Aaron Simpson’s Comeback Win Named “Fight of the Night”

Though a series of well-timed strikes from opponent Tom Lawlor nearly delivered the first loss of Aaron Simpson’s career in the opening frame of their fight, the Arizona Combat Sports captain not only battled back for a win but also assisted in procuring “Fight of the Night” honors in the process for the mutual effort shown by both middleweights.

Also taking home an additional $30,000 check for their performances at Fight Night 20 were Gerald Harris and Evan Dunham. Harris was awarded “Knockout of the Night” after flattening undefeated prospect John Salter in the third round of their undercard bout, while Dunham’s gruesome armbar of Efrain Escudero in the event’s co-headliner netted a deserving “Submission of the Night” distinction. The bonuses were first reported by MMAJunkie.

• Nick Havok says:

Dunham’s armbar was sick.

As soon as he pulled it off I was like, ‘that guy probably just earned himself 30gs for that.’

…and rightfully so.

Too bad all the other fights ran so damn long and we weren’t able to see the KO of the night. But hey, we got to sit through about a dozen Smokey the Bear commercials.

Remember, only YOU can prevent forest fires!

• Hohlraum says:

The Escudero vs. Dunham was the fight of the night. Simpson didn’t really come back _that_ much. He basically out pointed a 2 round grappling match. I’m not complaining, he was entertaining to watch but the E vs D fight was better.

• Dufresne says:

Simpson completely deserved FoN. He was completely dominated for the first round, edged out the second round, and dominated himself the 3rd round in a very entertaining fight.

Dunham also deserved SoN. That was ridiculous. I can’t believe Escudero didn’t tap earlier, it was pretty obvious that he wasn’t going to get out of that, and in the end he got himself hurt. I hope it’s not a serious injury, but he’s been around the game long enough to know that if you don’t tap, something bad is gonna happen.

• MCM says:

Agreed Hohlraum. I thought the Lawler/Simpson match was looking pretty sad come Rd3. Tom just gassed so hard he was basically just holding onto Aaron for the entire round.
    Escudero vs. Dunham was IMO easily the fight of the night.

• YetiLee says:

I don’t think Simpson deserved FOTN, hell he didn’t even deserve the win. I thought Lawlor won the first 2 rounds and Simpson the 3rd. I think what happened was at the end of the 2nd when Lawlor pulled guard I think 2 of the judges gave Simpson credit for the take down when they shouldn’t have.

But it doesn’t matter anyways because what is done is done, but I agree with the others and Dunham and Escudero was FOTN.

• Kuch says:

I think Lawlor could have finished Simpson in the first round, but he backed off and let him recover, which sort of boggled my mind. I understand Lawlor not wanting to gas himself out, but he probably could have pushed it and finished the fight. He made the wrong call IMO.

• Guthookd says:

Man, Simpson was getting whooped on there for a while. I couldn’t believe he pulled it out and turned it around.

Great fight.

• Simpson didn’t win that fight. Great heart but he didn’t win that fight.

If I were Lawlor I would want a rematch as soon as possible and this time I would wind sprint my ass off in training and finish the fight this time.

• Rich S. says:

Tom made a huge mistake..
    I mean, not that big of a mistake, because had it worked, he would’ve won..
    But chasing Aaron down and blowing all your gas on 100 power punches isn’t that smart..
    I just think if he would’ve stepped back and kept popping Simpson with those counters, we would’ve actually seen the “KO of the Night” handed out..

No credit taken from Simpson though.. I really don’t know how he survived..

• king mah mah says:

It was a great fight, but I still think Lawlor won.

Can someone please tell me what is expected of you to score a 10-8 round! Because that first round was a 10-8 if I’ve ever seen one! Lawlor rocked him numerous times and dominated the entire round. What the hell else do you need to do?!

What is the point of 10 point system if you don’t utilize all 10 points? Why does it always have to be a 10-9 round unless there are points deducted? That really bugs the piss out of me!

If Lawlor didn’t deserve a 10-8 that first round then 10-8 rounds don’t exist!

• Nick Havok says:

Ok seriously…I’m seeing that same Smokey the Bear ad at the top of this website now.

Why does he think that MMA fans are the ones responsible?

That is so racist!

• Angry Mike says:

Lawlor/Simpson was a good fight, but I thought Lawlor won it. He was gassed in the third, but Simpson didn’t really do much damage. Lawlor clearly won the first round, and I gave him the edge in the second.

Speaking of scoring, who was the judge who scored the fight 30-27 for Diaz? All three rounds? That was off the wall.

P.S.: I don’t see an ad at the top referencing Smoky Bear, but I do see an ad for an athletic gear by a company named “Rupture.” Why not “Pulled Hamstring?” “Concussion?” “Blown ACL?”

• fightfan says:

MMA scoring ABSOLUTELY f**king shameful. 10 pt must system my ass. They use a 1 pt must system. For example in this fight……

Lawlor nearly finished Simpson3 or 4 times and completely dominates him as close as someone can without finishing him. And the judges say 10-9 Lawlor

In round 2 it was very close. No one was dominate. I still think Lawlor did a little more. But anyhow they give the SAME score- 10 9 to Simpson. That is RiF**KingDICULIS.

So basically rd 2 could have been the msot boring rd EVER. Say NO ONE throws any punches and kicks. Someone has to win the rd 10-9. And tht has equal weight to what Lawlor did to SImpson…..F**king disgusted at these judges who are so clueless as to what they are doing to peopel careers.

If you are going to use a BOXING 10 pt must system…then USE IT!!!! What is a 10-8 rd then?? What more could Lawlor have done to make it a 10-8 round???

Even with all that bull, I still think Lawlor won round 2 also.

• king mah mah says:

@fightfan- Agree 100%.

Yeah and if a round is so close and so hard to score then how come we never see a 10-10 round? Or a 9-9 round? Why do we always see 10-9 rounds damn it!!

If you’re going to use 10 points, then USE all of them. Why can’t we ever see a 8-6 round? what about a 3-2 round….. you know, where neither fighter does damage and they are laying around or just holding a clinch. USE ALL TEN POINTS!!