Ladies and gentlemen, it’s time! It has been an extraordinary year of ups and down for all of those involved in the rapidly growing world of mixed martial arts, but all things must come to an end, and it’s time for FiveOuncesofPain.com to dish out our official year end awards for the crazy year that was 2009.
We’ll be diving headfirst into a series of fifteen end of the year awards, with a new award being distributed every single day through December 31 with a special two part New Years Eve year-end award extravaganza.
In this edition we have FiveOuncesofPain’s top gyms of 2009:
1. Black House: Anderson Silva, Lyoto Machida, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, Junior dos Santos, Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza
We’ll call this clan of bad ass Brazilians that help each other prepare for one another’s bout Team Black House for the lack of a better term. Silva, the Nogueira brothers and Machida all spend time at separate camps for large chunks of time, but usually come together when it counts and there’s no way this extraordinarily talented group of fighters wasn’t going to get the nod because of politics.
2. American Top Team (Coconut Creek, Florida): Thiago Silva, Ben Saunders, Mike Brown, Mark Bocek, Hector Lombard, Bobby Lashley, Tyron Woodley
3. Arizona Combat Sports: Ryan Bader, C.B. Dollaway, Aaron Simpson, Carlos Condit, Joe Riggs, Jamie Varner, Jesse Forbes, Jacob McClintock, Pat Runez, Elena Reid
4. Xtreme Couture: Randy Couture, Forrest Griffin, Gray Maynard, Tyson Griffin, Jay Hieron, Vitor Belfort
5. American Kickboxing Academy: Jon Fitch, Josh Koscheck, Cain Velasquez, Mike Swick, Daniel Cormier