Efrain Escudero: ‘Nothing broke’

IMG_0348a With the memory of Shinya Aoki snapping Mizuto Hirota’s arm on New Year’s Eve freshly stamped in the collective conscience of the Mixed Martial Arts world, fans fearing the worst after watching Efrain Escudero clutch his arm shortly after tapping out to UFC Fight Night 20 opponent Evan Dunham can now breathe a sigh of relief courtesy of a recent posting on Escudero’s Twitter page. Also unbroken appears to be the Ultimate Fighter Season 8 champion’s spirit…

“Hey guys out the hospital…nothing broke…lil messed up, tenderness. I will be back soon now in hungry!! And expect and Evan vs. Efrain 2!!!”

The defeat was the first of Escudero’s career, dropping his record to 12-1. Dunham is now on a three-fight winning streak inside the Octagon and remains undefeated as a professional. His performance at the event netted “Submission of the Night” honors.

• fanoftna33 says:

• Guthookd says:

He sure did wait a while to tap. I’m glad nothing is seriously damaged though. I agree Fanof, he’ll be back better than before. Plus he’s so young, he really has time to work on any aspect of his game he feels is dificient.

Good fight.

• Jstew3785 says:

Escudero fell in love too much with his striking. Looks like he punched himself out in the first round. He’s lucky that Dunham wasn’t a better striker when he was rushing in throwing arm punches. Could have looked like Bowles-Torres.

• Dufresne says:

He’s very lucky that nothing serious happened with as long as he waited. I’m all for trying to get out of submission and trying to win a fight, but when it’s a submission that could easily end your entire career, you might want to tap a little sooner.

• fanoftna33 says:

You have to admit the guy is tough, although thats not quite the way he should prove it, but maybe he thought he could pull the arm out or he felt it wasnt as tight as it looked for a while.

• Jstew3785 says:

fanoftna33: This guy looked so good in the first round, I think with this loss he will come back a much better fighter. Dunham also really impressed coming back from the punishment he took to a very nice win. This was a pretty good fight.  (Quote)

I agree. Hopefully he comes back with a better gas tank and some improved boxing.

• Snoop Dogg says:

He should have been able to finish the fight in the 1st round… after that knee and the knock down.

He threw enough punched just didn’t have much behind them… if your going to expense that much energy you better be sure it’s to end the fight.

• Jstew3785 says:

Snoop Dogg: Efrain is the man I really like this guy but I think he is too small for the LW divsion. When Evan was on top of him he had no problem ground and pounding Efrain because of the extreme size advantage. I really hope the WEC and UFC come together so Efrain can fight for the 145 strap  (Quote)

So after losing at 155 to a relative nobody he should surpass Faber, Brown, Gamburyan etc and get an immediate title shot?

• Rich S. says:

I’m really liking Efrain’s striking…
    I mean, that’s something we didn’t even get to see on the show..
    All we saw was his great submissions..

Which leads me to something else.. He seemed to be overpowered everywhere in this fight.. As soon as it went to the cage Dunham seemed to have the control, and on the ground Efrain couldn’t even maintain top position..

Also, I still think his cardio is THE ONLY REASON he lost..
    He’s got heavy hands, nice striking, and great grappling, he just needs to work on not burning himself out, and he needs to pack on some muscle or something to be able to get some control over the bigger Lightweights..

• Lethal Liquid says:

Glad he’s ok. Nothing broke but something is definitely sprung. You gotta know when you’re beat and get back at them next time

• Rich S. says:

Oh, and it’s great news that he’s not injured.. The last thing he needs right now, especially after a loss, is an injury layoff..

• Nick Havok says:

Escudero-Dunham 2???

Why?

Efrain got beat down for the majority of the fight and was brutally finished. A rematch would just be a waste of time for Dunham now.

He has bigger fish to fry.

• Angry Mike says:

Glad his arm is ok, or at least not broken. Shoulda tapped quicker, though, because that arm bar was tight, and he had no chance of escaping.