“Best of Pride Fighting Championships” premieres tonight on Spike at 10pm ET/PT

New York, NY, January 15, 2010 – One of the most popular MMA organizations in the world during its ten years of operation (1997-2007), Pride Fighting Championships, based in Japan, featured world class mixed martial arts artists in some of the most dramatic bouts in the early history of the sport. Spike TV will re-broadcast the best of these bouts in “The Best of Pride Fighting Championships,” premiering tonight, Friday, January 15 at 10:00 PM ET/PT.

Hosted by Kenda Perez, the series features past and present UFC® champions among the legendary MMA combatants that includes Chuck Liddell, Anderson Silva, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueria, Dan Henderson, Mirko Cro Cop, Wanderlei Silva, Josh Barnett, Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, Mark Coleman, Frank Trigg, Hidehiko Yoshida, Akihro Gono and Takanoro Gomi.

Spike.com is currently featuring the classic PRIDE matchup of Chuck Liddell and Alistair Overeem.

• elkymbo says:

• Nick Havok says:

elkymbo: Can’t wait to see Wanderlei doing the old foot stomps. That shit was just evil. Not to mention Mirko and Fedor going at it. Ah memories. Good times.  (Quote)

Doubt you will see Fedor anywhere on this show…that is unless he signs with the UFC (which ain’t gonna happen!)

I mean they didn’t show Fedor one single solitary time on the commercials for this show.

Instead, we got to see Noguiera, Wanderlei and all the others guys who are now under contract with Zuffa.

This is not the real Pride at all…it’s the UFC’s watered down version.

• Dufresne says:

Nick Havok: This is not the real Pride at all…it’s the UFC’s watered down version.

I usually hate your cynicism, but a lot of the time you’re right. Such as this one.

I don’t doubt that they’ll give us fights from people that aren’t in the UFC currently, but there’s almost no way they’ll give us matches with fighters that are competing for their biggest competitor unless it involves that fighter getting destroyed (which never happened to Fedor, so we almost certainly won’t be seeing him)

• wader says:

fedor is the one being dumped on his head by kevin randellman

• KTru says:

dufresne

don’t feed the troll

• Rece Rock: Fedor was only one fighter on the roster- how bout new fans who never saw a cro cop high head kick or stuff like that??? Mma doesn’t start and end with fedor  (Quote)

Good call. We get to see everyone else..UFC doesn’t have to do this. And ya ..why would the UFC promote anyone elses big fighter ?? . I just thought it was cool to see some of the Pride stuff I never saw.

• KTru: dufresnedon’t feed the troll  (Quote)

Everything about Nick is Negative and watered down.

• Angry Mike says:

I wonder why UFC waited so long to start airing the old Pride fights. They’ve owned the library for nearly three years. It seems to me that showing the old fights would’ve helped them market the fighters that moved over and who weren’t as well known to casual fans.

• Kamakosmo says:

I loved the old Pride shows they showed on FSN and I’m glad Zuffa brought them back. I’m not going to get into the politics of who they show and why…however, I liked that they showed the full 10 minutes of the 1st round’s without commercials (which was a concern by some). My own personal thoughts: Mauro is horribly annoying, Bas is great, and who the hell was Mario (during the Wanderlei/Rampage fight)? Please enlighten me. He added nothing but “Ya’s”, and “he shoud hit him and avoid being hit” type banter.

• elkymbo says:

Bas Rutten is the best commentator in the game hands down. Now if we could only get him and Mike Schiavello together for Strikeforce that’d be awesome!

• sexy-yama says:

Omfg love the pride intro and entrances more of an atmosphere and the Sreamming Lady Just GOLD