Bobby Lashley vs. Yohan Banks on tap for “Strikeforce: Miami”

yohan banksAs FiveOuncesofPain.com was able to squash rumors of a possible heavyweight showdown between Shane Del Rosario and Bobby Lashley earlier this week, it now appears as though the heavy handed Yohan Banks is currently being tapped as the next opponent for the massive TNA superstar.

The possibility of the match-up was first reported by MMAWeekly.com, and FiveOuncesofPain.com has since been able to confirm through Strikeforce Director of Communications, Mike Afromowitz, that Banks has in fact been approved through the promotion as the next opponent for Lashley, but is currently awaiting the official stamp of approval from the athletic commission and the Showtime network to seal the deal.

“Strikeforce: Miami” will take place on January 30 from the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Florida, while airing live on Showtime.

A decorated amateur wrestler, this will be Lashley’s first bout back since putting a first round mugging on Bob Sapp back in June of 2009, while the 2-1 Banks was last seen knocking Michael Diaz senseless during “Strikeforce: Young Guns 3” back in September of 2009.

Below is a full list of the bouts expected to take place during “Strikeforce: Miami”:

Nick Diaz vs. Marius Zaromskis

Cristiane Santos vs. Marloes Coenen

Melvin Manhoef vs. Robbie Lawler

Herschel Walker vs. Greg Nagy

Bobby Lashley vs. Yohan Banks

Jay Hieron vs. Joe Riggs

Craig Oxley vs. David Gomez

Sabah Homasi vs. John Kelly

Pablo Alfonso vs. Marcos da Matta

• retrofitting123 says:

well i was kinda hoping lashley was stepping up in competion.unless this guy catches lashley with a haymaker it will be over quick

• slammy862 says:

Man are they easing him into the mma water.

Might be a good long term strategy, though

Problem is, if a heavy handed tomato can like banks gets lucky it can derail his whole career.

• Makington says:

You can’t really plan long term for a guy who is already 33 and just making his start in MMA. If he were 25 then sure ease him in the way they should be doing but with his name they should be giving him bigger fights. It’s a pretty safe bet, but they’re betting a lot here on Bobby. If he loses, which he can, his career is basically over whereas if they gave him a fight against a veteran that isn’t as good, they could have still chalked it up on that. If Bobby Lashley had fought Gary Goodridge instead of Mousasi then that would have been perfect for him since it’s a kinda sorta relevant name that wouldn’t flush Lashley’s career down the toilet if he lost.

It was the same thing for his Guida fight. He was fighting a guy with an incredibly popular last name, although he was much smaller and really nothing worth mentioning skill wise. If Lashley lost, so what, he’ green in MMA and that’s Jason GUIDA. If he won, then he’s a threat to look out for.

I wish they would handle him better, and I do think he could hang with a lot of bigger name HW’s.

• robby says:

i am looking forward to the diaz fight and cyborgs fight the rest really don’t interest me

• Jak says:

Tough call with well named fighters.

If you fight top competition like Lesnar did against Mir in only his second fight, you’ll get vilified as being undeserving of even being allowed to fight a big name.

If you fight weak competition, you get vilified for fighting cans.

When it comes to the HW division in MMA across the board, there really is no pleasing the forum poster, they’ll always bash everything.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

See, I’m the exact opposite.

Don’t care for ANY diaz, could care less about Cyborg, but like Hieron vs Riggs – Manhoef vs Lawler

• Makington says:

I definitely don’t think they should be throwing him with their top HW’s like Werdum, Fedor, or Overeem, but Lashley has a big name, a bigger name than most HW’s, and they should be giving him a bigger fight. No one wants to see him fight a guy they’ve never heard of. I guess I’m being a little too critical of Yohan, but Lashley should be up against a fighter people can respect him for if he beats. He doesn’t have a long future in MMA at 33, and he doesn’t gain much other than experience when fighting this guy, who has the potential to severely undermine his career with a well placed fist.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

You tube has him boxing. Yohan that is, he looks like he can throw but I would say he has no ground game. He is big. This has throw him a can written all over it for me. They could of “hired” Bo Cantrell.

• Jstew3785 says:

I’m glad to see this fight on the main card opposed to Jay Hieron vs Joe Riggs…..

• Jstew3785 says:

NOT!

• WarCry says:

Cue the Tomato Can!!

• Makington says:

Shoot, I didn’t even notice we won’t be seeing that fight on the main card. They are both definitely deserving but it is what it is I guess. To be honest I’m a little skeptical of the fight. Some fights Riggs comes out trying to take your head off and turns it into a real brawl but some fights he’s content to hold you down for the decision win.

• PlagueAngel says:

Banks would have a easier time walking on water then beating Lashey.

• sexy-yama says:

always got a punchers chance slim but there,i kinda hope he catches lashley and beats him,then maybe just maybe he will leave tna and focus on mma,but i cant hate on a guy making money,tna probably pays him like double strikeforce does, his last 2 fight were basically against a can, and a huge can in Sapp

• patsiera68 says:

• ndizzle says:

wished lashley had a tougher oponent ive seen banks fight twice i think lashley got this one.Rumor has it lashley fighting on cbs as well april 19th

Lashley is a hot commodity, they need to do the right thing with him in order for him to have a descent career and for SF to be bale to have a credible star and reep the benefits long term not just a flash in the pan so to speak… SF and Lashley are both doing the right thing with his career and there business interests… I would like to see this guy go on and be a HW contender one day in the distant future but right now it’s time to earn some stripes

• Guthookd says:

I can’t wait to see Lashley fight some top level competition. He looks like such a beast, but I”ve seen so many beasts fall I don’t know what to think of him. I wills say this though….I’m interested.

• Dufresne says:

patsiera68: Anybody else here think Lashley is a total sham? The guy is big, I get it, but will all those muscles have the endurance to make it past one round? Not to mention, all he’s fought so far is a bunch of cans, and he gets another right here.If this fight goes to the second round, I’m predicting a Banks victory. Lashley will undoubtedly gas.

(Quote)

Brock Lesnar has a huge amount of muscles on him and we haven’t seen him gas yet. Both Lesnar and Lashley share a lot of the same history being very talented amateur wrestlers before going on to be “professional” wrestlers, so I think it’s a pretty fair comparison to make.

And besides, even though “professional” wrestling is scripted, a lot of those stunts take a huge amount of athleticism.

I don’t know if Lashley is a serious contender yet, but I don’t think you can judge someone’s future just because they don’t look right to you.

• Guthookd says:

….. but I don’t think you can judge someone’s future just because they don’t look right to you.  (Quote)

LOL. Otherwise Bush wouldn’t have had his chance at the presidency.

• patsiera68 says:

Dufresne:

But I think you can. Lesnar’s physique is rather pronounced, but it’s nothing like Lashley’s. Lashley looks like your typical bodybuilder/roider, while Lesnar looks like a really big guy who hit the weights hard.

Mark my words, Lashley is a sham. What worked with Lesnar won’t necessarily work with all pro wrestling imports.

• mu_shin says:

Checked out Bank’s boxing record, pretty undistinguished, and watched him get knocked out in the first round on You Tube. He’s big, fighting 262-268lbs, but he’s got no chin, and displays little technique, at least with the eight ounce gloves in the boxing ring.

Bobby Lashley may be a novice in MMA, but he’s displayed good punching power, and his amateur wrestling credentials are legit. Don’t think you can really judge his potential until he graduates to better opponents, whch given time I think he will accomplish. Seems like a lot of guys hold the past association against Lashley (and Lesnar) which I think is shortsighted. I’ll agree with others who have stated Lashley is definitely of interest, and I’d like to see him take on some better competition.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think Lashly needs to be brought along a bit slower than Lesner, and while he has very good wrestling credientials remember that was when he was weighing only 205 lbs, so add the years away from the sport and the fact that he has added more than 40 lbs to his frame and I would say he is a above average wrestler, who is also a very good all around athlete. And with SF it seems right now they have two kinds of HW fighter, very good top guys, and not very good fighters. I would like to see Lashly fight twice morw after this and if he wins at least 2 of 3 the graduate him up to a top contender like Werdum or Silva and see how he does.

• Well, So far UFC fight night is shaping up to be a higher level card than the Miami StrikeFoce Card. Nick Diaz is the only real talent on this card. Glad its free and that UFC 107 is playing that night too.