JP: I’ll sleep when I’m dead

I woke up this morning tired. Staying up late to watch WEC 46 when you have to wake up at five in morning is no fun. I thought for a second, I’ll go to bed early tonight, then I remembered it will be another late night with UFC Fight Night 20 on tap.

This is a good problem to have.

With the beginning of 2010 upon us, there are more MMA events than ever. Its seems as if every week there is a new show to watch, breaking news to cover, or announcements that leave you salivating for more.

Long ago are the days when only about four shows aired per year, with each one, leaving you with a sense that it could be the last. Even further removed are the days when you could only find bad VHS recordings of old UFC events to hold you off until a new show appeared. It’s been a rocky road for MMA but it seems as if it’s finally made it.

A few examples of this are when I was in an electronic superstore the other day and happened to walk by the sports DVDs. Lined up in row were about 20 to 25 UFC titles ranging from Ultimate Knockouts to UFC 1 through 5. I even seen a Pride I didn’t have, so I quickly added that to my collection.

The next day I went to the grocery store and ventured down the magazine rack. Right in the front row I saw titles such as Ultimate MMA Magazine, FIGHT! Magazine, and TAPOUT Magazine. They even had the UFC Magazine stacked in front of Mens Fitness.

Not to mention the internet. Although I like to think you diehards only frequent 5oz. for your MMA information, there are dozens of sites that could be chosen. It almost seems like a new one pops up every week.

My point is that not long ago you had to really search out to find mixed martial arts. It was like an underground phenomenon that didn’t quite reach the masses. We all knew it was something special and knew it was just a matter of time before the whole world caught up.

So as I sit here complaining about my lack of sleep, I think back to the late 1990’s when we were lucky to see more than four shows a year, let alone four major shows in a month.

Two shows in two days, Ill sleep when I’m dead…

• king mah mah says:

Yeah I have the same problem. I get up at 5 or 5:30 depending on if there is snow on the roads. Plus I work outside in the elements, so late nights watching mma combined with some alcohol and getting up early don’t mix too good on the job!

But what the hell! I’ll do it all over again tonight!

• Brendhan Conlan says:

As someone who has pulled many an all-nighter watching Japanese MMA I know where you’re coming from.

• Lethal Liquid says:

I there with you brother this sport is infectious. Expose anyone 2 it and they will be hooked. From the outhouse to the penthouse

• Makington says:

Personally I don’t sleep much, which is fine for me. I find sleep boring, and there are so many things to do at almost anytime, so I kind of look at it as a kind of weird gift I was given. I haven’t slept 8 hours in atleast 6 years now, usually around 4 or 5 on a regular day. It has occured to me that maybe I have some sort of ADHD, and what I thought was a cool little skill is actually something wrong with my body, but meh. There’s a whole world outside of MMA, and compared to sleeping it away I wouldn’t have it ay other way.

And just cause I know you’re dying to hear it Jason (and staff) this is the only MMA site I frequent enough to comment on. I browse others to see little tidbits of info you guys didn’t think were as important.

If I’m lucky, I’ll get the chance to stay up every night watching all different kinds of MMA in the future when it becomes even more mainstream.

• fanoftna33 says:

• Guthookd says:

Word to that homie.

• Makington says:

fanoftna33: I remember checking the cable guide every month for the next ufc ppv, and really getting excited when they advertised the first ultimate ultimate, man was that great or what.

Haha oh man, cable guides!

We’ve come a hell of a long way sir.

• paddiosf says:

Im always jonesing for more MMA everyday and I m up now after waking up at 5:00am and Im here surfing the various MMA sites and forum looking for breaking news and articles on whats next…

• Lerner17 says:

With a teething 4 month old at home I don’t get to sleep as it is, so I guess in a weird way I have to thank my son for being able to stay up for hours on end watching MMA. And except for him being crabby due to the teeth, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

• Dufresne says:

I don’t get to sleep much either being in grad school, and nothing helps me destress quite like MMA. I’m one of those people that does check other MMA sites for news, but 5oz is my homepage and I check it probably 20x more often than my next closest news site. Hell, I check the BBC before I go to most of them, lol.

I love how far this sport has gone, and how much further it is poised to go and the growing number of shows on cable, ppv, and even network tv now prove that it’s that much closer to being a “mainstream” sport.

JP- “This is a good problem to have.”

INDEED!

• edub says:

I remember going to blockbuster in late 2004 and renting UFC 43.

I actually watched UFC 1 live with my dad when I was about 8, but I hated it. I actually thought it was boring as all hell. So I didnt really become a fan and stayed with wwf/wcw for about the next 6 or 7 years til that got old. Then tito vs Ken happened.

I watched that fight thru my step dads credit card, purposely missing the rest of the card to watch South Park re-runs. I wasn’t instantly hooked but my view was changed. Shamrock who I thought was gonna destroy Tito got blasted, and beaten into a bloody mess.

While down at JMU I got bored as I was failing classes, drinking too much, smoking too much “..”, and had a crap job. Enter UFC 43… Meltdown.

As I started off watching I instantly became a fan of Tra Telligman. My thoughts were “Dude, this guy has got one fukin peck, to compete with that is pretty ballsy.”

Through me having a chuckle when Matt Lindland knocked himself out, to not understanding why Wes Sims was getting disqualified for stomping on Frank Mir’s face; my anticipation was building. Then came Chuck vs. Randy 1.

I sat and watched this guy who at the time was about to be 40 years old completely tool another fighter who was supposedly supposed to smash him. I mean the guy from fear factor seemed amazed at what was transpiring. As he out boxed, and continuously slammed through his mohawked opponent i sat closer and closer to the tv. When the ref stopped it I went nuts. Waking all my roomates up going nuts over a fight that was over a year old.

After renting every single DVD I could I was hooked. I didnt even get into the internet for another year.