

Anthony Johnson vs. John Howard

Eliot Marshall vs. Vladimir Matyushenko

Duane Ludwig vs. Spencer Fisher

• Connor Cobain says:

Well I dislike seeing people in the heavyweight Division get the boot because they dont have as many fighters there. Well I feel bad for The Headhunter but I see Kongo ending this by TKO round 1.

• hindsightufuk says:

i will be screaming for Paul to win this, i’ll love it if he does

glad Brandon is finally fighting a top LHW (Randy just isnt Randy any more), i fully expect him to get exposed as the medicocre fighter he is

Ludwig vs Fisher could be fantastic entertainment
    Eliot Marshall vs. Vladimir Matyushenko could be the dullest fight of the year

• I hope The head hunter sends Cheik’s head into the 5th row. Kongo has no business amongst the Elite HW IMO. And After his smug interview on UFC.com about how All the French are down to earth and every american is just a cocky hollywood wanna be Im done with him. He played right into Frank Mir’s hands thinkin Frank didnt take him seriously and he paid for it badly. On the other hand Paul Buantello is the opposite, humble not imposing and always gets it done. Either way this makes it no where near the second round.

• Jstew3785 says:

Hell yeah. Always rooting for the Head Hunter. I hope every card on Versus is as stacked as this one.

• king mah mah says:

I will be rooting for Paul here, but I honestly think Kongo is gonna take this.

If Paul does win this, it will put him up there in rank. He’ll probably be fighting a top contender if he wins this one.

• hindsightufuk says:

This card is sweet…this and 111 are looking awesome

• RearNakedRadioPugs says:

Seems like just yesterday I was bitching and moaning about underwhelming UFC cards. Looks like they have fixed that. Some great looking cards coming!

• Jstew3785 says:

hindsightufuk: i dont think he’ll be a contender at any point, but he could make a good gatekeeper, certainly better than Kongo isanyone know what the situation is with Heath Herring these days? did he finish his contract? or was he gonna come back to the UFC?  (Quote)

I heard he was taking a break for a while. Wanted to pursue his Acting career or some bullshit. He plans on coming back eventually but I don’t know when

• this is a very solid card and for free at that! Dos Santos vs Gonzaga. .Rumble and Kongo vs Paul Buentello and to top it off . . Vera vs Jones which is going to be a Slam Bam call for your Daddy to whoop you harder next time Brawl! This one is not going the Distance and I don’t see Vera winning this one. I just don’t think Vera is Strong enough nor quick enough to handle Jones based on his last performance again the Hammer. Jones looked Great.

Great Headliner and strong line up. I am exited for this one.

My wishes to those who have Satellite and can’t get cable.

• H3ro says:

I still feel it’s ridiculous to have a card like this on VS. Why can’t they just put this one on Spike? I have DirecTV and I can only watch it at a friends place or stream it live. I think this will be one of the lowest rated fights and the card is pretty stacked for a free show.
    Screw Versus