Melvin Manhoef training at American Top Team for Robbie Lawler

FiveOuncesofPain.com has recently learned from sources close to the fighter that Melvin Manhoef is currently “training like a maniac” for his upcoming middleweight showdown with fellow heavy handed slugger Robbie Lawler, and furthermore has made the trip out to the American Top Team in Coconut Creek for the match-up.

This isn’t the first time Manhoef has made the journey to the Florida based gym to sharpen his skills, as the feared Dutch knockout specialist admitted his intentions of returning to the gym in a 2009 conversation with 5 Oz.

“I will definitely go back to ATT to train,” said Manhoef. “The guys there help me to improve my ground skills and have become good friends of mine.”

Manhoef and Lawler are set to punch one another in the face on January 30 during “Strikeforce: Miami“, which is set to take place on January 30 from the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Florida while airing on Showtime in the United States, and the Super Channel in Canada.

Check out a pic of Manhoef training with ATT boxing coach Howard Davis Jr. courtesy of American Top Team’s Twitter account below:

• Dufresne says:

He needs to stay somewhere and work on his ground game, not just bounce around right before a fight. His standup is some of the best in MMA and if he’s got even a hint of training capability, he’d be a fantastic striking coach at just about any gym. He could trade some of his time training standup for some personal grappling lessons to fix the glaring hole in his game.

That being said I don’t really see Lawler trying to take this to the ground, although he should. He’s got great hands but he’s been dazed and even KO’d by much less powerful strikers than Manhoef. On the flip side, we’ve seen Manhoef look like a lost little child once a fight hits the canvas. If Lawler does get him to the ground, unless ATT can work miracles, he can tee off on Manhoef for some of his Ruthless GnP.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think Melvin has the power and athletic ability to stop any takedown attempt from Lawler(if any). This seems like a taylor made slugfest with the winner probably getting a shot at Henderson after he beats Shields.

• jj says:

Melvin is without doubt one of the most exciting strikers in MMA and kickboxing. This is a great matchup for him and I hope he continues to work on rounding out his skill set. I’ll be getting superchannel for this event.

Hopefully he continues his ground training… the more well rounded of a fighter he becomes the more dangerous he will be, I think he got this… alot of pressure on both fighters for the win but I think a little bit more on Lawler

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Very very good. Manoef needs take down and ground d to be a contender of any description and American top team will try to give him that.

• I like this fight…..dont get me wrong Robbie has the better chance of going to sleep, but Robbie also has a better camp behind him on a permanent basis. While I think ATT is a better camp than the HIT squad, Robbie is full time at the HIT squad and I see a better gameplan being developed on his behalf. That being said game plans tend to go out the window once someone gets cracked, and I see Melvin cracking Robbie. and Koing him in the first.

on a side note..

“Manhoef and Lawler are set to punch one another in the face on January 30 during ‚ÄúStrikeforce: Miami”

Great way of puttin it Cory!

• Guthookd says:

Well, he’s in luck. They have wrestling mats there.