The UFC signs Takanori Gomi

Japanese superstar Takanori Gomi has signed a multi-fight deal with the UFC. The former PRIDE lightweight champion had been vocal in recent months about his desires to fight in the states for either STRIKEFORCE or the UFC.  Well it appears Zuffa has made the acquisition.

MMAFanhouse.com was the first to report the signing crediting sources close to the situation for the news.

With an overall record of  31-5  “The Fireball Kid” will soon join the toughest competition of his career. Once regarded as one of the top lightweight fighters in the world, Gomi holds wins over  Mach Sakurai, Jens Pulver and Duane Ludwig to name a few.

No date for Gomi’s debut has been given as the UFC is yet to officially announce the signing.

• fanoftna33 says:

This is a great signing for the ufc and acually a bit overdue. Gomi will come in with a ton of hype(think Cro Cop type hype) and hopefully he puts on exciting fights.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Big signing. I hope he does well. It will be good to see Maynard, Edgar and the like competing with him.

• redness says:

Sherk should be his first fight.

• MMASwami says:

Good signing but I wish it would have happened a few years ago. Gomi has lost a lot of his mystique in recent years, imho. Would still be nice to see him blast out some of the current UFC lw’s and make a run towards a rematch with BJ.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Wait a minute.
    Did this story break before or after Shinya started ripping arms off of opponents?

• MCM says:

I say give him Florian or Sherk for his first outing.
    Gomi has a lot of hype as one of the best LW’s in the world, so I think they should toss him in the deep end first fight out. If he wins, he’s on his way to title shot. If he looses, then he get’s exposed as the can crusher a lot of MMA fans think he is.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

If it’s true ,then turn the question mark into an exclaimation point,you effing English teachers!

• Would have liked to see this a couple of years ago. Still like to see Gomi fight but he isn’t the same as he use to be. Hopefully he can regain his old form.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

And if you wanna have some REAL fun,.find and post the last time Gomi and BJ fought.
    Of course, you might want to add a warning of brutal violence for the squeamish,just in case some Gomi fans haven’t seen it.

• paddiosf says:

I cant see him doing that well in the UFC:
    -Only 2-2 in his last 4 fights which includes only 1 KO win
    -Much more surperior grapplers in the UFC then Pride
    -Past his prime and everyone remembers his better days ala Crocop, Wanderlei
    -Plus I think Dana likes to see how the former Pride Elite would fair against the Top
    of the UFC and isnt going to give him a tune-up fight and throw him in against a Florian
    or Top 5..I ‘ll surprised if he wins many and get relaesed after losing a couple..Watch

• nate says:

after watching his last fight i would LOVE to see Ross Pearson fight Gomi.

• Niv says:

Like many here I agree this signing was a few years too late as Gomi is a shadow of his former self. He’ll probably lose most fights and everyone will say the usual see he was overrated, but the truth is he’s just past his prime.

Just for nostalga I’d like to see another BJ vs Gomi fight, the first one was a great fight and the potential for sheer entertainment still exists.

Regardless I look forward to seeing Gomi fight again, I always liked his style.

• sexy-yama says:

this is the best jap import aside sexy-yama that im most excited to see ,whether he does good or bad least he had the guts to come to the ufc unlike aoki and co, ppl should stop speculating with a bunch of reasons y he will do bad , win or lose should be exciting fights

• KTru says:

“jap import”??????

wow racist comments are allowed here.

Call an Asian that and see if you they appreciate it

• Guthookd says:

I agree with most, this would have been a lot more exciting a few years ago.

You never know though, maybe this won’t be a Crocop repeat. Gomi might find some new motivation and put together a good run. If he could take out 2 or 3 top LWs I’d be interested in a BJ rematch, which has got to be part of Gomi’s goal in coming to the UFC.

• hindsightufuk says:

this is great for me, i just want to see Gomi fight regularly, against worthy opponents.
    be nice if they could get him in a stand up fight for his first match, Spencer maybe?

• sexy-yama says:

KTru: “jap import”??????wow racist comments are allowed here.Call an Asian that and see if you they appreciate it <—–also that last line doesnt make sense

i am asian dude, get a clue man, i was just shorting it, japanese import there you go

• KTru says:

Get a clue…,.

yeah with your name I could guess you are.
    My point being is myself along with other non-“japs” can call you that.

Does anyone remember what Bill Parcels said a few years ago when he was coach of the Cowboys?
    my point exactly….

• Give him to diego sanchez first.

• sexy-yama says:

My point being is myself along with other non-”japs” can call you that.
    my point exactly….

man you are one angry man how about you stfu every has disagreed on your comments give it up,your the onli having a cry about this,im sorry if i upset you ok….. there you go, ilike i said i was just shorting the phrase japanese imort, get over it sookybum

• sexy-yama says:

also i’ve been called alot worse than jap import,i think you need to harden up son