Shinya Aoki: I could feel it popping, I could hear it break, breaking it more would have been fine by me

shinya aokiComing off of the heels of perhaps the most devastating submission in the history of his limb twisting and tapout inducing mixed martial arts career over Mizuto Hirota at “Dynamite!! 2009“, DREAM lightweight champion Shinya Aoki recently went on record in Japan to offer an apology for his extremely offensive and uncalled for mocking of his fallen victim as Hirota writhed on the canvas in agony, but not before he made it perfectly clear that he was fully prepared to separate the fallen Sengoku champion’s arm from his torso altogether if it wasn’t for the referee getting in the way.

“When I had his arm behind his back, I could feel it popping,” explained Aoki in a recent report at Sherdog.com. “I thought, ‘Well, this guy’s pride just won’t let him tap, will it?’ So without hesitation, I broke it. I heard it break, and I thought, ‘Ah, there, I just broke it.’ I was stopped afterward, but even if I hadn’t been, continuing to break it more would have been fine by me.”

According to DREAM event producer Keichi Sasahara, Aoki was sternly reprimanded following the bout for his post-fight antics that included the submission master standing over his fallen foe while giving him the finger and running around the ring mocking the fact that he had just severely injured Mizuto.

“After my fight, I was excited, and so I did something rude that I should apologize for,” said Aoki. “But that showed just how excited I was over that fight.”

According to Shinya, he’s an assassin for the promotion he represents, and it’s all in DREAM’s hands as far as who he goes after next.

“When Sasahara tells me to go and do something, I do it, and that’s how I live my life,” said Aoki. “If Sasahara tells me to go to Strikeforce and take them out or ‘Go and kill that guy,’ I’m going to do it.”

However, with that said, in the next breath Japanese superstar went on to confirm that he had accepted a challenge from fellow DREAM lightweight Tatsuya Kawajiri in the near future, stating, “I received a challenge from [Kawajiri], and so without telling him to shut the f— up, I accept the challenge and look forward to our fight.”

Aoki went on to say that the earliest possible date he could see himself facing off with Kawajiri would be in March.

Strikeforce is currently targeting an early 2010 promotional debut for Aoki, with lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez as a possible first opponent.

• hindsightufuk says:

sternly reprimanded

brilliant, basically means Dream couldnt give a shit as he is one of their biggest stars.

Fights against Kawajiri and Gilbert would be awesome for me, cant wait to see both/either. i know everyone goes on about how he would match up in the UFC but both those fights plus the Alvarez rematch, Thompson, Gomi, Tokoro, Evangelista, Diaz maybe at cathweight, those are all great options outside the UFC

• Johnnybigone says:

Well from a fans point of view, I couldn’t even begin to imagine the emotions go through you after you essentially ripped a guys arm out of its socket. Not saying that it wasn’t stupid to do what he did but emotions can run wild, especially for someone who seems as emotionally unstable as Aoki. (From bawling his eyes out to what he did yesterday)

These people fight for a living, remember that.

• Jak says:

I thought this action was pretty despicable, all along he should have fought Kawajri but instead Aoki takes an easy fight against a nominal fighter and breaks his arm.

• Curly Biddles says:

Aoki simply did what he was supposed to do, finish the fight. He was fighting a formidable opponent (Sengoku champion), that Refused to Tap. Who wouldn’t do the same thing? Would you let him go so he can hit you in the face? No! Aoki sent a message to future opponents that they Better Tap when your in trouble or else. His opponent knew the risks going in, after all, it is a fight! Flipping him off was completely uncalled for, but they can’t really do anything about that except insist that he apologize (i.e. Brock Lesnar). I am excited to see Aoki fight in Strikeforce in mid-to late 2010 that’s for sure!

• Johnnybigone says:

Jak: I thought this action was pretty despicable, all along he should have fought Kawajri but instead Aokitakes an easy fight against a nominal fighter and breaks his arm.It really takes a top fighter to take a fight against a much lesser fighter and then injure the guy.

I’m not sure the matchmaking was his choice was it? And god forbid he does what hes good at and the guy doesn’t feel like tapping.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

I’ve always hated Shinya Aoki,but –
    At the very least,Shinya Aoki’s victory has inspired the 5 oz. boys to write articles truely worthy of being called,”BREAKING News”.
    AWWWWW YAHHHH,I said it!

Aoki has a history of crying when he loses,and crying when he wins – the sensitive one.
    It would have been way cooler if he had wept after this victory.
    He would have become -the psychotic one.

Personally I think he was truely pumped after winning the decisive victory in the Dreams vs. Sengoku Battle,and really enjoyed the moment.
    I bet there’s tons of (get ready) PRIDE for Team Dreams,after beating Sengoku.
    And I bet they take that stuff SERIOUSLY.
    And although maybe he deserved a yellow card,who cares?
    Obviously he’s a Lesnar fan.
    Man ,like it or not,Shinya’s win was BADASS.
    His postfight actions were memorable.
    What better way to raise your stock before coming to America.
    Hell,it’s like Bas Rutten implied about Brock Lesnar.
    You want to see him win or lose,but you’re looking forward to the fight.
    I can’t wait to see him fight in Strikeforce,because I hope he gets beat up.
    But I would rather see the badass Aoki, than the sensitive one.

P.S.Happy New Years ,5oz brothers and writers,and thanks for an incredibly fun and angry and informative 2009.
    I’m looking forward to both supporting and battling ALL of you MMA poets in 2010.
    LET’S GET IT ON…

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Oh ,and I hope they ban his spandex pants over here.
    It’s just not right.

• cocoonofhorror says:

if he comes to North America he will be fighting for Shine or MFC. he is 2nd rate, except for his schtik which is 3rd rate.

• neijia says:

obviously aoki shouldn’t have flipped the guy off but what should you do if your opponent just won’t tap?

I’d like to hear why the other guy refused to tap. that was just a really stupid decision. what did he think would happen? that aoki would let his arm go? that he’d fight with one arm? if we say he couldn’t tap with his other arm, he could verbally submit.

• kuboa says:

Let’s be mature here and distinguish between (a) doing what you need to do to win; and (b) forsaking the most basic hint of good sportsmanship and simple human decency.

Aoki is clearly a devastating fighter never not to be taken seriously. That’s not the issue. Neither is his excuse that he was all hopped up and excited, as if that is not a constant concern for all competitors.

As a person, howevr, this spoke volumes “Rude” does not truly describe it. You’d have to include terms like “shameful,” “grossly immature,” “terrible for the sport,” and similar verbiage to define his behavior. I fear that he will not be fined into the stratosphere, which might be the one thing to discourage other fighters today or in the future from such childish antics that detract from their true abilities and accomplishments.

Aoki, I say unto you, Your actions were unambiguously DISGUSTING. You did something you “should” apologize for? Show some self-awareness and make it right, you ass.

• Austin says:

I would have told that guy to go fuck himself too. If you’re willing to get injured and be sidelined for 6months-1year then you are a dumb shit who doesn’t respect the sport or your body. Aoki is an emotional guy. Sometimes he cries when he wins.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

“But what about the countless American fighters that have gone on record to call out Aoki over the years? Where’s the motivation to make them eat their words?”

He has signed with SF Cory…thats in America. If you are implying UFC fighters, well they can’t fight out of the UFC can they? is that his fault? and every fighter in the world can not be expected to sign contracts that restrict them so greatly in order to keep people like you happy. Perhaps you should reverse the argument and say why are those American pussies not leaving the UFC and America and backing up their words by going to Dream or WVR?. See what I’ve done there?. Perhaps those Americans are scared of how skinny he is, his spandex and Japanese wrestling.
    Just a hunch but I think you might be American Cory.

P.S. what he did sux.

• Guthookd says:

I respect him as a fighter, but I do not respect his post fight antics. I wish all the great fighters, BJ and Aoki included, would show the kind of respect people typically associate with Martial Arts.

That said, I can’t wait to see Aoki fight in Strikeforce. He could quite possibly dominate, even without any standup game to speak of. Melendez will be a good fight.

real tough guy… look the guy doesn’t tap fine break it due to him not tapping, but to say you would have taken it further is just stupid- show the respect you want in return.