Jay Hieron vs. Joe Riggs announced for “Strikeforce: Miami”

joe riggsIt appears as though a card already packed with talent is getting a bit deeper, as Jay Hieron has announced he will be looking to extend his six-fight win streak against notable welterweight Joe “Diesel” Riggs at the Strikeforce event on January 30th in Miami.

The 18-4 Long Islander broke the news to fans earlier today via his Twitter page. Riggs has also racked up a number of consecutive wins as of late, including two this past December, and was last seen in Strikeforce defeating Phil Baroni by unanimous decision last June.

The bout rounds out an already-stacked card set to feature twin title-fights between welterweights Nick Diaz and Marius Zaromskis, as well as women’s champ Cris “Cyborg” Santos and Marloes Coenen, a sure-to-be entertaining brawl between Melvin Manhoef and Robbie Lawler, and the promotional debuts of both Bobby Lashley and Herschel Walker.

• WarCry says:

This card is coming together well. No superstars but that will come with time. Name recognition and marketable personalities as well as talent. This is mid level talent. Fedor and Hendo are stars. Mousasi would get ground up in the UFC light heavyweight division.

That being said this is the first time I can remember looking forward to a Strikeforce card over the next Ufc Ppv. Because honestly the Coleman vs Couture matchup is something I don’t know i want to see on free tv let alone PPV. This a golden opportunity for Strikeforce to build momentum while the Ufc recovers from all the injuries.

• fanoftna33 says:

I love the attitude of Heiron here as he signed eith SF with the promis of a title fight then was screwed out of it, and now he gets a fight with a pretty decent fighter in Riggs all the while saying how he just wants to fight and the title shot will come in time. Great attitude from this guy who if anybody deserves to bitch a little he does this is the type of attitude that makes guys great fighters.

• greatness says:

i love herion and i can’t wait for him to get his shot at the title. i think that once he beats riggs there will be a demand for him to fight for the title and that will build some interest and drama for his title fight especially if it’s against nick

• Guthookd says:

That should be a good match up. I look forward to it.

WarCry: I agree with you about the Coutour/Colemen fight.

• Dufresne says:

Am I the only one that wishes that Riggs would pack on some more muscle and fight at MW? He walks around heavier than a lot of MW’s do anyways, and that cut has led him to being sluggish in several of his fights. Top it off with the fact that he’s just not as fast as today’s WW and I really think he would be better suited up a weight class.
    Wow, probably the only time I’ve thought someone would do better at a heavier class.

Now that that is out of my system, I think this could be a fun fight, but I’m heavily favoring Hieron here. This is gonna be a fun card, and I agree with the sentiment that this SF is looking better than the next UFC. Hopefully this will prompt the UFC to up their game even more.

• edub says:

Dufresne: Top it off with the fact that he’s just not as fast as today’s WW and I really think he would be better suited up a weight class.

I agree. Nick Diaz is my other wish for staying at MW.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

“Mousasi would get ground up in the UFC light heavyweight division”

Yeah no losses in the last 4-5 years and wins over former Top 10 and UFC LHWs Sokadjou and Babalu and wins over top 10 MWs Kang, Jacre as well as top MW talent Manoef , Lombard and former top 10 HW and K1 champion Hunt and a becoming a Pride GP champ. I can see where you get that idea from…not.

• hindsightufuk says:

I really want Moussasi in the ufc just so he can shut peoples mouths

Strike Force Miami is a good card but I don’t think it’s as good as the next UFC card… just IMO.

How can it be with TBA still next to 2 or three fights?
    You got Hershel Walker and Bobby Lashley on a mainstream card for a big promo for the first time and one is fighting for the first time.

and for christ sakes they got quadros interviewing…

• This is a good card but I wouldn’t pay 54.99 for it like I would the UFC 109. UFC 109 is stacked with alot of talent and I still think that Nate Diaz is the only real talent. Jay Hieron never got a chance in the UFC but then again the UFC didn’t want him after he lost to GSP, Jay is still a good talent but not on the level of Nate in my opinion

The card is good and I think Bobby Lashley is a up an comer but he isn’t Brock Lesner and he did go the distance with Jason Guida who couldn’t make on the ultimate fighter. .. thats sad.

I’m glad its free :)