Dustin Hazelett Tops List of UFC 108 Casualties

The Nevada State Athletic Commission released its list of medical suspensions resulting from action at UFC 108 and it appears as though seven athletes will be taking a temporary vacation from full contact training due to damage sustained at the event, two of whom are listed as requiring clearance from a doctor before resuming their regular schedules.

According to an email sent to Five Ounces of Pain by the NSAC, Dustin Hazelett will be sidelined from competition until at least March 4th, 2010 with the date extended an additional four months unless examined by a health care professional to look at a “right orbital blowout” (broken orbital bone) and “nasal fractures”. Hazelett was dropped to the canvas with a devastating left hook a little over two minutes into his clash with British knockout specialist Paul Daley who then pounced on the jiujitsu specialist and pounded him out for the win.

Though Mark Munoz may have faired better than “McLovin” in his respective bout at UFC 108, the former All-American wrestler joins Hazelett as the only other fighter from last weekend’s event needing a physician’s clearance if expecting to step back into the Octagon before July of this year. “The Philippine Wrecking Machine” apparently showed some sign of injury to his right forearm after his fight and has been asked to see an orthopedist before competing again.

The complete list of suspensions is as follows:

Mike Pyle – Suspended until 2/2/10 (no contact until 1/23/10)

Ryan Jensen – Suspended until 1/23/10 (no contact until 1/16/10)

Mark Munoz – Must have right hand, wrist, and elbow x-rayed and cleared by orthopedist or no contest until 7/2/10

Jacob Volkmann – Suspended until 2/2/10 (no contact until 1/23/10)

Gilbert Yvel – Suspended until 2/2/10 (no contact until 1/23/10)

Sam Stout – Suspended until 2/2/10 (no contact until 1/23/10 – forehead laceration)

Dustin Hazelett – Must have right orbital blowout and nasal fractures cleared by oral, maximal, facial surgeon, or ophthalmologist or no contest until 7/2/10, minimum suspension until 3/4/10 (no contact until 2/2/10)

• Guthookd says:

I hope Dustin heals up quick. I’m not surprised he was damaged after those hammers.

• elkymbo says:

• PlagueAngel says:

@elkymbo
    Unlike Silva, Rashad had a game plan. Guys that throw leather and are ultra aggressive don’t win championships anymore. Maybe Silva should have trained a bit on stopping take downs? Maybe some strategy for the Brazilian once in awhile might do the trick?

On a side note, I think many of us knew Hazeletts “Improved striking scheme” was completely bs. It was interesting to see him try no take downs to submit Daley. It was also very interesting to see him try to strike Daley.

• Connor Cobain says:

@PlagueAngel

Ya but what he was talking about was the fact that Rashad who I normally like looked absolutly dreadfull. His once good wrestling game has turned to a sad shaddow of its former self. Rashad landed takedowns at will but was unable to make any thing of it or even keep Silva down. Rashad has some holes in his game and it will be hard for him to make his way back up the 205 pound ladder with everyone now knowing he no longer has a decient ground game.

• danw84 says:

elkymbo: No Rashad I see. Is that because he spent the majority of the fight leaning on Silva and the last round running away?

No Silva I see. Is that because he spent the majority of the fight doing so little he didn’t even get hurt while still losing?

• Sans_Peur says:

May I just say how excited I am that the NSAC is now requiring that fighters see specialists pertaining to their specific injuries? Remember one day not so long ago when you just had to be “cleared by a doctor,” but it didn’t matter what kind? There were guys with concussions who could be cleared by an OBGYN. I’m really happy to see this important step in fighter safety – and I may have just not picked up on it previously, but however you slice it, its good!

right orbital blowout …. that sounds fantastic.

• redwire says:

Rece Rock – I was thinking the same thing. Is ‘blowout’ a medical term now? Is this Kimbo’s new job or something?

Will we be seeing future suspensions that say:
    Suspended until 2/2/11 (no contact until 1/23/11 – got an a$$ kicking and needs to chill for a while)

• baldguy80 says:

Guthookd: Guthookd says:
    January 4, 2010 at 7:46 pm (Quote)

Dustin is such a classy guy, I hope he’s 100% soon too. And I hope he’s fed more quality fights!

• fanoftna33 says:

How the hell did this list not include the guy who was a punching bag for over 13 min(Lauzon).
    Anybody else see a pattern of guys returning from knee injuries,Hazlett,Lauzon and Franca then getting blown out in thier return fights. Well I hope the UFC doesnt treat Hazlett and Lauzon like they did to Franca and fire them. Maybe there should be a little leeway for guys coming back from these types of injury, like having them compete in the WEC against competition that is not quite ufc caliber but still a stern test, I mean Sam Stout is a handful for anybody let alone a guy coming off a 11 month recovery process.

• buzzcramp says:

Hopefully Dustin Hazelett heals up well physically and mentally… that kind of destruction could destroy a fighter.

• buzzcramp says:

buzzcramp: Hopefully Dustin Hazelett heals up well physically and mentally… that kind ofdestruction could destroy a fighter.

** “…destruction could destroy a fighter permanently.”

• elkymbo says:

Connor Cobain: @PlagueAngelYa but what he was talking about was the fact that Rashad who I normally like looked absolutly dreadfull. His once good wrestling game has turned to a sad shaddow of its former self.

Exactly my point Rashad needs to have a good look at himself if he wants to get back to the top. Just thinking you’re the best doesn’t make you the best.