Roger Huerta on his way to Strikeforce?

roger huertaWith an ever growing stable of fighters, Strikeforce may be on the verge of signing popular lightweight Roger Huerta.

In a recent post to Huerta’s Twitter account, El Matador tweeted:

Ok…. Yall keep asking me when my next fight is going to be. Who on here wants to really know??

He followed that up with:

My [email protected] and I met with scott coker and Richard Chou with strikeforce on monday. So I believe this is where…

Huerta recently returned to action in September, after taking over a year off to focus on a movie career. He lost a close split decision to top lightweight contender Gray Maynard as the headline for UFC Fight Night 19.

Most notably known as the first MMA fighter to grace the cover of Sports Illustrated, Huerta has had an up and down relationship since signing with the UFC. Although taking part in some of the UFC most memorable bouts, Huerta was vocal about his contract, or lack thereof, with the premier organization.

Previous to his bout with Maynard, Huerta lost a decision to Kenny Florian at UFC 87. Prior to that, he was riding an 11 fight win-streak.

If Strikeforce does sign the fighter, it would put Huerta right in line for a shot at newly crowned champion Gilbert Melendez.

This guy needs a “W”………

• Guthookd says:

I love to watch Roger fight. He’s dynamic, fast, and has a good amount of power.

But, if a guy with 2 losses in a row gets a title shot for his debut fight with an new organization, I think that speaks to the difference in competition level between the two promotions.

Either way though, Strikeforce is building something good over there. I don’t think they need all the best fighters to put on quality shows. Guys like Roger, while not exactly the top of the heap, bring fans both casual and committed.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Huerta vs. Noons for the “Pretty Boy Championship”. Book it.

• fanoftna33 says:

I agree with guthooked here as Huerta needs a win before a title shot. Put him in with Gurgel, Evangelista, Beerbohlm and we will see a great fight. Maybe even Thompson for a title eliminator right there. Although there are only three or four really good match up’s for Huerta now, with the way SF is building up there roster next year there could be 6-8 more great match ups.

• paddiosf says:

I think its best for Heuert to move on maybe to Strikeforce looking at his strained relationship with Dana and also he can come in go as he pleases fighting in Japan etc etc..

• Jak says:

I like the signing. I also really like the sound of Huerta vs. Noons.

That said, i think he relatively easily loses fights against the Punk, Melendez, Aoki….

• Starforsaken says:

I like the signing as well. As long as there are guys like Florian and Maynard, he’ll hardly move towards being a contender and get a title shot. His not being in UFC anymore won’t make too much of a difference on its roster, in my opinion, while being added to Strikeforce will be HUGE!

Too bad he won’t fight Sanchez, though: that’s a fight that I’d really like to watch.

• king mah mah says:

This is exactly what I was talking about the other day. If Strikeforce is able to keep signing these kinds of fighters then their popularity is going to grow rapidly. Huerta is a solid fighter and a popular one at that. Great signing for Strikeforce if it happens.

• Dufresne says:

This is a wonderful signing for SF. They get a relatively tested, young fighter with a fairly large name. Sure, he’s not that high up on most hardcore’s lists, but since he’s been on the cover of SI, and that’s probably all a lot of people have been exposed to MMA wise, this is a name or at least a face that people will recognize.

SF is also a good fit for Huerta. We’ve seen how lenient they are with letting their fighters pursue other career opportunities so this would allow El Matador to do a few more movies without pissing off the management too much. The fights work well for him as well. I see him coming in and getting a warm up fight, and assuming he wins, going for a shot at the title which he could very well end up taking.

People tend to underrate him since he took such a long break from MMA and his last 2 fights were losses. But let’s remember that one of those losses is against a guy that has fought for the LW title twice and is still considered a top 5 LW in the world, and his other loss was against a guy that is in contention for #1 status. And as good as those two are, neither managed to stop him early.

• patsiera68 says:

He’s fun to watch, but this guy needs to win soon. He’s still very young and if he really figures things out, Strikeforce could have quite the athlete and personality.

• mohawk009 says:

“People tend to underrate him” I don’t believe they underrate him because of the break. He gets rated low because the only 2 fights he has had against top 10 LW’s have been losses. To me he is similiar to Joe Stevenson; he’s not evolving as a mixed martial artist. Florian and Penn come to mind because each timet hey step into the cage they have added something new to their arsenal. He should match up well against Melendez but does need a win before challenging the champ. I think Gilbert will outwork him in a tough 5 round fight.

Recently another news site reported-

“Additionally, sources close to the fighter indicated that a “matching clause” in Huerta’s UFC contract that doesn’t expire until November means the UFC retains the right to match any official offer the lightweight receives from an opposing organization.”

Interesting how this will play out- Does the UFC care to match the offer and retain him on the roster??

• Kuch says:

According to MMAJunkie.com, SF director of communications Mike Afromowitz confirmed that Roger Huerta did meet with the company, but that no offer was made to Huerta. Roger might have jumped the gun on this, but maybe he didn’t. If I were in his shoes I would encourage a bidding war for his services, and claiming to have a proposal from SF is a sure way to get some type of reaction from the UFC. I hope he gets a good deal no matter where he ends up.

• Vogairian says:

Kuch: According to MMAJunkie.com, SF director of communications Mike Afromowitz confirmed that Roger Huerta did meet with the company, but that no offer was made to Huerta.Roger might have jumped the gun on this, but maybe he didn’t.If I were in his shoes I would encourage a bidding war for his services, and claiming to have a proposal from SF is a sure way to get some type of reaction from the UFC.I hope he gets a good deal no matter where he ends up.

A bidding war isn’t going to happen. If and it’s a big if, the UFC actually wants to keep him, they can just wait for SF to make an offer and they can just match it.

• Well. It would be another hand me down from Big Brother UFC. Roger is fun to watch and I wish he would stay in the UFC. If he does go to stikeforce I could see him being the StrikeForce 155 champ, not easily but I think he has enough to be that.

• TerribleT says:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few more UFC contenders,that most likely will never be UFC title holders,move over to SF so they can be cast immediately in the title picture not to mention getting more exposure from fighting on CBS and Showtime.The upside is tremendous and the competition isn’t as stif, at least not right now anyway.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Melendez
    Alverez
    Aoki
    Hansen
    Sakurai
    Ishida
    Kawajiri
    Huerta
    Thomson
    JZ
    Hirota
    Are able to fight each other and that is very interesting. I would have thought Huerta would have committed suicide after losing to 2 top 5ers. Wow what a disgrace losing twice to 2 of the best in the world. It was close vs Maynard and if he won he would probably be fighting for the UFC title next so to say this indicates a difference in the level of competition is stupid. Couture lost twice and then got a title shot in the UFC then went 2-1 and got another, Lesnar was 1-1 in the UFC before his shot, so to say if Huerta gets a title shot it indicates anything more than SF wanting him to have one is pure fantasy and just plain wishful thinking.

• sexy-yama says:

Just curious why is he jumping ship? is he still pissed ufc didnt give him the money he wanted? or is it time to be a big fish in a little pond? his an exciting fighter but i wouldnt go as far as say an elite, good record thou

• PlagueAngel says:

Huerta vs. Noons for the “Pretty Boy Championship”. Book it.

Where do you guys come up with this funny stuff? It makes me think about my buddy Tito Ortiz needing a win after 3.5 years of accuses, injuries, and setbacks. I have another fight for the co-main event of the Pretty Boy Championship.

Ortiz vs Liddell for the “Livin in the past Championship”. My bet is that Tito will have an injury like the last one at UFC 106.

Maybe another fractured disk or cracked skull in section C4 of the segment….what was that Tito(Ben Stiller voice)?