Dana White: Trying to get Koscheck and Fitch to fight has been an absolute nightmare

jon fitchThe UFC currently has a problem. What do you do when two of your best fighters that compete in the same weight class have no intentions of facing off against one another? How do you determine who the true challenger to the title is?

While a showdown between fellow American Kickboxing Academy trained fighters Josh Koscheck and Jon Fitch isn’t very likely anytime in the near future, it hasn’t prevented the UFC brass from attempting to put the fight together for obvious reasons.

“My problem with this division is the two best guys out there are Josh Koscheck and Jon Fitch, and trying to get them to fight has been an absolute nightmare,” said UFC President Dana White following UFC 108.

And while any fight fan with a steady hunger to see the best test themselves against one another will likely never stop asking for this fight until it happens, it’s not hard to see where Fitch and Kos are coming from in regards to preferring not to slug it out at this point in their careers.

Perhaps a title could change the perspective of either Fitch or Koscheck if that day should come sometime soon.

For now it seems like British wrecking machine Paul Daley will be a likely next opponent for one of the two following his UFC 108 destruction of the highly regarded Dustin Hazelett.

“What we’re going to have to do is get [Fitch or Koscheck] to fight Paul Daley and see what happens,” said White.

The most likely next opponent for Daley at this point would appear to be Koscheck, as Fitch is rumored to be facing off with Thiago Alves in a rematch rumored for UFC 111.

• cocoonofhorror says:

Kos will turn his lights out.

• Dufresne says:

cocoonofhorror: Kos will turn his lights out.

Not seeing it. Kos’s standup game is much improved, but I see him taking Daley down and grinding out a decision.

Unless you were talking about Kos v Fitch. In which case I still don’t see it. That’s another 3 round decision with either of them taking it depending on whose night it is.

• KTru says:

With Evans performance from last night fresh in our minds, why does Fitch get a pass?
    He does the same thing with winning rounds 1 and 2, and does everything not to get KO’d in the third.
    Evans had a smart non-exciting fight last night, but got the W, barely….

If the WW division was a little bit deeper Kos v Fitch would not be an issue.

• Makington says:

Don’t forget the still relevant Mike Swick. He won’t fight Fitch or Kos either. He just recently got pushed out of the top 5 by Dan Hardy, but he could easily work his way back up there with the guys he won’t fight when he faces Paulo Thiago soon.

• MacBatty says:

Not sure if you guys have seen any of his recent fights lately but, Kos isnt taking anyone down anymore.

He is going to try to bang with Daley and when he does he will go to sleep….To be honest i cant think of anyone that could use another beat-down more than Kos!

• hindsightufuk says:

i’m getting fucking sick of people from the same camp not fighting, i think if they are offered a fight and refuse it, you can sit out for 6 months, see who you’ll fight then

• CatchWrestling101 says:

I don’t think so Macbatty. I think the Thiago fight changed Kos. He looked great against Trigg and Johnson. Also he had no problem at all taking Johnson down and once there tapped him out. Johnson is a much better wrestler than Daley and if Daley wants to step up in competition and fight Kos, Kos will shut Daley’s big mouth for him. Kos over Daley; 2nd round/ref stoppage due to punches.

• CatchWrestling101 says:

Why does Dana want this fight to take place anyways. It just doesn’t make sense to me. If this fight takes place then 1 of the 2 will be eliminated from tiltle competition for awhile in an already weak 170lb division, actually the weakest division in the UFC. If Dana is smart then he would want Fitch, Alves, and Kos to stay unbeaten because they are the only 3 that pose any threat at all to St. Pierre. With that being said Alves is the lastest victim and it will be awhile before he gets another shot, so that really only leaves Kos and Fitch. The match that needs to be made is Daley vs Kos because Fitch vs Alves is already on for UFC 111. If Kos wins, which he will then he needs to get the next shot. Then the winner of the Fitch/Alves fight should fight the winner of the Matt Hughes/Renzo Gracie to set up the next shot at the title. Sorry Swick, you pissed your shot away with that loss to Hardy. Swick and A. Johnson need multiple strong wins in 2010 to get back in the title picture.

However, if St. Pierre vactates the title after destroying Hardy to train for the Olympics then you have the below senerio: You have a mini tournament for the vacent title. Kos/Daley winner vs Hughes/Gracie winner for the vacent title with the next shot going to the Fitch/Alves winner. And if there is to much time between fights for the Fitch/Alves winner vs………maybe a weight class jump for BJ Penn!!!!!!!

I hope St. Pierre vacates the title with a win. It makes things alot more interesting for the UFC.

• Makington says:

Basically agreed catchwrestling. GSP is one of my favourites an will always be, and I’d hate to see him not have the belt, but it would finally make WW interesting again. To be honest, I would go for the olympics. MMA fan aside, the olympics is the once in a lifetime opportunity to become THE best in the world, bar none.

Hey everybody has a price… DW try some more $convincing$ and maybe they will think twice…friends or not this is their job and how they put food on the table, make it more appealing to them and maybe they will consider.

• cocoonofhorror says:

i was talking Daley. Kos would dump him on his head, and if that didnt concuss him the following 8 unanswered shots to his oversized mellon would.

• PlagueAngel says:

• Jstew3785 says:

PlagueAngel: It looks like Fitch is getting Alves and Daley is fighting Kos. Now everyone can settle down. We all know Alves has the best chance against GSP, so after Alves beats Fitch, he can fight GSP for an exciting rematch.

Where in the hell have you been man?

• MCM says:

Why would anyone want to see Kos vs Fitch? I get that they are amongst the best in their division, but Fitch is boring. And Kos would most likely resort back to being boring too if they ever fought.
    I like the idea of Daley vs. Kos cause it will show the huge hole in Daley’s game and give Kos a win over another guy with a ton of hype putting him in the #1 contender spot. I also don’t see Fitch getting passed Alves.

• I can’t say that I am super impressed with Daley yet. He looked sloppy against Dustin. I think that Alves would roll Daley up. Kos would give Daley more than a hard time and Daley would for surley loose when the take downs begin and rear naked choke that Kos has get put on him. Throw in Fitch and lets not forget Anthony “Rumble” Johnson who was kicking Kos’s ass B4 Kos purposely poked Johnson in the eye… If you don’t think so then just watch the replay…da da da finger extension. Daley in my opinion is untested.

Alves is hungrier than ever and still the number 1 contender in my opinion.

• moosebaby02 says:

FightFan313

• FightFan313: I can’t say that I am super impressed with Daley yet. He looked sloppy against Dustin. I think that Alves would roll Daley up. Kos would give Daley more than a hard time and Daley would for surley loose when the take downs begin and rear naked choke that Kos has get put on him. Throw in Fitch and lets not forget Anthony “Rumble” Johnson who was kicking Kos’s ass B4 Kos purposely poked Johnson in the eye… If you don’t think so then just watch the replay…da da da finger extension. Daley in my opinion is untested. Give Daley what he wants.. Alves. If Daley puts the Semtex on Alves I will get on the Daley band wagen. Daley knows it, which is why he asked for Alves. Alves put up the best fight against GSP I mean, who else has got out from under GSP, and like GSP stating he was in ahhh just to be in with Hughes in the 1st fight, I think Alves was just in ahhhh to be there. Alves is hungrier than ever and still the number 1 contender in my opinion.

• superdavenorcal: Really? After Alves got clean swept by an injured GSP? Fitch actually put together some offense got up from under GSP more than Thiago did, and IMO put up a much better fight. At least GSP was at 100 percent when he beat up Fitch. Thiago needs to work his way back up the ladder just like everyone else. Kos shouldnt even be in the title picture. I just dont see how knockin out Frank Trigg, and beating AJ gets you in top contention….however I guess I could’ve said the same for Dan Hardy beating Gono, Markham, Davis, and Swick. But at least he has a 4 fight winning streak. Thiago needs to fight Daley…for a true test to both. Fitch and Kos should fight so that we can watch two great wrestlers try to knock each other out.

Ya, I’m as serious as a Cory Hill broken leg, ,none of us knew GSP hurt during the fight. GSP said that “it didn’t hurt that bad during the fight because of the adrenaline and after the fight the pain really kicked in”. True fitch threw more offense but like I said. I think the stage set Alves back a little like GSP vs Hughes 1. like GSP said ,he couldn’t believe he was in with Matt Hughes…it was like a dream.. and we know what happended in the 2nd match. I mean. Fitch was beat the fuck up. and he’s 6 foot with a reach advantage. Alves wasn’t in that bad of shape. I do think Alves needs to work his way up the ladder but I still think he is the number 1 contender. I would like to see Kos and Fitch fight but the pay will have to be big to get to training partners to fight.

How about this.. Give Daley Dan Hardy after he loses to GSP… I forgot about Hardy.

• PlagueAngel says:

Doing the whole Army Infantry Airborne crap. I’m stuck here in Alaska now…lame. How do I get thumbs down for saying GSP vs Alves would be an exciting rematch? Who else even has a chance of getting close to beating GSP? Certainly not Kos, Fitch, Outlaw. Daley is way too young right now. Have you seen Fitch fight lately? Grinding wins over sublevel fighters.