Minowa Man crowned Super Hulk Champion with TKO of Sokoudjou

minowaProving that big things come in small packages, the smallest man involved in the DREAM Super Hulk Tournament was crowned the Super Hulk Champion as Ikuhisa Minowa ended up knocking Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou senseless with a huge punch for the upset victory.

The two threw down at the New Years Eve DREAM/Sengoku/K-1 promoted event, “Dynamite!! 2009” in Saitama, Japan, and airing live on HDNet.

After a dominant first round for Sokoudjou, Minowa Man ended up nearly finishing off the decorated Judoka from Team Quest with a nasty knee bar before the end of the round rescued the larger fighter.

In the third round it looked as if neither man knew that the fight was scheduled for any longer than two rounds as both fighters engaged in a prolonged staredown that resulted in a nearly unprecedented two yellow cards(20% from each fighters purse) for inactivity.

“If they don’t do something soon I’m going to take off my suit and get in there,” said color commentator and Strikeforce middleweight, Jason “Mayhem” Miller. “I mean, there’s not a shot, not a jab, not a dread lock flying in the wind…”

However, just as it looked as if both men may be disqualified for refusing to throw a punch , it was Minowa that wiffed with a big right hand which he followed up with a huge left hook that landed square on the jaw of Sokoudjou and sent him sailing to the canvas for the TKO loss.

• jding3 says:

What a dud of a tournament.
    I wasn’t impressed with either fighter and I was shocked at how Soukodjou was afraid to pull the trigger. I’ve always liked watching Sokoudjou and would like him to do well, but this is a serious setback and he has a lot of stuff that needs to be worked on if he ever wants to be a relevant fighter.

• Bad Monkey says:

Poor Sokoudjou, every time he seems like he’s tightening up his game something like this happens. He may have been better off if Mayhem had jumped in the ring.

• fanoftna33 says:

I was glad Minowaman won this tournament as it was fun to watch, but what I am left thinking is how does little Nog feel seeing the guy(Sokoudjou) who ran through him in just seconds in Pride, doing as badly as he has been? The guy has been getting beat by anybody not named Sapp or Nortje in every way possiable. Maybe it is time for Sokoudjou to switch camps and see if he can reach his potential in a new setting.

• Guthookd says:

I didn’t see this coming, I’ll admit. I’m still having a hard time believing it.

• 3OAM says:

That was a definite early stoppage. Sokoudjou may not have survived if Minowaman jumped and started g’n’p, but he was fine when it was stopped.

I thought that stoppage was definite bullshxt.

• I’ve always been told that lightning doesn’t strike twice in the same place but it seems to have done so with “The African Assassin.”

His KOs of Lil Nog and Arona (although, if you believe Arona, he was nearly on his deathbed with the flu, lupus, dum-dum fever, and the shakes) shot him up to the top 5 of the LHW rankings but he has shown next to nothing since then.

I’m officially called Sokoudjou a bust.

• fanoftna33 says:

I wouldnt say he is a complete bust but overhyped for sure, and maybe he was brought along far to quickly after his two big wins in Pride. This goes back to what I posted earler that he should get a change in camps and really try to improve his cardio because he really does have some great tools to work with. And maybe take some time off to try to fix whatever it is that is wrong with the knee he wraps with about 8 rolls of tape for every fight.