Kurt Pellegrino squares off with Fabricio Camoes at UFC 111 in New Jersey

UFC lightweight Kurt Pellegrino (14-4 MMA, 6-3 UFC) has not been shy in announcing that he will be fighting at UFC 111 in Newark, N.J.  Yesterday, we finally learned that his opponent would be Fabricio Camoes (10-4-1 MMA, 0-0-1 UFC).

Pellegrino publicized the news of his opponent through an update on his Twitter account. According to sources close to both fighters, both have made verbal agreements although no official bout agreements have been signed.

In the recent years, the New Jersey native Pellegrino had battled a rocky 1-2 stretch.  After switching his camp from Florida back to his home state, the UFC vet fought back. He has since earned three straight wins over Thiago Tavares, Rob Emerson, and Josh Neer. Originally slated to face off with Frankie Edgar at “The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale” in December, a back injury had forced Pellegrino off the card.

An MMA journeyman and one fight UFC vet, Camoes has fought for all different promotions throughout his 10 year career including Elite XC’s “ShoXC” card series. In November, the Brazilian fought to a majority draw at UFC 106 with esteemed veteran Caol Uno.

UFC 111 will be the UFC’s first time visiting the “Garden State” since a November 2007 visit with a main event featuring Rashad Evans and Michael Bisping.

Newark’s Prudential Center will house the event and will be headlined be two title bouts, including welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre vs. Dan Hardy as well as Shane Carwin vs. Frank Mir to crown the interim heavyweight championship.

• Guthookd says:

I can’t quite remember Camoes, but any fight involving Kurt is a fight I want to see. The guy is a talented fighter. A few set backs, but he sure does put on a show. I love that fight where he got head kicked and his tooth went through his lip……didn’t even slow him down.

At least Pellegrino won’t have to travel far!
    That home town pop he will get will get him amped up i’m sure….

• Makington says:

I believe Camoes is the fella who fought Caul Uno to a draw a few UFC’s ago. He didn’t strike me as anything special in that fight, which makes me wonder why Kurt even took it. Maybe he doesn’t want to start off against a harder opponent because of his injury but he was steadily climbing the LW ranks fighter steadily tougher competition so I don’t see why he wouldn’t want to take this one.

Not really a big deal altogether though, Pellegrino is hardly a contender. A big win could have made him one but he is still a kind of gatekeeper for now.

• sexy-yama says:

• 3OAM says:

sexy-yama: Kurt is already a champ in my eyes, YOu seen his wife! Well done Kurt Well Done….

She’s cute, but I still think Kid Yamamoto’s wife has the foxiest fight wife title.

• sexy-yama says:

3OAM:

i agree but its his EXwife now lol, AA wifes is also smoking!! check her out DAMN!

• sexy-yama says:

For the guys who thumbs down on kurt wife are u gay or sumthing?LOL Y would u thumbs down ne hottie,just weird