Exclusive: Kimbo Slice vs. Matt Mitrione in the works for UFC 113 in Montreal

FiveOuncesofPain.com has recently learned from sources extremely close to the situation that Kimbo Slice’s next fight is expected to take place at UFC 113 against fellow TUF 10 heavyweight, Matt Mitrione.

While sources close to Mitrione have said he has yet to be approached about the fight, the heavy handed duo are considered highly likely to face off on May 1 from the Bell Centre in Montreal, Canada.

Kimbo will be looking to improve upon his December decision victory over Houston Alexander, while Mitrione is hoping to make it two in a row in the Octagon himself with a TUF 10 Finale knockout over Marcus “Big Baby” Jones.

Other match-ups rumored for UFC 113 include a light heavyweight championship rematch between Lyoto Machida and Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, along with the highly anticipated grudge match between Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Rashad Evans, although neither bout has been made official by the promotion as of this writing.

Editor’s Note: This story was amended at 6:25 p.m. ET to reflect additional information provided by sources close to Mitrione.

• xtreme_machine says:

Good match up for kimbo

but I hope crasy @ss Mitrione can KO him

• KTru says:

as long as Kimbo can fight non grapplers he has a chance. That being said Meathead can take this fight. And remember Kimbo is always 2 fights before he is cut.

• KTru says:

that’s as long as he keeps winning. Sorry I have been drinking all day in council bluffs iowa watching the saints beat on the cards in hooters

• Dufresne says:

I think Mitrione has the edge here.

Mitrione has almost nothing to lose here. He is still a relative unknown in the general MMA fans eyes even though he was on the same TUF season as Kimbo, so a win, especially a KO, over Kimbo would do wonders for his career.

Kimbo hits very hard, but he also has a suspect chin as is evidence from his 14 second KO couretsy of Petruzelli, and I think Mitrione might be able to exploit that. I would talk about how he could use a cardio advantage, but I doubt Mitrione’s cardio just as much as I doubt Kimbo’s.

• I seen this being a good fight. Mitrione isn’t goind the run around Kimbo. I see Mitroine winning this one . Mitrione is tough and can handle the ground game well enough I think by using a performance against Big Baby as a example and he obviously Mitrione hits hard. I am acually exited for this fight to happen.

• MacBatty says:

Kimbo by KO – Mitrione is a clown

Kimbo’s status the UFC has nothing to do with his Win/Loss record. its all about PPV buys and Tv ratings….If he becomes the 2nd biggest draw in the UFC behind Brock….Well then I think the chances are that Dana will give him a 3rd or 4th fight if he had a losing streak….They would eventually give him a tomato can to beat up to justify him staying on the roster.

Now if during that losing streak the interest in him goes away….Then i could see the UFC dropping him……But ill tell you what dont be surprised if you see him and Brock on the cover of the 2011 UFC video game

• Guthookd says:

His camp knows his chin is not the best and that Matt hits hard. They have some great grapplers there too, so I’m sure he’s been getting rolled around a lot the last few months.

Mark my words…Kimbo by Submission.

• Kamakosmo says:

Guthookd, remember now, that’s exactly what Big Baby wanted to do against Mitrione. I’m not comparing the two by any stretch (Marcus’ stand-up is light years behind Kimbo’s as we all know) But Marcus’ ground game is pretty decent, and he had Mitrione down and Matt was able to fight out of it…that being said, I agree with you. I think Matt’s biggest weakness is his cardio and it would be smart of Kimbo to tire him out IMHO….which is what we all DO NOT want to see. I just hope this fight has all the fireworks in reality as it does on paper. The UFC does not want another “So You Think You Can Dance” audition.

• Angry Mike says:

Kimbo takes it to the ground? The only way he gets it to the ground is if Meathead drops him, and I think there’s a really good chance of that. Meathead is off the wall, but he has heavy hands and isn’t afraid to stand and trade. I think he has a better chin than Kimbo, too.

• retrofitting123 says:

i see it pretty even . yes matt has a good chin and heavy hands but he stands there and takes shots. kimbo is the better boxer but the smaller weaker guy here. He needs to be at 205 where he at least has the size advantage

• patsiera68 says:

It will be interesting to see if Kimbo Slice can continue to improve. He showed more technical skill against Houston Alexander, and some potential for some sick ground and pound if he keeps working on it, but looked a little hesitant to step in there and bang. Hopefully he’ll put everything together and make this a great fight.

I think being that Kimbo is evolving he may have a chance but hey Atleast he’s Now getting good fights put together instead of cans… Lashely Is getting fed cans and nobody sez nothing but when kimbo was in those shoes in elite xc he was a hack… I know it’s a different scenario but I’m just saying…

I’m a fan of lashley just saying though

• elkymbo says:

Mark my words…Kimbo by Submission.

I laughed a while ago when the option for Kimbo by submission came up in the 5oz poll. I then almost had to eat my words as Kimbo nearly pulled one off. So I’ll say Kimbo by submission. Mitrione won’t expect that one little bit.

He’s a meathead.

• sexy-yama says:

On other websites they report this as false,mitrione on his facebook says he heard nothing of it but would be willing, dont know why they would post otherwise thou, but the sites did say that junkie and 5oz get stuff wrong alot >.< "I'm much more inclined to say that Mitrione knows better than Five Oz. (who seems to be wrong a lot lately) and Junkie given that the fight involves him. " Brent Bookhouse

• qat says:

Rece Rock:
    I think being that Kimbo is evolving he may have a chance but hey Atleast he’s Now getting good fights put together instead of cans… Lashely Is getting fed cans and nobody sez nothing but when kimbo was in those shoes in elite xc he was a hack… I know it’s adifferent scenario but I’m just saying…
    I’m a fan of lashley just saying though

what exactly did mitrione achieve to justify saying that he is no can with a punchers chance? i’m just curious.

Just saying they are matched up decently on skill level- and Bobby lashley is being fed guys whom are not active or can’t even get the ok from the local commision due to being a noncompetitive match up?? Just simply saying whether this fight happens or not atleast kimbo is now fighting guys whom are atleast a challenge not just lining up to knock them down… As faR as what mitrone has done – he doesn’t have to do anything- didn’t they both come off a win after the tuf 10 show?- so I think it’s a decent match up that’s all – and in the past that wasn’t the case, it was more of a lashely scenario. It’s just my opinion.

• Cory Brady says:

sexy-yama:

On other websites they report this as false,mitrione on his facebook says he heard nothing of it but would be willing, dont know why they would post otherwise thou, but the sites did say that junkie and 5oz get stuff wrong alot >.< “I’m much more inclined to say that Mitrione knows better than Five Oz. (who seems to be wrong a lot lately) and Junkie given that the fight involves him. ” Brent Bookhouse

(Quote)

Mitrione has confirmed this fight to several of the most respected journalists in the business: Fact. So that alone throws this Brett kid’s unbiased attack out the window.

5 Oz. has been wrong a lot lately? Really? Like when we reported that the UFC had sold 10% of the company a full 5 days before the news broke from the promotion? Or when we revealed that Manhoef would be fighting Lawler at “Strikeforce: Miami”? No that couldn’t have been it… It must have been when we first reported that the bout between Sean Sherk and Clay Guida was scrapped, right? But wait, further reports have confirmed ours. Hmmm… certainly it’s because Jimmy Ambriz was never even being considered for the match-up against Lashley… but a series of other reports following 5 Oz. breaking the news have confirmed that he has, and still is…. The fact of the matter is that if 5 Oz. runs an exclusive story, it’s because we know for certain that it’s 100% true.

Facts always speak louder that personal attacks and unprofessional accusations.

• Jstew3785 says:

5 Oz gets stuff wrong all the time? And lately…? Wow, and you still comment daily on this site? How noble of you.

• Kamakosmo says:

Who in the hell is Brent Bookhouse and why should I care what that douche says? I’m pretty confident in all the news I get at this site (that’s why I come here) and am also confident in knowing that if they get erroneous info, they update it ASAP.

• Guthookd: This will make you laugh but I bet Kimbo takes it to the ground and gets a submission.

ya, I don’t see that lmoa. I like where you are going with all that but Kimbo won’t have better submissions that Big Baby and Kimbo won’t be as strong. Kimbo has no chance at heavy weight what so every. Catch weight PPV stuff is all he is really worth and really I would like to only see him on free tv until Kimbo gets better.

I do like this fight a lot though. I’m very excited to see it. Mitroine all the way. Kimbo won’t have the hands to knock out Mitrione. Gonna be a fun slug fest, I can’t wait.

If all that is to be expected happens then this whole card is shaping up to be Awesome! It should be a 6 hour event! Every fight show. I mean.. they replay the fight so why not just show all the fights.

• MacBatty says:

HAHA…Cory Your a PimP!!!!!

I roll with fiveouncesofpain till the world blows up!!!!!

• MMA-LOGIC says:

WOW a dude that lost in the TUF series is fighting a dude that winged his way through every episode! this is huge. Too bad it is not in some dudes back yard where it should be.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

whinged that is.

• Curly Biddles says:

Wow 2 more heavyweights matched up that are willing to strike! Nice matchup. Now all we need is for one of them to have the over aggresive game plan and we will have fireworks.

Inside the first 3 minutes, Kimbo will have an INSANE reach disadvantage that will be difficult to penetrate without slipping a jab perfectly. After the initial 3 minutes Mitrione will likely drop is hands and his speed may start to suffer. They will both be able to land shots I bet at this point and either fighter could go out. But I think Kimbo will come in great shape. I am a firm believer that optimal cardio improves chin.

Kimbo by TKO due to Mitrione poor cardio. Both fighters showed improved cardio in their last fights, but I feel Kimbo will have an edge after the first 3 minutes.

I would not bet on this fight; just another crazy prediction

biddles

• mu_shin says:

If Kimbo can come in at a solid 230, in the kind of shape he was in on the show, he will have every chance to outstrike Matt Mitrione. Thought Mitrione was unfocused, undisciplined, and unbalanced on TUF, but who knows, maybe that was for television. He was definitely not in any kind of fighting shape when he fought on the show, but did better against Marcus in the finals. No doubt Mitrione has power in his hands, but Kimbo looks like he’ll have an edge in hand speed and lateral motion to avoid Mitrione’s shots and counter. Kimbo fought Alexander at 215, while Mitrione is a true heavyweight, so that could be a factor, but I still think on conditioning, Kimbo will have an edge.

• […] was the first to report the news of an impending heavyweight match-up between Kimbo Slice and Matt Mitrione, and UFC […]

• […] a series of unfounded rumors speculating that the bout had been scrapped, a heavyweight showdown first reported by FiveOuncesofPain.com between Kimbo Slice and Matt Mitrione is now official, again, for UFC […]