Junior dos Santos flattens Gilbert Yvel at UFC 108

ufc 108Heavyweight wrecking machine Junior dos Santos gave Dutch knockout specialist Gilbert Yvel a swift beating this evening at UFC 108 to further solidify his place among the top of the heavyweight division.

The fellow strikers threw down this evening from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

The two powerful heavyweights went to work from the start with both throwing heavy hands and kicks, but it was Dos Santos who caught Yvel with a massive left hook as the two exchanged, dropping the UFC newcomer and finishing him off with a series of punches on the ground in the opening round.

The victory was the fourth of Dos Santos’ during his stint in the UFC, with all four wins coming by way of KO or TKO. Prior victims of the Black House trained fighter include Fabricio Werdum, Stefan Struve and Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic.

• Connor Cobain says:

Well that fight dissapointed me, I think Yvel will get another chance though. I think the UFC should give Yvel a rematch against Cheick Kongo to see which one gets to stay in the UFC

• fanoftna33 says:

This sucked as I was really looking forward to seeing Yvel put on a show, but props to Dos Santos, man he is a beast. I cant wait to see what he can do on the ground…..

• Jak says:

dos Santos… still cruising.

Yvel got under his skin and he Ko’d him in only couple minutes.

Great performance.

• Guthookd says:

Well, I guess Dos Santos deserves the recognition he is getting. He handled Yvel far more quickly than I thought he would. I was hoping for at least 2 rounds out of this one, but hey, a finish is a finish.

Well done Junior. I have a feeling we’re going to see him square off with the soon to be interim champ Shane Carwin.

• redness says:

whats up with that it ear I mean Ive seen some bad ones but if it had fingers I would have thought it was a hand on the side of his head.

• kuboa says:

Santos will be champ soon enough. All over but the cryin’.

@ redness- yea that thing is mutating.

Guess dos Santos is still feeling this interim match is unfair to all involved in the HW title picture… but maybe he will be next in line as things get sorted out over the next few months. Over all the HW division is going to be exciting this year IMO

• spirona says:

Fair or not, Dos Santos will have to wait in line behind Big Nog v. Cain. That winner will fight the winner of the interim match between Mir/Carwin. With 5 legitimate contenders in the mix, one has to be on the outside.

In my imaginary world where I’m Joe Silva, I would have Carwin v. Velasquez for the interim title, Dos Santos facing that winner, and Mir v. Big Nog II, facing that winner. Ideally, I think Carwin should fight Dos Santos for the interim title and Velasquez should be in Dos Santos’ slot. But that’s not realistic since Dos Santos just fought and Velasquez and especially Carwin have been inactive a while.

Regardless, even with Lesnar’s unfortunate situation and the current pecking order, I’m very excited about the HW division in 2010 and can’t wait to watch the fireworks and the settling smoke thereafter.