Henderson submits Varner, Faber taps Assuncao during WEC 46

In a battle of fellow Arizona based lightweight champions, only one man could be crowned the king of the WEC‘s 155 pound division, and when the dust had a chance to settle it was Ben Henderson who ended up catching Jamie Varner in a lightning quick submission to unify the title once and for all.

After two and a half hard fought rounds from both fighters it seemed as though Varner may have a slight edge on the scorecards based on a slight edge standing before he was trapped in the fight ending arm in guillotine as he went for a takedown.

Urijah Faber was also in action as he outclassed the highly regarded Raphael Assuncao with superior striking and takedowns before trapping the Jiu-Jitsu specialist in a tight rear-naked choke in the third and final round.

WEC featherweight champion Jose Aldo was in attendance and entered the cage following Faber’s victory, setting up an inevitable title clash between the two in the near future.

A full list of the results from the card are listed below:

Will Campuzano defeats Coty Wheeler via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)

Eddie Wineland defeats George Roop via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)

Mark Hominick defeats Bryan Caraway via submission (armbar) round 1

Wagnney Fabiano defeats  Clint Godfrey via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)

Charlie Valencia defeats Akitoshi Tamura via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)

Deividas Taurosevicius defeats Mackens Semerzier via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)

Mike Brown defeats Anthony Morrison via submission (rear-naked choke) round 1

Kamal Shalorus defeats Dave Jansen via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)

Urijah Faber defeats Raphael Assuncao via submission (rear-naked choke) round 3

Benson Henderson defeats Jamie Varner via submission (guillotine) round 3

• mu_shin says:

Great night of fights, with several really close well matched contests.

Taurosevicius stood in against a game Semerzier, and stood strong. Mike Brown overwhelmed a not ready for prime time Anthony Morrison. Shalorus and Janses really banged away for three good rounds.

Uriah Faber seemed serious, intent, focused, and ready to mix it up. Assuncao was up to the task, tough and in great shape. Uriah got two knockdowns with a looping right that seemed to say his hand is healthy, and then sunk in a rear naked against a strong BJJ practitioner. Glad to see him back, and would like to see him fight Mike Brown again, then Aldo for the belt.

Varner came to fight, seemed to have the fight going his way with good stand up, and then a great submission by Henderson. Mentioned in another post, reminded me of the standing guillotine Renzo Gracie pulled on Pat Milletich, and Henderson proves he was the better man on this night.

Varner proves he is not a gracious loser by saying Henderson didn’t want to fight, but this is MMA, not boxing or kickboxing. Last time I looked, getting choked out means you lose the belt. Jamie is a good fighter and has good skills; if he works his way up again, I’d watch him contend for the title, but this is one fan who would rather watch him prove himself in the cage rather than listen to his excuses after a loss.

• xtreme_machine says:

Faber vs Aldo

I can’t wait

• 3OAM says:

I’m sure I’m gonna get tons of thumbs down, but fxck Jamie Varner. I really don’t like that guy.

Not only is he an indignant loser, but the persona he puts on so the crowd will like him seems so contrived and fake. He’s a good fighter and all, but he’s really up his own ass.

• BigDave says:

Jamie Varner needs to enroll in the BJ Penn school of whiny bitch!

• PlagueAngel says:

Did anyone see that female cop escorting out the main event fighters? She was on the right and she was super hot! Let the tomatoes fly…

• nate says:

time for benhen to jump to the bigger leagues? also aldo vs faber will be sweet!

• Rich S. says:

Well, Varner did kind of surprise me (even though I picked him to win) in that he didn’t seem to be affected by the layoff..

WITH THAT SAID, I think he wanted nothing to do with those body shots.. I would say he hurt a rib or something, but I’m sure he would use that as an excuse for the loss if it were the case.. Every time Jamie smiled I thought “He’s in so much pain right now.” I mean, how could you tap before giving GRAVITY a shot at getting you out of the submission? At least slam, or just fall, anything productive with the couple seconds that your hand was in the air waiting to tap would be nice..

Assuncao did a great job, but I feel like he let the hype get a hold of him.. Either way it’ll be nice to see his comeback, and it’s nice to see Urijah back in the “W” column..

• Jstew3785 says:

Faber looked awesome. The first round was pretty even but the second and obviously the third belonged to Faber. Good to see him healthy and back on track.
    All of the fights were great tonight. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: The WEC is the best promotion out there.

• Rich S. says:

Jstew3785: I think Varner was speaking the truth after the fight. I didn’t get upset at all, I actually laughed about it. I’m sure I’ll get a bunch of thumbs down but I wasn’t impressed with Henderson at all. He’s extremely one dimensional. All he can do is wrestle, kinda reminds me of Matt Hughes. Top notch wrestler, no striking whatsoever. Varner was handling Henderson before he got caught. Not sure why he tapped so soon, maybe the choke was so tight he knew he wasn’t going to get out of it.

Sure. Ben isn’t exactly among the best strikers in the WEC’s Lightweight division. But, I don’t think you’ll be seeing Matt Hughes go for headkicks, backfists, or flying knees anytime soon.. Henderson really does have dynamic striking, he just doesn’t have a lot of knockout power.. I certainly wouldn’t call him a one-dimensional wrestler..

• Hohlraum says:

I hope that Faber vs Aldo is only happening because Brown said he didn’t want to try Aldo again so soon. Brown has proven that Faber can’t beat him and lets all be honest. Brown did not look like himself from the second the bell rang in the Aldo fight.

• Dufresne says:

Henderson made me look prophetic last night.
    I was pulling for him simply because something about Varner just rubs me the wrong way and my friends were giving me hell about the beating he was taking from Varner. Right as Varner went for that takedown I told them that this was Henderson’s best shot to end it, and what did he do? Standing guillotine. Beautiful.

I still don’t get why Varner didn’t try and get out of that though. I know it was tight, Henderson was using not only his entire upper body to cinch it in, but also his entire body’s weight, but to not even try to get out when the belt is on the line? Henderson was in some pretty serious submission attempts by Cowboy, but I don’t think it even crossed his mind to tap, I guess that’s one of the differences between a champ and 2nd place.

Faber looked like a wrecking ball again. I don’t know how he comes in at weight with that much muscle packed on, but man is he powerful. His striking looked good, but not quite where it used to be, although I’m sure that will come back as his hands continue to heal.

If they can set it up, I would absolutely LOVE to see Faber v Aldo, it might even be the best choice they could make for the WEC’s first PPV. I know I’d buy it.

– Varner was oh so humble in defeat… when are these guys going to learn less is more in these post fight interviews.

– Faber looked good and I’m a big fan I just hope he is ready for Aldo.

– You can tell Brown is hundry still and wants that belt back, he’s on a mission.

– Henderson is a new breed of fighter and it seems like he gets better as the fight goes on.

• Johnnybigone says:

I just can’t understand for the life of me that standing guillotine. It bugs me that someone would even tap to something like that.

If you’re arms crackling and about to break I can maybe understand. A STANDING guillotine where you put absolutely no effort into escaping, not even mentioning its a title fight.. I would be embarrassed to tap.

• Paulo says:

Varner doesn’t have the heart to be a champion, and his post fight comments were ridiculous. “He came to grapple, I came to fight..blah blah.” I thought I saw Varner get caught in a guillotine while he was shooting for a double leg. Going for a double leg is grappling! And how does a champion tap to a standing guillotine? Try to pick him up and dump him in side control. At least let it go to the ground and try to scramble. He didn’t lose the belt, he quit.

• manny says:

Aldo vs faber…. Aldo by KO or Sub

Aldo is WAY faster than faber and will not be taken down. Speed was the factor in last nights match up and raphael couldn’t deal with it.
    I cant wait for Aldo to destroy faber in his home town b/c he ALWAYS fights in sacarmento.
    The WEC sure do love the guy but he will NOT win his title bak, it will be staying in Aldo’s hands for a long time.When he loses, i’m pretty sure he;ll get a quick re-match since he got 2 title shots in less than a yr and lost both to brown, as they want him to be champ but it won’t happen. sorry faber’s fans.

• manny says:

Maybe Varner tapped b/c he’s scared to face Cerrone? He had been avoiding him. Only thing I can think of

• edub says:

Dufresne: still don’t get why Varner didn’t try and get out of that though. I know it was tight, Henderson was using not only his entire upper body to cinch it in, but also his entire body’s weight, but to not even try to get out when the belt is on the line? Henderson was in some pretty serious submission attempts by Cowboy, but I don’t think it even crossed his mind to tap, I guess that’s one of the differences between a champ and 2nd place.

well said.

• edub says:

Next thing to think about is does Henderson deserve a spot in the top ten?

• Jstew3785 says:

edub: Next thing to think about is does Henderson deserve a spot in the top ten?  (Quote)

I think he needs to beat someone top 10 to deserve to be in the top 10

• Dufresne says:

(Quote)

I would have to say no. He’s a good lightweight, but I have at least 2, possibly 3 other LWs in the WEC alone ahead of him. Then I have at least 5and possibly as many as 8 from the UFC, 3 from DREAM and at least 3 more from StrikeForce.

• cocoonofhorror says:

[Blatant fighter bashing will not be tolerated- Staff]

• Henderson as champ?? hard for me so see, I don’t think he won the fight with Cerrone. 1st round was close cecause of the early submissions by Cerrone but the ground and pound by Henderson after that made it close but I gave it the Henderson, and early second was all Henderson with the ground and pound but after that he was getting owed and finished with a swollen eye…2 more rounds and Henderson would have been broken for sure. How he is able to get out of the submissions Cerrone put on him is beyond me but whatever…I don’t give him the win for that. I hope him and Cerrone get to fight again and Cerrone finishes him so I don’t have to here that Christ bullshit..keep it to yourself Henderson. No offense to anyone who uses that method for strength but keep it to yourself. Anyone who has a brain knows were created by some thing.

Varner didn’t look like the same Varner that fought Cerrone. He wasn’t striking at all. I don’t like Varner at all but I think the lay off hurt him.

Faber didn’t want to break those hands again. He wasn’t throwing very much. He looksed good though. I think he needs another fight b4 he fights Aldo though and even then he’s going to loose. Aldo made Brown look like a rookie and he will do it to Faber. Aldo is all business and Faber plays around to much. Sorry Faber ..It’s Aldo time and I don’t see anyone in the WEC beating that guy.

• Nick Havok says:

I just couldn’t believe how quickly Varner tapped out.

…much quicker than Gregory Hines on speed. That’s for sure.