Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort set for UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi

The highly anticipated middleweight championship match-up between fellow Brazilians Anderson Silva and Vitor Belfort finally looks like it has a place and time, and it’s destination Abu Dhabi.

The news comes courtesy of Belfort’s manager in a recent report at MMAJunkie.com, who stated that the two will face off during UFC 112.

Th event is expected to take place on April 10 from the United Arab Emirate based city that the UFC has recently aligned itself with through it’s recent partnership with Flash Entertainment.

Silva will be gunning for his eleventh consecutive victory since his arrival in the UFC and sixth title defense at 185 pounds, while Belfort will be coming off of a series of five consecutive wins, with a trio of knockouts in his last three over the likes of Terry Martin, Matt Lindland and Rich Franklin.

A full list of the bouts expected for UFC 112 at this point are listed below:

Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort (middleweight championship)
B.J. Penn vs. Frankie Edgar
(lightweight championship)
Renzo Gracie vs. Matt Hughes
Kendall Grove vs.
TBA

• frizzle says:

Turning into a sick card if it goes through

• Angry Mike says:

I wonder what size attendance they expect. UAE isn’t easy or cheap for US or Canadian fans.

• Dufresne says:

I guess they’re trying to put on a hell of a show for their new business partners. Two of the most dominant champions defending their belts in one night.
    Should be an awesome card as long as it doesn’t get hit by the injury curse.

• fanoftna33 says:

I am looking forward to seeing this card, Renzo Gracie finally in the UFC.

• MMApride19 says:

Wow, this card is seriously huge. The fact that Anderson Silva and BJ Penn are on the same card is unbelievable. Those two would easily excite me about a card when just one of them are fighting, but to have both defending there titles on the same card, is just extremely exciting. I will definetly be counting down the days to this event, as it stands at the moment its a GREAT card, but with more fights to be announced, it could end up being truely amazing.

• Midget says:

Rece Rock: Hmm isn’t the time like 15 hours in advance over here or something? think its like the 9am wed in the UAE if its 12am tues in NYC?! wonder how they will schedule the PPV … doubt there doing 2 title fights for a freebie so wonder what the deal is because any chance for spoilers will kill buyrates i’m sure, but I guess with these 2 big fights ppl will buy anyway  (Quote)

The scheduling will probably be done the same as UFC 110 in Australia. It is still probably going on live at prime time Saturday night in USA. The event will just be on at a different time in UAE. UFC 110 is on at 12pm on Sunday afternoon to cater for the North American market as this is where the majority of revenue will be generated for the event.

• egad81 says:

BJ and Anderson Silva on the same card is awesome no matter who they are fighting.

Great Card! A+ even with Grove on there

• KTru says:

just like UFC 101. Only that anderson will be defending his title as well

• Guthookd says:

Those four fights alone make a PPV. Good stuff.

I have a feeling this might end up being Belfort’s last fight in the UFC.

• KTru says:

Guthookd: Those four fights alone make a PPV.Good stuff.I have a feeling this might end up being Belfort’s last fight in the UFC.

one loss against the possible pound for pound king and he gets the boot?

I sure as hell would not want to work for you

• YES…finally a challenge for A. SIlva. The question about this one really is who’s faster. Anderson is lightning quick and so is Vitor, either one can end it with one shot. I cant see this one getting out of the first. Either Vitor storms over there and catches the spider on the jaw or Anderson counters the phenom and its over…all within the first 4:30.

• king mah mah says:

Vitor is gonna knock Anderson’s ass OUT!!!! Time for a change of throne.

• xtreme_machine says:

Vitor wins via decision

Just like shogun should of won

or maybe late 4rd or 5th tko

• Lethal Liquid says:

What an amazing card. This is the upside to all the injuries at 108.

• Angry Mike says:

Silva has destroyed a murder’s row of aggressive strikers including Franklin, Leben and Cote. The resurgent Belfort has been impressive, but he hasn’t fought anybody even close to Silva. A focused, prepared Silva will knock him out in the second. If Silva doesn’t properly prepare or get properly motivated, that’s his problem, not Belfort’s credit.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Mike Cote retired hurt and Leben is as close to Belfort at striking as Manoef is to Maia at bjj in my opinion. I don’t think that Silva has ever faced a striker such as Belfort. I pick Belfort in the 2nd here.

• JabCrossHook says:

Angry Mike I dunno what you are talking about, Vitor had just as much if not more quality opponents than Anderson. He fought Randy Couture, Gilbert Yvel, Alistair Overeem, Dan Henderson, Matt Lindland, Wanderlai Silva, and Chuck Lidell.

• elkymbo says:

Midget:

I just noticed that 2 people gave thumbs down for you graciously explaining to us the time difference and how that will affect the U.S. What the fuck is wrong with some people?

• elkymbo says:

Oh yeah and when I saw this card I jizzed in my pants!

• elkymbo says:

And has anyone noticed that Anderson Silva has a huge head? Maybe Vitor might be able to knock it off. You never know…..

• Guthookd says:

KTru: one loss against the possible pound for pound king and he gets the boot?I sure as hell would not want to work for you  (Quote)

LOL. I wouldn’t fire him man. I was just thinking how ruthless the UFC is with losses. He’s done a good job so far, don’t get me wrong. He looks to be rejuvinated actually. I guess I was kinda thinking of when they gave Monson a title shot against Tim and after the loss we didn’t see Monson in the UFC again (to my knowledge).

I actually think the UFC is too quick to let fighters go.

• Angry Mike says:

JabCrossHook:

Oh, come on now. Belfort has fought big names in the past, but how did he fare? He lost to Henderson (2006), lost twice to Overeem (2005 and 2006), lost the last time he fought Couture, (2004) and lost to Liddell (2002). His 2004 win in the first fight with Couture was a doctor stoppage due to a cut. He beat Yvel by decision in 2000, and his tko win over Wanderlei was in 1998. You can’t seriously compare that record to Anderson Silva’s, who has dominated in fight after fight. Anderson will lose the belt one day if he continues to fight and doesn’t retire, but on paper you have to go with him over Belfort

IMO-

Silva leaves UFC as the champ has one last BIG payday outside the UFC whether its a boxing match or a MMA match and takes his bow and retires…..

• JabCrossHook says:

He lost most of those by decision and he was never really dominated in any of those fights. Not to mention he’s been through a lot of personal issues with his sister being kidnapped. But that wasn’t my point, my point was that Vitor had MORE quality opponents than Anderson, he fought a lot more bigger dudes. And he definently has the ground game to beat Silva. Lately, he’s been more dangerous because of his unpredictability. Before he had his boxing and BJJ, but now he uses Muay Thai, and Karate to bring more offensive weapons. Anderson’s striking is so versatile and his reach advantage is going to count a lot. But with Vitor, all it takes is one punch from either hand and the entire fight changes. Or if he gets Anderson on the ground, he has a good chance to win. Anderson has the better record but IMO Vitor gets the advantage in experience. I’ve been looking at Anderson’s fights and he probably fought a total of 6 exceptional opponents. Rich Franklin, Forrest Griffin (one can argue Griffin fought Anderson’s game instead of his), Dan Henderson, Nate Marquardt, Lee Murray (who knocked out Tito in a bar fight), and maybe Chris Leben. Vitor’s record speaks for itself, a lot more bigger names than Anderson faced. He finished Wanderlai Silva in his prime in 1998 so that’s just even more significant. But Anderson still might win but Vitor has the best shot out of anyone who has faced him.

• Dufresne says:

You seem to be forgetting that Anderson is no slouch on the ground either. He’s a BJJ black belt under the Nogueira brothers and has been training since his childhood. Don’t forget he tapped out Travis Lutter (albeit a dehydrated Lutter who was getting elbowed in the head) and is one of the very few people to ever submit Hendo (the other being Anderson’s BJJ trainer).

I don’t think Vitor is the biggest threat to Silva’s title reign, but as several people have already said, he can end it with one shot. That being said, I’ve never seen him take a solid shot from any of his opponents to date and I’m not positive that Vitor will be the one to land it.

I’m taking Silva in this fight with a stoppage in the early second.

• PlagueAngel says:

If you really want to break down this fight you have to focus on striking. Lets not look at current fights because most of Belforts huge wins…wait a second…they were mostly loses against fighters who are much different now. Belfort has never faced this kind of fighter before in that Silva has both technical boxing, power, and speed. Not to mention a huge FIVE inch reach advantage. The win against Franklin was alright, but Silva is on another level. I’m going to take a lot of heat from Franklin, Wanderlai, and Tito fans for this but I don’t care about these fighters today. Belfort is a different fighter today and he is rising again, but he will have to be ready to fight a real warrior and a man who has only lost one round in TEN UFC fights.

• Bad Monkey says:

It’s an awful long way to Dubai for Vitor to travel just to get knocked out. Also, funny they use an old picture of Belfort when he was still all jacked up in his LHW days. Silva by KO in the 2nd, won’t even break a sweat.

• FroMuaythai47 says:

Vitor has matured so much mentally and has refined his style so much that I dont think any of his older fights are any indication of what we will see against the Spider. If you watch his last two fights you will see what I mean. He could get knocked out like anyone else but the people who talk shit about him have no idea how incredibly fast his hands really are! Anderson decimated Rich Franklin but look at how long Rich hung in there taking knee after knee before going down. Vitor put him out with a few punches that Rich never even saw. I’m just saying… this is no cake walk for Vitor but dont count him out!