UFC counters “Strikeforce: Miami” with replay of UFC 107

UFC 107In a move that should surprise few at this point, the UFC is set to counter-program “Strikeforce: Miami” with a replay of UFC 107 on Spike TV.

Both programs are set for January 30, with the Strikeforce card airing live on Showtime.

The counter-attack from the UFC is nothing new from the promotion, who have ran such programs in sync with rival promotion’s events in the past, including Affliction and Strikeforce.

“Strikeforce: Miami” is set to take place from the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Florida, with both programs scheduled to launch at 10 pm ET.

“Strikeforce: Miami” will feature announced bouts between Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos and Marloes Coenen for the Strikeforce women’s 145 pound title, along with a welterweight battle pitting Nick Diaz up against king of the big kabosh, Marius Zaromskis, for the promotion’s vacant welterweight crown.

FiveOuncesofPain.com was also able to confirm that a bout between Robbie Lawler and Melvin Manhoef is also expected for the card. Herschel Walker and Bobby Lashley are also expected to make their promotional debuts at the event, yet there opponents are still listed as TBA at this point.

UFC 107 was headlined by B.J. Penn‘s five round destruction of Diego Sanchez in a lightwqeight title defense.

• onebaldegg says:

Dana can’t stop trying to run everybody out of business! What is his point? He can’t possibly believe that would be better for the us fans? At least that what he is always saying, “for the fans, blah, blah,”. I am getting tired of his banter all time. He is so involved in everything, opinion on everything, F this organization, ban this company. He doesn’t give a crap about us fans. He just is a power hungry mini marsh mellow man. He is even talking about going after illegal internet feeds. Good luck Banana White! All you are gonna do is spend a lot of money suing people that don’t have money and wouldn’t be able to pay a judgement. Sue your fans, sounds highly intelligent! He should be smart enough to look to take a nod from the music and movie business. They tried it. They sued people. They spent millions prosecuting people to make a point. And what did it get them. Judgements against people who couldn’t pay. Worked so well, the abandoned the practice earlier this year. He has done a lot for the business, but i fear there may come a point where the things he does for the business will become a negative.

I will be watching the SF card. Most fans have seen the 107 card or at least know the results.

How come we never hear Scott Coker say anything bad about anybody? It’s called MATURITY!

• Cogito Ergo Sum says:

Thats cool, I don’t have Showtime. No big deal that Dana is playing UFC107, if you’ve seen it then watch Strikeforce. If you haven’t then your getting a pretty good deal cause that card wasn’t more than a month out and your getting it for free when people paid 60 bucks for it.

• Dufresne says:

His point is he doesn’t care what’s best for the fans, he’s a business man. He cares what’s best for Zuffa’s bottom line. He can sugar coat it any way he likes, but just like when a used car salesman says “it’s just like new” you should read between the lines.

There’s no reason to rant and rave about him being a terrible person, but the fact remains that he is still the number one promoter of the number one MMA organization in the world, he’s doing a lot of things very right.

Oh and Scott Coker doesn’t talk trash because he’s learned from history. Look at every other MMA promoter that has claimed that they were going to be the ones to take down the UFC and where they are today. He’s doing the smart thing, stay quiet and build your talent pool.

• PsYc0tIkDrEaM says:

with all due respect I only liked 2 fights on the maincard. And just a few of the wins on the prelims were just fine too. But Really now a replay of UFC 107 won’t compete with Strikeforce’s card.

• xtreme_machine says:

not good for business Dana

People that paid for 107 are going to be pissed

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Why did they not counter with replays of 108?.

• jturnerlimited says:

when are you guys going to release that sweet article on hot new prospects???? i know u guys are hiding it somewhere…. (ryan machan in red deer alberta 8-0 in the mfc)!!!!! cover some more canadian mma!!!

• jturnerlimited says:

and really its good for all mma fans………………… your hardcore and u want to pay 60 bucks to see it live giver!!!!!! your not hardcore and can read the net and not willing to pay wait and catch there free replay 3 weeks down the road….. the more they fued over whos best the promotion the better fights , more cards , more free replays , more media coverage…. its great for everyone!!!

• Exactly!!!

People who paid for 107 will be pissed!!!

Most fans saw 107 anyways, why would we see it again if we could watch Strikeforce LIVE for free via Showtime??

Sorry UFC, but Live events will always beat out REPLAYED events.

Most likely, people will TIVO UFC 107 while watch Strikeforce LIVE.

• Niv says:

Zuffa is playing with fire here and they are being very short-sighted about it.

• egad81 says:

This is the main reason why I like strikeforce. NO PPV!
    The UFC is getting greedy!

When was the last time you had a PPV NFL Game or a PPV Nascar Race?

Dana if you want to compare your company to the BIG SPORTS you need to start acting like them.
    Zuffa makes millions and there are guys making $10k a fight? CRAZY

• king mah mah says:

Yeah if you haven’t seen 107 yet, then you atleast know the results. So why not watch Strikeforce LIVE! Yeah baby, I know I’ll be tuning in.

• king mah mah says:

All the points have mainly been said already, but I’ll say one again.

Why would I continue to pay for UFC when they are gonna air the event for free 3 weeks later?! Really pisses me off!

• king mah mah says:

Oh my bad I was thinking they were showing 108.

• king mah mah says:

Anyone that is a fan that has showtime will be watching Strikeforce instead of a two month old UFC. Still pisses me off they are showing that old of event for free! It still makes me not want to order anymore UFC ppv. Although I know I still will! LOL

• buzzcramp says:

I think Dana does care about the fans and does want them to see good fights… he just wants the UFC to put them all on. Dana and the UFC have conducted themselves as ultimate control freaks since the beginning.. so this latest behavior shouldn’t really surprise anyone. They don’t want the fans to have to choose which ppvs to get for the month… most fans aren’t going to go for more than one a month at best, and Dana and co. are going to do everything in their power to make it a UFC ppv. It’s a pretty cutthroat business anyway,and I don’t think they would be where is now without trying to squash the competition. Dana can love the sport and the fans and still want the UFC to dominate.

• Niv: Zuffa is playing with fire here and they are being very short-sighted about it.SF is quickly putting together a very respectable stable of fighters, if this trend continues the UFC will be doing a WTF?, when SF counters a big UFC ppv date with a live network tv card.The only good thing that will come out of this, is that maybe one day we’ll see the UFC and SF go head to head in co-promoted tournaments, then it will definitely be for the fans.

I have been preaching Unified Belts for a long time but definitely think that Strikeforce as a long way to go b4 they can Truly rival the UFC.

I saw UFC 107 and would honestly rather watch that again over strikeforce. Nick Diaz is the only real talent on that card and Marloes Coenen because she is super sexy …rarrr you sweet Marloes Coenen you.. rarrrr. She isn’t Gina but she is one hot womem fighter..rarrr 😀

If I hadn’t seen UFC 107 but still knew about it I would DVR Strikeforce and watch UFC 107.

Every other org out there is trying to be the UFC so why not try and run everyone else out or at least keep them at bay. If you think Dana is a Asshole for wanting to stay on top them open up your own business like I did, a Yard Care Biz and try saying to yourself..I will let this guy have this job because he needs to eat ..nope..you will say to that guy..you can work for me buddy. . I will pay for your lunches. The UFC has the most talent out there and I will Gladly watch UFC over StrikeForce almost any day..I just learn more when I watch the UFC guys. The commentary is better too.

So with all that said this FightFan will be watching both at the same time.

• WarCry says:

I like Strikeforce simply for competitive balance. Strikeforce is coming along nicely, taking steps that will make it a threat for years to come. They are building a roster with mid level talent. The defection of Dan Henderson may well be a watershed moment in these two companies history. The question is will the UFC hold on to its monopoly on talent. Strikeforce won’t go head to head with the Ufc for at least another 18 months. Its hard to stay on the mountaintop. Can Strikeforce pillage some Ufc mid level talent and a star or two? That’s the question

• thunder okami says:

In my opinion….Dana should counter Strikeforce cards with live Fight Night cards on Spike. That way, people like me with DVR’s/Tivo can just record both ^_^

• egad81: This is the main reason why I like strikeforce. NO PPV!
    The UFC is getting greedy!

When was the last time you had a PPV NFL Game or a PPV Nascar Race?

Zuffa makes millions and there are guys making $10k a fight? CRAZY

Gegard mousasi made 2000$ in his fight against Bobalu and Daisuke Nakamura made 200$ in the Evolution card..thats right..Two Hundred dollars. Mike Cook: $2,500 in the Carono vs Cyborg.

The UFC makes more money but also has a far larger payroll and puts money into the All Access shows along with the Fight Previews on Spike and puts far more money into promoting fighters.

In my opinion the UFC Fight Nights are often more technical to watch than most of the Strikeforce cards and those UFC Fight Fights are free to watch on Spike and more are getting aired on Spike and Versus this year and lets not forget the free WEC bouts that we get to watch witch Zuffa owns as well. How about that Donald Cerrone vs Ratclif fight whoo what fight. Damn the knees though..bad Cerrone 😀

So with all that is free from Zuffa on Spike and Versus how can anyone complain about the PPV. We should be complaining about boxing.. I mean. watching two guys go 12 rounds and making 50million dollars on PPV?? even it they don’t go 12 rounds. ..10,20,30 or the 52 million dollars that the Golden Goy made when he faught Mayweather in a 12 round fight sickens me.

Maybe some of you MMA fans are getting greedy or maybe you and your friends need to put the crack pipe down and go in on a PPV instead, LMAO. Not saying you smoke crack..just sayen 😀

All I am saying is ..alot of those really respectable Strikeforce cards are made up of the fighters that couldn’t make it in the UFC. That why they always say “and UFC veteran …” when they introduce the fighters that come from the UFC. SrikeForce is on the come up and I love it. I hope they keep signing more talent like Gegard and Fedor but they have a long way to go B4 they can Dance the the Gorilla/

• ndizzle says:

FightFan313: Gegard mousasi made 2000$ in his fight against Bobalu and Daisuke Nakamura made 200$ in the Evolution card..thats right..Two Hundred dollars.

that what happens with foreign fighters it a tax thing,they get compensation probaly through m-1 since gegard and nakamura are from their

• justjohn says:

Dana’s worked hard to get the UFC where it is, but he’s got to learn that a strong competitor is inevitable and even good for the business. His efforts to keep everyone else out will ultimately fail and is leading to bad decisions like counter programming. Coker has the right idea. Keep building quietly and smartly and don’t engage Dana in a pissing contest.

It’s a win win no matter how you look at it! MMA for all!

• Kuch says:

Fans are getting more free MMA. Why complain about that?

• Niv says:

Fight fan I have to respectfully disagree that SF is a long way away from competing with the UFC, I believe they are rapidly closing in, and the CBS deal will help close that gap sooner than we think.

War Cry, I have to disagree with you as well when you say that SF is just picking up mid-level talent until Dan Henderson came along. You may want to take a closer look at their roster it’s becoming more impressive by the day. I sense that the only reason you mention Hendo is that he was a true threat to anyone in his weight class in the UFC, how about Fedor and Mousassi? There isn’t a bigger name in mma than Fedor, Mousassi has the talent to beat anyone and the HW division is very formidable to say the least. There’s all sorts of new signings and Aoki in the LW division is a beast just to name a few fighters.

I also want to say that I remember quite clearly when Fedor signed with SF, I said my gut tells me there’s a network deal coming and it did. So in short I’ll stick to my guns and say that one day the UFC is going to get a ppv card countered with a huge network card and that will really make things interesting.

• Dufresne says:

Niv: So in short I’ll stick to my guns and say that one day the UFC is going to get a ppv card countered with a huge network card and that will really make things interesting.

The only problem I see with this is that it is significantly harder to free up network TV space on a short notice than it is to find an open PPV slot. On the other hand, I don’t doubt that it will happen eventually since the vast majority of UFC’s are on Saturday night which is not considered “prime time.”

Kinda off topic, but does anyone know when the next SF event that will be broadcast on CBS is?