Paul Daley: F*** Your Humility

Paul DaleyPaul Daley may be many things; one of the UFC’s fastest rising welterweights, perhaps the best striker the weight class has to offer; but a humble man he is not.

As brash and outspoken as he is dangerous, the appropriately nicknamed “Semtex” could be seen shouting in the direction of someone ringside following his first round destruction of Dustin Hazelett at UFC 108, and according to Daley it was directed at a member of his fallen foe’s camp.

“Fuck your humility! I just knocked [Hazelett] out, now what,” Daley quoted himself as saying to a member of Dustin’s crew following the bout during the post fight press conference for the event.

Apparently the comments were in reference to someone from Hazelett’s camp saying that Daley needed to learn a lesson in humility. Something the outspoken knockout artist seems in no particular hurry to do.

The first round stoppage of the Jorge Gurgel trained submission specialist was the second of Daley’s career with the UFC, with his first being a TKO of Martin Kampann at UFC 103 in September.

• Richard Stabone says:

Eh…of the two truly game opponents Daley has fought in the past couple years he lost to Shields and beat Kampmann. (Kampmann used his same “defense” tonight that Daley used to exploit him.)

It’s always cool to see new young talent infused into the UFC, but until Daley beats Kos or someone like that I’ll have a hard time not chuckling at his Brit smack talk.

• Johnnybigone says:

Daley vs Kos NEEDS to happen. ASAP.

• Jak says:

I don’t know. He apologized immediately after. He didn’t wait till later or tomorrow, he apologized the first chance he had on the mic.

Can’t fault him for that to much.

• Unabomberman says:

Hmm.

Koscheck vs Daley seems like lots of more fun, now.

• cocoonofhorror says:

nick thompson clowned him too…looks like this might be another brit that the UFC gives favorable matchups to to help promote their cards in England. his ground game is fecal, Kos would maul him.

• KTru says:

UFC gives favorable match up?
    Like Hazelett a ground wizard
    Like Kampmann one win away from title shot

Yeah Daley has been spoon-fed his opponents (sarcasm)

• Makington says:

Well he hasn’t exactly been given favourable match ups but it was nothing he couldn’t win (obviously). I’d still say Kampmann was bigger test than McLovin, especially since he came into it with short notice but Dustin has showed some weaknesses in his chin in the past, which is the worst recipe for the hardest hitter at WW.

Both fighters had pretty good hype with a decent chance of winning but Daley was never much of an underdog.

• cocoonofhorror says:

uhhhh, yeah. Mclovin cant beat himself off standing and Kampmann is not the striker he is. he and Hardly get spoon-fed, the only difference is Hardly gets his spoons in his own backyard, where Daley is willing to travel to fight his cans.

• Makington says:

They’ve been the underdogs in every fight btw. Dan Hardy was supposed to lose to Gono, Markham, Davis, and especially Swick. I don’t think he earned his title shot but he hasn’t been spoonfed opponents yet.

Kampmann beat the piss out of Volkmann just a day ago, while holding respectable victories over Leites, Condit, McFedries, and Barros. I thought he’d be way too well rounded for Daley, although I thought Hazelett was kind of a spoonfeed. If he could get him down then it’d be an easy night for Mclovin but the KO was pretty likely.

• edub says:

Paul Daley earned some more respect tonight along with another good paycheck but I don’t think he’s a contender. If the UFC puts him in with Johnson it would be a great scrap. I also think giving him a #1 contender match would be dumb. Id say give him another shot against a fighter like Johnson, Condit, Ellenberger, or the winner of Swick vs. Thiago before you throw him in with a Fitch,Kos, Alves.

• CheekyMunky says:

Doesnt make sense to me…
    Can anyone clarify this for me?

• Makington says:

CheekyMunky: What im kinda confused about is Anthony Johnson doesnt qualify for a KO of the night bonus because he came in overweight at UFC 104… But Paul Daley comes in over weight and “we arent allowing him to cut any more due to health risk” and Ko’s Hazelett and he DOES qualify for a KO bonus… WTF?Doesnt make sense to me…
    Can anyone clarify this for me?

There are a couple things to keep in mind. Johnson came in at a whopping 176 for that fight as opposed to the one pound Daley missed. Although Daley has missed weight before in his career, everyone is almost expecting Johnson to miss weight due to how big he is. So with all this hype about how Anthony can’t make weight and what not the UFC put a little extra precaution for him to make the weight, which is mostly unnecessary considering he has only missed weight twice I think, and one was with just a weeks notice.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Regarding Paul Daily-

E dub said it best-,
    “If the UFC puts him in with Johnson it would be a great scrap. “

• Jstew3785 says:

I might get a few thumbs down for this….. but I kinda like Daley’s attitude. I’m all for sportsmanship, but after all this is fighting.

I think the attitude has to have the backing of a well rounded and respected fighter… Daley is neither at this point but that’s just IMO…

• fanoftna33 says:

The thing that got me during the firhg is that Hazlett is 6ft 1 compared to Daley being 5 ft 9 now we always hear that AJ should go up to MW but a guy like Hazlett who is only 1 in shorter could really make a splash at MW I think. The guy could add a solid 20 lbs of muscle and move up, he would be a great match for Maia, and at 6’1 he is still on the tall end of MW fighters.

• Jstew3785 says:

• Makington says:

Jstew3785: Well Daley has been saying he’ll knock people out, and so far 2-0 UFC with 2 KO’s. He’s backed up every bit of that talk so far. Not saying Fitch or Koscheck wouldn’t beat him, but so far he’s lived up to his own hype.

He has done what he said he would do, but if he would live up to his own hype, he would have to become jesus. That’s just the way he talks about himself.

• Lord Faust says:

I’m not going to hold anything against a man that was said during an adrenaline surge after KO’ing someone in front of an audience of 10s of thousands live, and millions on PPV. I thought Daley’s reaction was understandable; his apology sincere; this is sort of a non-issue.

• bowlingotter says:

You can call me a skeptic until he beats a wrestler.