Anderson Silva: The next champion will be Nate Marquardt

anderson-silvaWith ever present talk of an inevitable temporary vacation from mixed martial arts since what seems like the beginning of UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva‘s stint with the promotion, it’s nearly impossible not to wonder what sort of shape the 185 pound weight class in the UFC would take upon the dominant champion’s exit, or even defeat in the sport.

According to “The Spider” himself, he actually feels it will be a man he has faced off with in the not so distant past. A man widely known as “”The Great”.

“I think the next champion of this category will be Nate Marquardt,” said Silva in a recent coversation with Tatame.com, translated by urdirt.com. “If I’m not over with the belt, I believe Nate will be the next champion 84kg, the next guy to win for a long, long time this way.”

While others have freely pointed to Marquardt’s progression as a fighter since the time the pair first faced off as a theory as to why Nate would pose the toughest test for Silva at middleweight, it’s also something that Anderson himself has not failed to notice.

“I’ve been following all his fights and he has evolved a lot since the last time we fought He has evolved a lot, it’s hard, has a good feature for a fighter, evolved a lot during the fight,” explained Silva. “I believe he is the next champion in that category.”

• JTfromCharlotte says:

I’d like to see Marquardt take the belt from Silva – not obtain it through some sort of tournament or otherwise. Not only would I like to see it happen, but I believe it could.

War Marquardt!

• Nick Havok says:

I definitely think Nate Marquartd is the #2 middleweight in the UFC now that Henderson is gone from the organization.

But to say he will rule for that division for a long time is nothing more than an exageration in my opinion.

Is Nate tough? Hell yes he is…but he isn’t so great that he struts in and disposes of people without being touched, like Anderson Silva does. No, Nate actually has to fight hard and scrape for his wins.

I personally don’t think anyone will rule the MW division like Anderson has. I think we are seeing history in the making with every Silva fight. Nobody will be able to do what he is doing for a long, long time…if ever.

I think Spider goes out as champ… think he wouldn’t have it any other way… just incase he needs that door to open again in the future.

• fanoftna33 says:

Although I think the end result would be the same a match with Silva and Marquadt now would be so much better than the first one. Nate has become so much more agressive since the loss to Silva, before the Silva fight he had one finish and 3 decisions, after the Silve fight he gets 4 finishes(Over some very tough guys like Gouveia and Maia) and 1 decision loss. That is a amazing turnaround from defeat for a already great fighter.

• retrofitting123 says:

tough to say but i dont see anyone dominating the class like asilva has.if hendo was younger it would be a toss up between him and nate.Maybe the ufc should should recruit from 205 to thicken the talent pool at 185 bc i also feel its a weak division compared to 170 and 205

• RU486 says:

Both Vitor and Wanderlei are going to be fairly unstoppable at 185. As of right now, there are more threats to Silva’s crown than ever before. Nate, Vitor, and Wanderlei all 3 have the potential of beating him if the stars were alligned just right.

• Nick Havok says:

Let’s compare arguably the top 10 from each promotion…

UFC:

5. Robbie Lawler
    6. Scott Smith
    7. Cung Le
    8. Frank Shamrock
    9. Benji Radach
    10. Joey Villasenor

Once Hendo gets the belt it’s kind of a given him holding on to it for a while… I don’t see anybody on the SF list giving him a problem… maybe a good fight but no real challengers. On the other hand throw the UFC guys in the mix and Hendo has some tough fights… and in fianlly if you put Anderson Silva on either list I see 2 decent match ups but no one is takling that belt any time soon from him from either promo… yes both rosters are staked but only one champ can fend off both rosters.

• Angry Mike says:

Marquardt may be the top contender, but it’s all theoretical until he beats Silva. And the resurgent Belfort is a dark horse who could beat Marquardt. Also, Mousasi can compete at 185, and if he ever moves to UFC, he would be right at the top of the list, too.

• king mah mah says:

I’ve said it before and i’ll say it again. Nate probably would have won their first bout had it not been unjustly stood up putting Anderson in his comfort zone. I know i’ll get some thumbs down for this, but Anderson is not as invincible as everyone makes him out to be. His days as champion are numbered. He is going to lose by devastating knockout! Thumbs it down bitches!

• Rich S. says:

Marquardt IS the next best Middleweight in the UFC right now..
    So, he SHOULD be the next champion..

• I still think anderson would take the great. Nate is really really good but andersons foot work and feel for distance make him unstoppable at this point. HeavyWeights are the only fights that could give Anderson Silva a run for his money. Nate is the next Champion shadowing Silva at 185 but like BJ Penn, Anderson Silva’s time is now.

I would like to see Gegard Mousasi and Anderson Silva fight. Mousasi reminds me of Anderson in a way. They have the same attitude. Mousasi has more a mysterious way about him and with Andseron you just know he is going to strike, he always has his hands out feeling his way in. Anderson has a great great ground game and Mousasi has really good ground and pound.

Push for Unified Belts

• BigDave says:

Im going to say this now. although there are some great fighters at MW my top five overall goes Mousasi, silva, belfort, marquart, and Dan henderson.

I’m getting the feeling that Silva as good as he is may be losing the disire to fight anymore.His change in attitude during fights and now him saying who the next champ will be. Could he be considering retireing and the belt being vacated? I hope not I want to see him lose the belt the old fashioned way, staring at the lights after getting KTFO.

• darinp2 says:

If Nate isn’t going to fight Anderson (like if Anderson beats Belfort and then moves up in weight) I would definitely pay to see a fight between Nate and GSP at middleweight (or close to that).

• felrod says:

Darin: Nate and GSP are part of that JAckson/Whitman/Zahabi conglomerate…which means you got a better shot at Cris cyborg’s 145 lb belt than those two have of fighting at MW

• felrod says:

Big Dave: Mousasi isn’t a MW he fights at LHW, even turned down Vitor Belfort stating “Fighting at 185 is no longe possible”

Hendo is a tweener, he fights at 185 and 205. Actually he also fights at 195 (vs Rich Franklin)

I can’t really argue with your other 3 choices though.

• sexy-yama says:

i think moose could cut back to 185 if he really wanted too but his probly lazy too do a big cut

• Im about to get booed out of the building here, but Mousasi hasn’t quite sold me yet. He is a SAVAGE..no doubt, but his biggest wins are over Babalu(No stand up skills) Soudkojou(I never thought him to be everything everyone claimed) Manhoef (to me someone who still needs to prove he’s as good as everyone says he is) and The male Cyborg. I think Hendo is gonna toss him onto his back and maul him.

Now on topic….What an awesome thing for Anderson to say. A man he whooped is getting praise from him. I think if the great could actually keep Anderson on the ground he could either grind out a decision or possibly get the TKO. He is brutally strong, as well rounded as anyone out there and he has the best game planner EVER in his corner in Greg Jackson.

I dont feel its fair Vitor gets the next shot, but the power he has in his hands can change the course of any fight.

However…the Spider is in my eyes the top P4P fighter in the world because he fights the best….and makes them look like nothin while he’s doin it. Cant wait to see if he’ll go back to 205 after Shogun takes the Dragons belt. I would watch The Spider Vs. Shogun more intently than any fight….EVER

• felrod says:

he has the frame to stay at MW and retire lhw but he is slowly adding lean muscle with the goal of transitioning to HW as his body fills out and he gets his old man strength.

The way he is adding weight, which is properly and not inflating his muscles with water, makes a cut back down not only improbable but also detrimental to his end goal.

• felrod says:

this last post was in reference to sexy-yama thinking he Mousassi could make it bck to MW

• Nick Havok says:

Gegard Mousasi has already announced that after he fights for Strikeforce in April that he will be heading back to Japan to fight in DREAM’s Light Heavyweight Grand Prix.

He said he will fight once more for Strikeforce after that, and then possibly enter into some boxing matches.

So I don’t think we will ever see him fight as a middleweight in MMA again.

…not to mention he said he never would and promptly put his DREAM middleweight belt up after he said it.

• sexy-yama says:

well jones just got ktfo by the green machine! now anderson should keep his eye on danny green instead of jones jnr,would love to see anderson smash him after he retires, btw green is no chump

• sexy-yama says:

Nick Havok: My question is who has the more exciting middleweight division now…UFC or Strikeforce?Let’s compare arguably the top 10 from each promotion…UFC:
    1. Anderson Silva
    4. Jason Miller
    5. Robbie Lawler
    6. Scott Smith
    7. Cung Le
    8. Frank Shamrock
    9. Benji Radach
    10. Joey VillasenorI can’t say one is better than the other…but holy moly, both organizations have a deep list of talent at MW! I am loving it.

weaksauce indeed

• sexy-yama says:

and thank you felrod for that explaination touche*

• Nick Havok says:

sexy-yama: weaksauce indeed

Only weaksauce to the uneducated.

Because I bet if you matched up the two sides I bet that Strikeforce could win a good portion of those fights. Look at them on paper…

Silva vs. Shields – No contest. Anderson wins by whatever he wants.

Marquardt vs. Henderson – Toss up. Either man could win. Too bad the UFC blew the opportunity to make this fight happen.

Belfort vs. Miller – Say what you want, but Miller is as tough as they come. He has never been stopped with punches and I don’t see it starting here. He would most likely be the underdog in this fight…but I would love his chances in it. I think Miller could take Belfort deep into the fight and possibly end it with a submission.

Maia vs. Souza – Toss up. And probably a fight between the two best pure BJJ guys in all of the MW division. I’d lean towards Souza. That guy looks unstoppable and trains at Black House.

Sonnen vs. Lawler – This would either be a boring wrestling match with Chael winning a UD, or Robbie comes in and knocks his jaw off. Tough fight to call though.

Okami vs. Smith – Same as Sonnen/Lawler, either the UFC fighter wins with lay n’ pray…or the Strikeforce guy knocks him out.

Bisping vs. Le – I’d strongly lean towards Bisping in this fight. He is overall much better…but then again, look what Cung did to Scott Smith on the feet? Can’t say I wouldn’t be tickled to see Bisping dropped with a crescant kick to the dome.

W. Silva vs. Shamrock – Battle of the has-beens. I doubt Wanderlei would hit Frank with those big looping hooks and I doubt Frank could submit the Axe-murderer. Again, this would be a crazy fight that I have no idea what would happen.

Akiyama vs. Radach – If anyone is getting knocked out in this it would be Akiyama. Not Radach. And again, the UFC guy would have to drag this to the ground if he wanted to win it. Because if Misaki can KO Akiyama…then I’m pretty sure Benji can too.

Belcher vs. Villasenor – Tough call amongst two upper B-level fighters. Either guy could win this.

So in closing, when you pair them up, the UFC doesn’t seem that dominating to me. A lot of those fights would be barn-burners though! Dream fights.

• JabCrossHook says:

Nate is a pretty well rounded fighter but for people to think he can out strike Vitor Belfort, it’s ridiculous. I don’t see him finishing Belfort, plus look at all the opponents that Vitor fought. You say he’s not prepared for the wrestling of Nate? He fought Henderson losing by decision but he put up a good fight and was never really dominated. What does Nate have in terms of wrestling compared to Hendo? And this was Hendo in his prime during pride. He fought legitimate heavyweights such as Alistair, and Heath Herring. Vitor has much more experience compared to Nate, in terms of strength I really doubt Nate is stronger physically, or has better boxing than Vitor. Everything else is up to debate.

• fanoftna33 says:

Nick you just listed the super bowl of mma, if only Dana would really put on the fights people wanted to see, hell I would pay double the price of a ppv for just half of thoes fights.

• jj says:

Just a month or two ago Anderson and Ed Soares were pissing and moaning about Nate not being deserving of a title shot and all the crap that followed, which possible contributed to the exodus of Dan Henderson. Now he is saying Nate is going to be the next champion? WTF?

I like when fighters say they’ll fight whoever the UFC wants to match them up against, not complain that everyone that they try to put him up against isn’t deserving.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Belfort beats Marquadt in my book.
    Well said jj.

• I agree with you on most of those Nick…
    Anderson would murder Sheilds….
    The great vs. Hendo would be awesome
    Maia Vs. Jacare best BJJ match ever

Miller is tough as Hell but Rich Franklin had only been dominated by Lyoto and Anderson….Vitor beat him more impressively than those two did. I think Vitor could probably KO Miller quick

Le [deleted – no fighter bashing]…..he would get smashed by Anderson, Hendo, Nate, Vitor, Akiyama…and I believe Allen Belcher AND sadly, Bisping. His

Wandy would BULLDOZE Shamrock…I wouldn’t call The Axemurderer a has been by any means…A great decision loss against Franklin..Getting Knocked out by the best Puncher in the Business in Rampage….a bruatlization of Jardine…and a timeless classic loss against Chuck…my friend as Wandy would say….I would kick the shamrock ass. Frank on the other hand is a has been. He got eaten Alive by Cung Le, annihilated by Diaz.

Benji Radach would get run through by Sexy yama…period.

Basically Minus Hendo Strikeforce has alot of Mid tier level UFC level MWs….I still think Strikeforce puts on outstanding events but by no means do they have better fighters than the UFC.