Mike Swick vs. Paulo Thiago set in stone for UFC 109

ufc 109A previously rumored welterweight showdown between Mike Swick and Paulo Thiago has been made official for “UFC 109: Relentless” through the promotion today at UFC.com.

UFC 109 is all set to take place on February 6 from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, with the main card airing live on Pay-Per-View.

Swick will be the third American Kickboxing Academy trained welterweight Thiago has faced in the UFC since his arrival in the promotion in early 2009. The Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt burst onto the scene in February of last year when he knocked Josh Koscheck sideways for the TKO victory, and has since gone on to drop a unanimous decision to Jon Fitch before most recently notching a win over Jacob Volkmann at UFC 106

Swick was recently on a four fight win streak in the UFC with wins over the likes of Marcus Davis and Ben Saunders before he wound up on the losing end of a unanimous decision at the hands of Dan Hardy during UFC 105.

A full list of the bouts expected for UFC 109 are listed below:

Randy Couture vs. Mark Coleman

Nate Marquardt vs. Chael Sonnen

Mike Swick vs. Paulo Thiago

Demian Maia vs. Dan Miller

Matt Serra vs. Frank Trigg

Mac Danzig vs. Justin Buchholz

Rolles Gracie vs. Mostapha Al Turk

Phil Davis vs. Brian Stann

Chris Tuchscherer vs. Tim Hague

Phillipe Nover vs. Rob Emerson

Meelvin Guillard vs. Ronny Torres

• BillyWarhol says:

Swick did not look Healthy against Hardy – too Thin + Pasty (if thass even possible against a Brit!! 😉

• king mah mah says:

With all the changes to the fight cards recently, I don’t think we should be using the term “set in stone”! LOL

• Makington says:

Wow, I just noticed this but this is the absolute ‘loser leaves UFC card’

If Paulo Thiago loses he is 2-2 in a tough spot, but probably not cut. Dan Miller is coming off a loss along with Trigg, and Serra(x2). Mac Danzig is coming off a whopping 3 fight skid, with his opponent Justin coming off 2 losses, as well as Al Turk. Stann is coming off wins but stopped being the exciting fighter he was a while ago, and those 2 losses are still recent. Tuscherer and Hague are both do or die. Same thing with Nover and Emerson. Guillard finally is coming off of his loss to Diaz, although he would probably still be kept if he losses. We might even see Couture or Coleman retire for good this time, but I doubt that too.

This card will decide a lot of futures…

• PlagueAngel says:

I got my bet today for Marquardt! There is no way Sonnen pulls off a win with a younger, stronger, faster MW like Marquardt. This is a okay card. The main event is going to be a real snoozer…

• hindsightufuk says:

yeah i was thinking there are lot of ufc career ending fights on this card, could make it exciting or extremely dull if everyone plays it safe

• Cliff says:

I think that card should be a free on Spike card and not a PPV one. At least not a full price one anyway.

• I second that Cliff…not that Randy and Coleman aren’t both legends, HOF inductees and so on….but there isn’t much of an interest for me in this fight. I think Randy will Maul The Hammer, he’s too fast and way too much better on his feet. Plus IF Coleman can take the Natural down I dont see him getting anywhere.

Swick vs. Thiago looks sharp, and I can see this one being a pick em fight.

Miller is getting submitted, case closed

Not that I dont think Sonnen isnt a phenomenal fighter, but I think Nate will have his filthy way with him from pillar to post. If Chael runs at him like he ran at Okami it will be a super short night for Sonnen.

and finally, Im very interested to see what Tuscherer will do without being kicked in the twig and giggle berries. He held up to that pummeling Big Gabe gave him better than most healthy fighters would. The head kick was just as scary as that nutshot from hell that still gives me nightmares.

I don’t think this card is all that bad as a whole… I like the match ups I see here- they don’t seem to one sided… think we are in for a good night of fights. I do agree if it was on Spike TV it would be more acceptable by the fans, cause as much as I think the card is decent I won’t be buying it.

• fanoftna33 says:

I am really looking forward to Maia vs Miller as Miller has very solid all around skills and will probably make it a much better fight than Sonnen(who as we all know beat Miller).
    Swick vs Thiago should also be pretty exciting and fast paced. I would lean towards Thiago here as Swick looked pretty bad in his last fight and with a short layoff I dont think is good for a guy known for getting hurt a lot.
    Overall a very decent card.