Lightweight champion Penn expects next title defense at UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi

UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn says he expects to return at UFC 112 according to a new video released by the fighter on his official website.  In the video Penn talks about  the reasons he is not on the March 27 card an announces April 10 as the tentative date of his return.

Penn last competed at UFC 107 in December and stopped the number one contender Diego Sanchez in the fifth-round capping off a dominating performance.

Find more videos like this on BJPENN.COM

• thunder okami says:

If Diaz submits Maynard again….who’s it gonna be against?

Wished I lived in Hawaii…. it’s like 10 degrees here in NYC lately… GO PENN!

• PsYc0tIkDrEaM says:

who’s he going to fight though the LW division is nearly damn decimated…………… Unless they’re actually thinking of Making Fireball kid fight for the title for his debut. But i doubt that’ll happen and If it did it won’t end so well for him again.

• Anoiselikethunder says:

Frankie Edgar looks like he’s going to get the next shot, could be Maynard though too.

• Dufresne says:

I think Maynard should get the shot if he gets by Diaz. If not I guess Edgar, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Gomi gets a shot if he beats Florian.

No idea what happens if Maynard and Gomi lose, which is entirely possible.

• gy614x says:

Lol heres an idea, ok Penn enters the octagon followed by Buffer who announces him yada yada yada, then they call out a ticket number…..the person with that number then enters the octagon and fights penn…….

seems thats whats best for the LHW division right now lol

but no really, Im excited for all of Penns fights (cause my instructor dislikes him and i get to bust his balls when penn wins haha)

• PlagueAngel says:

It looks like Penn will fight one or two more fights and then move up to welterweight. There will be some good match ups for him at 170. His competition at 155 cannot outstrike or muscle him to the ground, but there are a few guys at 170 that would put up a good fight (Alves, Fitch).

• Guthookd says:

I hope it’s Maynard. I think he’ll take Diaz this time. Whether or not he is ready for BJ is anyone’s guess, but I look forward to finding out.

• sean9386 says:

i think maynard has the best chance of at least making it a fight against bj…the only fighters that can seem to slow penn down are world class wrestlers which maynard is, and the fact that he may have the most crisp boxing in the lightweight division besides bj and maybe sherk…will end up like the rest of them though thats the only sure thing

• PlagueAngel says:

How do I get thumbs down for my statement? I’m not even a Penn fan and know that his boxing is light years ahead of Sherk and Maynard. Penn has smashed the competition and lets face it, Maynard is as good as the competition. This is the reason why Penn has stated he is moving back up to 170 in one or two fights. He has no challenge at all at 155. The majority of fight fans would like him to face competition and its obvious its at 170.

• king mah mah says:

Thumbs up PlagueAngel! Agree 100%!

I won’t tell you to snap out of it this time I swear! LOL

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I agree I think he will put on weight and strength and leave LW behind. He wants a rematch with GSP. Despite what many want to beleive, GSPs corner man was caught greasing him on camera and so was the athletic commison telling his corner not to do it whilst trying to wipe him down. White said they 100% greased him, BJs camp said they had asked the athletic commision to look out for it after he had felt slippery in their first encounter, a new rule was introduced by the NSAC to do with the illegal use of lubricant in the aftermath of greasgate. BJ, Hughes, Mayhem and Sherk (possibly Serra too) all came forward with talk of him being “slick”, “oil on him”, “slippery” or said he just plain “greased” when he fought them. He has also has been told (according to his camp) that GSP has dabled in steroids in the past, wheather this is true or not it certainly signals a burning desire to set the record straight. I think it is his one and only desire to fight and beat GSP at WW now.
    I think LW will be fine without him (Gomi, Sherk, Maynard, Guida, Griffin, Miller, Edgar, Stevenson, Sanchez etc) and WW needs a boost in terms of “grudge match” and new talent. Beides it will be a huge event in a year or 2 to go back down and challenge the new LW king. It will be a win, win for the UFC and Penn.

• PlagueAngel says:

Well said MMA-Logic. I think match ups with Penn and other welterweights will be entertaining as well for fans. I forgot that those other fighters mentioned the greasiness of GSP. I would like to see evidence and testimony about the steroids though to believe the accusations. Also I heard today that GSP has claimed he recently put on 7-8 IBS of pure muscle, so it will be interesting if he will even be around by the time Penn wants to fight him.

• hindsightufuk says:

i hope the ufc make the Abu Dhabi show an all grapplers afair, its only right

• Nick Havok says:

There isn’t really anyone in the UFC who can even give BJ Penn a competitive fight at 155…therefore it’s hard to get excited for his next fight.

It’s like who is he gonna smash this time?

Me personally, after seeing Aoki snap Hirota’s arm off…Shinya is the only guy at lightweight who I even think can put up a fight against Penn.

Yeah, if the fight stays on the feet then Aoki is toast…but what if the fight goes to the ground?

I know people will disagree…but I think Aoki’s submissions trump BJ’s. It would be crazy to see those two grappling against each other though. I would LOVE to see what would happen!

• JabCrossHook says:

I still think Aoki is overrated, and a lot of lightweights would give him trouble. I even see Mike Brown and Jose Aldo finishing Aoki with superior wrestling and striking. Plus I really doubt Aoki has the strength to submit BJ Penn. And how is he going to take him down if Diego Sanchez couldn’t do it? BJ Penn is going to dictate the pace and hes going to want to box, and that’s a really big problem for Aoki.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Again with the negatives? is it like “I don’t want to hear the truth so I ‘m gonna negative tick this guy”. What I said is true about GSP. 100% facts. BJ has stated an interest in facing GSP again ,fact. Get over it. If you don’t want to face facts, great but don’t expect them to change. When the greasegate thing first came out people were trying to say it wouldn’t have made a difference, very very few deluded people tried to say it didn’t happen and those that said the most stupid thing that it wouldn’t of made a difference, like just because he is good he can be completely un-sporting with impunity. Besides it does make a difference, ask any BJJ or wrestler, even a sweaty fighter is harder to control and submit let alone a greased one. Now it blows my mind that people actually …I don’t know! but it seems like people have convinced themselves that it never happened, like his camp was not caught doing it (on camera by the NSAC!!!) and Penns camp didn’t take him to court to get the result overturned as a result. WTF It 100% happened in that fight and fighters had complained about it in others. 100% facts. Not debatable. The only evidence against this is…none! just GSP and his camp (the accused) saying it was a breathing technique. They greased him up! and got caught!. Now they have introduced new laws, so that if it was to happen now, Penn would more than likely get the result overturned because it would be classed as CHEATING!!!!!!.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

P.S. Look into it if you disagree. It is all available on the net including interviews with Sherk and Hughes saying how he felt slick and that they know the difference between sweat and something else along with their reasons for not coming forward.