Chris Leben Claims Top Prize at Fight Night 20

Though he may have been relegated to the non-televised portion of UFC Fight Night 20 this past Monday, original Ultimate Fighter alumnus Chris Leben still took home the biggest paycheck at the event by scoring sixty-thousand dollars courtesy of a unanimous decision victory over Jay Silva. The win snapped a two-bout losing streak for “The Crippler” and was the nineteenth of his career. Silva is now 0-2 inside the Octagon. The figure was originally reported by MMAJunkie in cooperation with Virgina’s athletic regulatory commission, the Professional Boxing and Wrestling Program.

Here is a complete rundown of WEC 45 payment information made available to the public including event-specific bonuses:

Nick Catone: $14,000 (includes $7,000 win bonus) def. Jesse Forbes: $6,000

Gerald Harris: $42,000 (includes $6,000 win bonus / $30,000 “Knockout of the Night” bonus) def. John Salter: $6,000

Rafael dos Anjos: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus) def. Kyle Bradley: $8,000

Rory MacDonald: $12,000 (includes $6,000 win bonus) def. Mike Guymon: $6,000

Thiago Tavares: $15,000 def. Nick Lentz: $7,000

Rick Story: $10,000 (includes $5,000 win bonus) def. Jesse Lennox: $7,000

Chris Leben: $60,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus) def. Jay Silva: $6,000

Amir Sadollah: $30,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus) def. Brad Blackburn: $13,000

Aaron Simpson: $52,000 (includes $11,000 win bonus / $30,000 “Fight of the Night” bonus) def. Tom Lawlor: $40,000 (includes $30,000 “Fight of the Night” bonus)

Evan Dunham: $48,000 (includes $9,000 win bonus / $30,000 “Submission of the Night” bonus def. Efrain Escudero: $15,000

Gray Maynard: $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus) def. Nate Diaz: $24,000

• Bad Monkey says:

All I can say is Leben has a good agent! It did seem strange for him to be on the undercard, especially on an UFN that wasn’t even a PPV. I they didn’t show so many damn commercials on Spike they could have fit Leben’s fight in.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

• Bad Monkey says:

Brendhan Conlan: If Leben went to “Blue Mountain State” he would have gotten plenty of face time.  (Quote)

No shit! They wouldn’t shut up about that stupid show, and to top it all off they didn’t even interview Grey Maynard after the MAIN EVENT fight b/c they were in such a hurry to start their lame sitcom.

• king mah mah says:

I’ve always liked Leban and he never fails to entertain. He did get busted for roids, but everyone else has gotten away with it. As long as he doesn’t get popped for roids again I will continue to support him.

I know he lost two fights in a row, but he still should have gotten the air time on this show. Personally I don’t have a problem with him taking home the biggest check.

• Angry Mike says:

• Connor Cobain says:

Angry Mike: I wish I could’ve seen this one. I get the sense that Leben is reaching the end of his fighting career, and I’ve always enjoyed his reckless abandon. Maybe it’ll show up on a rebroadcast.  (Quote)

I actually don’t agree with that. I think that Leben is at the point Forrest Griffin reached. Why go into a fight with a “up in you face approach”. Leben is only 29 and can easily keep fighting if he puts in the training time.

• PlagueAngel says:

In fairness to blue mountain drink, there was a 3 some in its first episode so when you compare that to a Leben fight…I think we got the goods! Leben will be around long after he is cut from the UFC. I wonder if Maynard knew he wasn’t getting the title shot before the fight? It certainly didn’t seem he was executing like a man proving a title shot was deserved even though people think he is a boring fighter.

• elkymbo says:

I actually wonder whether Mike Goldberg knows what he’s on about sometimes or if he’s some sort of robot with about 15 pre-programmed comments on the fight game and an internet up link directly into Spike TV’s commercial division. He certainly does spew forth a shit load of commercial bullshit for a human.

He who gets the last laugh…
    Leben can now laugh all the way to the bank – who needs TV time?

• Angry Mike says:

I’m not questioning Leben’s heart or skills, I just wonder if fighting is still his passion. When a guy hits 30, he’s more likely to take stock and make some life choices. My bet is that Leben drifts away over the next year or two. We’ll see, I guess.

• Guthookd says:

Man, I can’t find this fight anywhere. When I saw the round scores I scoured the net wanting to see Leben in a successful fight, but to no avail. Dang.

Good for him that he won though. He needed a win.