Say It Aint So: Ken Shamrock vs. Seth Petruzelli set for Mexico in March

seth-petruzelliIn a fight that would have a hard time seeing the light of day in the sketchiest of Indian Reservations stateside, it now appears as though Ken Shamrock will be making his return to the sport against none other than the original Kimbo-slayer number one, Seth Petruzelli.

The two are expected to face off during an International Unlimited Fighting event scheduled for Cancun, Mexico and expected to take place on March 3 according to Petruzelli himself via his Twitter account.

ok my next big fight, me vs. ken shamrock live on PPV from cancun mexico for the WFO belt! International Unlimited Fighting is the fight org

this will be a 5 rounder for the belt! ALL satellite and most ALL cable companys will get this fight live on PPV.

The forty-five year old Shamrock is currently riding out a one year suspension from the sport due to testing positive for steroids following a February 2008 armbar victory over the late Ross Clifton, but will technically be permitted to fight anywhere by the time he faces Petruzelli in March.

Prior to his most recent victory over Clifton at “WarGods: Valentine’s Eve Massacre”, Shamrock was on the rebound from consecutive defeats at the hands of Robert “Buzz” Berry, Tito Ortiz (twice), Kazushi Sakuraba and Rich Franklin.

Petruzelli virtually disappeared off the face of the earth in many ways following the biggest victory of his career in one of the most watched fights in the history of the sport as he knocked Kimbo Slice senseless in just fourteen seconds during “EliteXC: Heat” back in October of 2008. Since then Seth has fought professionally just a single time, TKO’ing Chris Baten during “Art of Fighting: Damage” in August of 2009.

• Guthookd says:

Hmmm. For a belt? I hope it’s a lacey thing that hold panyhose up.

J/K. Seth did a good job at Art of Fighting. He will win. I’m going back to the wish list thread and putting in my final wish….that Ken will retire and just run his gyms. Sorry if that sounds like bashing, but the guy should really think about it.

• king mah mah says:

Hope Ken wins then fights Kimbo in UFC! LOL

• Guthookd says:

KMM: That would be a short night for Kimbo I bet. We might finally get to see one of those “nasty leg locks” that Rogan is always talking about (yes, I saw the knee bar on Bas in Pancrase)

• Makington says:

Cause we all know International Unlimited Fighting is THE premier division.

This fight has plummeted to my ‘least looking forward to’ fight, and I have doubt that Mr. Shamrock will continue is downward spiral into oblivion. And he’ll probably STILL keep fighting.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think Seth is a very underrated fighter, the guy just got very famous very fast for the Kimbo ko but he is a very solid overall fighter with very good stand up. Ken will always be part of MMA history and I feel that if he wants to fight and passes a physcial then let him fight.

• TerribleT says:

Ken’s actually going to fight somebody that’s not living at the local Rescue Mission this time huh?Seth by 1st rd KO or TKO and probably in the 1st minute.

• Nick Havok says:

I’m thinking to myself, ‘Is this the best deal Seth Petruzzelli could possibly get after amazingly knocking Kimbo Slice out on national TV?’

wow…

• Lord Faust says:

The way Seth handled the whole Kimbo / EliteXC situation has made him untouchable. Whether he meant it or not, he essentially said he’s a fighter who can be bribed; that means clean orgs don’t want to touch him due to potential guilt by association, and dirty orgs probably don’t want anything to do with him since he can’t keep quiet.

This fight is just a depressing proposition. Ken understands the promotional side the fight game so well, it’s amazing he’s so bad at marketing himself. He’s literally trading away what little remains of his legacy for meager pay days with small-fish unknown organizations.

I feel bad for the guy; he’s obviously a victim of his own pride. That said, it’s hard to condone this sort of thing; I honestly think Ken could treat his legacy — and his health — a lot better.

• PlagueAngel says:

This fight means nothing to both fighters. The winner actually accomplishes nothing.

• hindsightufuk says:

my first and only thought was fuck off

I agree this does nothing for either fighter but what else are these guys doing? Let them get there pay day and enjoy the montezumas revenge- they gotta eat even if it’s refried beans…

• baldguy80 says:

This match-up just highlights, in my opinion, what’s still wrong with MMA. It’s still growing, and with its growth comes these “fringe” efforts. This fight is useless for anyone and everyone as PlagueAngel already said. It’s a freak-show that doesn’t do anything positive for the sport. It’s like using a “World Series champs vs the Little League champs” game to promote baseball. Absurd..

• Dufresne says:

I love Ken Shamrock, and I will always respect him for what he did for the sport both in and out of the ring.

Having said that, it is time for him to retire. He is doing nothing for his legacy, wallet, or more importantly for his health by fighting in these small promotions. I understand that he has an enormous drive to compete, but at some point he’s going to have to realize that MMA takes a huge tole on your body and he’ll have to think if competing now with nothing to prove is worth the condition it will leave his body in further down the road.

Well I guess if there’s ever a bio pic about Ken it will kinda end up like The Wrestler part 2 but hopefully it ends a lil better…

• JAI says:

Ken’s ruining his legacy, man! Why can’t he see that he just doesn’t have it anymore. He’s loosing to guys that wouldn’t have even deserved to be in the same ring/ cage as him back when he was in his prime. In addition to that, he’s lost his relevancy in MMA. He really doesn’t matter anymore……….Ken, JUST RETIRE ALREADY BRO!!!

• ctownhood says:

This is a PPV huh? Hope it’s $.99 or less

• Dufresne says:

ctownhood: This is a PPV huh? Hope it’s$.99 or less

I’d probably save the dollar anyways.

• 27jride says:

Ken should just stop it before he damages his reputation any further.

The problem with all the older fighters from that era is that they barely evloved passed there disipline and never really kept up withthe trend the sport was heading in… this is why even young brawlers come into the game and after 2 or 3 fights realize they can’t just throw haymakers, that they need to actually learn some other defense and offense to be competitive… I know Ken is multi displined but I think theres other ways he didn’t evolve that hurt his game let alone his age and injuries.

Ex: His dumb ass not warming up properly and rolling to hard got him out of the fight with Kimbo that probably could have ended his career on a good note and gave today’s fans something positive to remember him by ( he would have beat Kimbo on the ground with out a doubt)…. but no he splits his head open and bows out. Imagine what could have been that night- Kimbo was exposed either way but Ken doing it would have made things a bit different for both of them.

• 3OAM says:

Seth Petruzelli fought Kimbo when Kimbo was still a novelty fighter…now he’s fighting Ken Shamrock (provided he passes his drug tests and doesn’t injure himself) who is also basically a novelty now.

Seth Petruzelli fights irrelevant big names. That’s all anyone is gonna know him for if he keeps taking these joke fights.

• fetussandwich says:

What reputation? Heel hooks?

27jride: Ken should just stop it before he damages his reputation any further.

• painsrus says:

Really ? I thought They had been signed in Miami by G Force Productions. I guess they lied. How ruude.