Koscheck out, Mike Swick in against Paulo Thiago at UFC 109

thiago koscheckJosh Koscheck recently confirmed his removal from his UFC 109 rematch with Paulo Thiago through his Twitter account last evening, and it already looks as his spot on the card has already been replaced.

“I will be good to go back to training in a couple of weeks I hope!… It’s all good and I’ll get my body rested and back to the top real soon,” tweeted Koscheck.

The UFC didn’t have to look for long to find a new opponent for the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt as Sherdog.com has reported that Koscheck’s training partner at AKA, Mike Swick, has been tabbed to face off with Thiago at the event.

Swick will be coming off of his UFC 105 decision loss at the hands of Dan Hardy while Thiago recently toppled UFC newcomer Jacob Volkmann via decision during UFC 106.

UFC 109 is scheduled for February 6, 2010 from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

• Nick Havok says:

Any word on the type of injury Koscheck sustained?

Bummer this fight isn’t happening now though. It had a good storyline associated with it. I really wanted to see if Josh could exact his revenge on Paulo.

Now it’s just another fight in my opinion. Solid match-up, yes…but nothing I am going to open my wallet up for.

• fanoftna33 says:

Hopefully the injury was a concussion caused by Swick while training.

• Jstew3785 says:

I wonder if Thiago will get on twitter and call Koscheck a big pussy for backing out….

• Jstew3785 says:

fanoftna33: Hopefully the injury was a concussion caused by Swick while training.This could be a tough fight foe Swick as Paulo has good power and much better submissions, but if Swick is able to keep standing he will probably be able to outpoint him and get a ud. I am getting kind of tired of seeing Paulo thrown to the ATT guys though as there are lots of quality WW fighters in the ufc besides the three ATT guys.

They train at AKA, not ATT….

• fanoftna33 says:

Easy mistake all thoes gyms starting with A look and sound the same.

• Jstew3785 says:

I know, just messing with you.

• fanoftna33 says:

• Jstew3785 says:

fanoftna33: I dont mind a bit, acually it’s nice that people can make a mistake like that and not get jumped on by 500 posters for being all kinds of stupid like other sites.

Exactly. That’s why I love this site. Honest mistake and I was just busting your balls. No personal attacks, no name calling

• moosebaby02 says:

F THAT
    Fan your a fool for not knowing that
    lmao

• moosebaby02 says:

by the way what is wrong with the almighty Kos? thought he wanted to fight every month? nothing here says him being hurt?

That sucks. Wonder whats up? The madness of illness, injuries and back outs continues into the new year……

• Makington says:

Yah, let’s hope this doesn’t start some crazy trend. But man, I would not want to be in Thiago’s shoes right now. He is still a relative newcomer to the UFC, still relatively unheralded, and yet he has fought the top of the WW ladder. Kos, Fitch, the hype-driven Volkmann, and now Swick? Props to him for taking such tough fights but he’s fighting tougher competition than the actual contenders themselves. I want to see Fitch fighting Kos and Swick, half because they’re team mates who refuse to get a title shot over each other, and half because they’re legit contenders who need to fight each other.

• felrod says:

“Dan Hardy aint ever fought a fighter like me” – Josh Koscheck.

Wouldn’t it be amazing if Swick, Kos’ teammate who lost to Hardy, rips through the same PAulo Thiago who KTFO’d Kos???

Swick is a good fighter who didn’t deserve to be put down by his own teammate like that, I really hope he wins and shows up that arrogant prick.

• Makington says:

Lol felrod, but Kos didn’t realize he threw his teammate under the bus. He backed up the next sentence and tried to reword it but he really should have thought that one better. Let’s not forget that Kos was absolutely ripping through Thiago before he got caught.

I didn’t really like seeing Hardy getting the next shot but I guess it was the right decision after all?