Junior dos Santos vs. Gabriel Gonzaga set for UFC on Versus

A heavyweight bout between fellow Brazilians Junior dos Santos and Gabriel Gonzaga has been made official for the very first live UFC event to air on the VERSUS network.

UFC on Versus: Vera vs. Jones” is set for March 21 from the Odeum Arena in Broomfield, Colorado.

Dos Santos will be looking to make it five in a row with the UFC, with recent wins over the likes of Fabricio Werdum, Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic and Gilbert Yvel, while Gonzaga is aiming to improve upon his recent clobbering of Chris Tuchscherer’s testicles during UFC 102 after being separated from consciousness at the hands of Shane Carwin in March of 2009.

A full list of the bouts made official for the card are listed below:

Brandon Vera vs. Jon Jones

Junior dos Santos vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

Anthony Johnson vs. John Howard

Eliot Marshall vs. Vladimir Matyushenko

• Dufresne says:

I’m glad they’re putting at least a few fights with big implications on Versus. When I first heard that they were going to start putting WEC on PPV and replace some of them with free UFC I immediately thought we’d be getting more Fight Night style cards, which while entertaining, rarely have title ramifications.

If (read when) dos Santos gets passed Gonzaga there’s not a lot of people left to put in front of him before they give him a title shot against whoever has the belt at the time. If he manages to completely steamroll Gonzaga there won’t be much of an argument to not give him a title shot immediately. After all they did promise Carwin his shot at the belt after he KO’d Gonzaga.

There is also a slim chance that Big Gabe pulls another Cro Cop inspired surprise out of his bag of tricks, in which case the HW picture gets even more complicated.

• MCM says:

I also can’t see any reason why they would not give Dos Santos a title shot if he gets by Gonzaga.

I think Junior is take this via TKO(cause that what he does), but I could see Gabe trying to take this to the ground and working a submission. I know Dos Santos trains at the best camp in MMA, but Gabe is no joke on the ground. And being that Junior’s only loss is by submission, I see that as the best way for Gonzaga to win this…….If he doesn’t go to sleep first.

• xtreme_machine says:

when Dos Santos wins he better get a title shot

• Guthookd says:

I think Dos Santos might end up being the HW champ within the next year or two. The UFC gave him 2 fights in 09, already one more in 2010. If he wins 3 fights in 2010 I think he’ll take the title in 2011 if he doesn’t have it already.

This should be a good fight though. I like to watch Gonzo’s big ass throw down. Maybe he’ll pull it out…never know.

• Rich S. says:

AHHHHHHH WHY?!

Why can they put all their faith into Shane Carwin so instantly but not Dos Santos?
    Is it because Carwin doesn’t have much time left in this sport?
    And all Mir needs is one win for a title shot every time out..
    I know they have this group of guys that have always been title contenders at HW, but they have another group that’s rising through the ranks right now

Now, if Dos Santos wins, nothing really happens.. I’m sure he won’t get any closer to a title shot..
    Whereas, if he loses, all of his last 4 dominant victories are practically erased..

I realize that Carwin was given the shot, and with Lesnar out of it now, he needs to stay in the picture.. So, that’s OK, I guess.. Mir always makes a good title fight, and he’s got a big name, so maybe that’s where that came from.. Also, all the other HW contenders seem to be tied up right now.. So, it’s starting to make more sense, but still.. I just don’t understand why Junior keeps getting devastating victories, and nothing in return..

• Jstew3785 says:

• xtreme_machine says:

i just remember

why the [email protected] is Mir fightting for the interm tittle and not Dos santos

Mir got destroyed by Lesnar with not exusses for his performance then he beats Kongo and he gets a tittle shot WTF?

Dos Santos beat the then #1 contender Werdum, then Stefan Struve, then the legend Mirko Cro Cop, and then another well stablished guy Gilbert Yvel (who had only lost to Barnett in his last 9 fights) and still not title shot

in my opinion beting Werdum, Struve, Cro Cop, Yvel all by TKO make a better argument for a title shot than Kongo who was lost 2 in a row and his irrelevant Now.

If this does not show that the UFC only cares about making money then i do not know what does, because he all know that Brock vs Mir 3 will most certainly be the biggest PPV since UFC 100.

I just hope Dos Santos gets what he deserves.

HW division is full of excitement right now!

This will be a good year for that division should all contenders stay healthy.

For you guys who don’t understand why certain folks get title shots and pushes when others gotta prove themselves over and over or gotta take the long hard road to a title shot, please remember this is a business and like any other business there is politics, strategies and above all if one fighter is going to sell a fight a hell of alot better then the other you better believe the fighter with the marketing skills and the drawing power will get his turn first… some fighters can walk the walk but can they talk the talk and sell a fight to the fans…? self promotion is self preservation… I guess part of a well rounded game is being able to hype/ promote yourself as well- look what it did for Frank Mir.

• JTfromCharlotte says:

Wow.. HUGE fight for free TV!! Can’t wait!

• Bad Monkey says:

This will be an important test for Dos Santos b/c everybody seems to forget that he hasn’t been to the ground yet in any of his UFC fights. He doesn’t deserve a title shot until he shows he can deal with the ground game and/or show upper level takedown defense. If he doesn’t have those ground skills, what do you think is going to happen when someone like Carwin or Velazquez (both very strong wrestlers) take him down and GNP him into jelly.

p.s. Fuck you Directv!!!!! Get this sissy squabble with Versus straightened out so I can see these fights!!!!

• Jstew3785 says:

xtreme_machine: when Dos Santos wins he better get a title shot or at least Cain Velasquez (IF HE WINS/ WHICH I DON’t THINK HE WILL) for the # 1 conterder spotif not then i think Big Nog will get theshot and Dos Santos will be the gate kepper  (Quote)

Dos Santos a gatekeeper? Seriously?

• Angry Mike says:

F***in’ Direct TV. I haven’t seen a WEC event since last year, and now this. Bastards. I hate ’em all.

• Jstew3785 says:

Jstew3785: Dos Santos a gatekeeper? Seriously?  (Quote)

I get thumbs down because you guys don’t have Versus?

• Jstew3785 says:

This is what I meant to quote

• Rich S. says:

Bad Monkey: This will be an important test for Dos Santos b/c everybody seems to forget that he hasn’t been to the ground yet in any of his UFC fights.He doesn’t deserve a title shot until he shows he can deal with the ground game and/or show upper level takedown defense.If he doesn’t have those ground skills, what do you think is going to happen when someone like Carwin or Velazquez (both very strong wrestlers) take him down and GNP him into jelly.

Really?
    You have to be well-rounded to get a title shot these days?
    First of all, your ground game can be nonexistent for all I care, as long as you’re able to get quick knockouts over the opponents that Dos Santos has..
    Second, we know Junior’s ground game is at least good, after all, he trains with the Nogueira’s..
    Third, when’s the last time Carwin proved himself on the ground?
    We sure HEAR a lot about Carwin’s magnificent wrestling, but outwrestling Neil Wain isn’t going to prove to me that you’re a top notch ground fighter..

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan of Carwin…
    But all this negligence towards Junior is kind of turning me against him..

• retrofitting123 says:

Jstew3785: This is what I meant to quoteThis is a bad ass card. Glad I have Versus. This card looks more stacked than some recent UFC PPV’s.  (Quote)

This is more stacked than 108,107.109.104-

• More importantly Why does everyone count out Gabriel Gonzaga? He has actually been in the ring with some real competition. Cigano has been great lately no question, but KOing an out of shape Werdum (why people keep sayin he was number one contender is beyond me.) a new comer in Struve (at the time Stefan hadnt showed us his colors yet.) and a guy who is NOT that good, yeah Im talkin about Gilbert “I cheat to win” Yvel. Gonzaga would slaugher the last two, and he was beating Werdum both times till he gassed(why does everyone forget that?) Gonzo just needs to be smarter about what he does when he rocks someone….case in point he hit Carwin with two HUGE rights and Carwin was almost out on his feet. If Gabe would’ve threw another right instead of takin Carwin down he would’ve won KO of the night and he’d be fighting Mir for the interim title now. JDS is good, but Im takin Big Gabe by TKO or Sub in the 2nd.

• Jak says:

If Cain wins, no big deal, JDS vs. Cain… but that’s a big if…

• Jak: I’ve noticed not many people are mentioning that JDS’s mentor is Big nog, One of the other HW’s in the mix for a title shot. If Nog beats Cain and JDS beats GG, that puts the UFC once again in a sh*t position when it comes to people not wanting to fight each other.If Cain wins, no big deal, JDS vs. Cain… but that’s a big if…  (Quote)

I can only see Cain winning that fight by a lay and pray( and i stress pray that nog doesn’t teach us all a new submission at Cain’s expense) Nog can box better than people give him credit for (ask Randy) and his BJJ is UNGODLY. Cain’s standup is improving by leaps and bounds and he’s got the cardio to go hard all 15( see the ass whupping he gave Kongo for example) but Nog is just too much of a warrior to ever give up on a fight….Nog by sub or TKO round 2!