5 Oz. 2009 MMA Awards: Beatdown of the Year

Ladies and gentlemen, it’s time! It has been an extraordinary year of ups and down for all of those involved in the rapidly growing world of mixed martial arts, but all things must come to an end, and it’s time for FiveOuncesofPain.com to dish out our official year end awards for the crazy year that was 2009.

We’ll be diving headfirst into a series of fifteen end of the year awards, with a new award being distributed every single day through December 31 with a special two part New Years Eve year-end award extravaganza.

In this edition we have FiveOuncesofPain’s top ten most brutal beatdowns of 2009:

BDOTY

1. Matt Brown vs. Pete SellUFC 96: Ten seconds into what ended up being one of the most barbaric beatings ever caught on film, Brown sent a blinding superman punch crashing into the chin of Sell and things started to spiral out of control really fast. Immediately after the initial strike, it was a huge head kick that was blocked but still nearly collapsed Sell to the canvas, and then a big right hand from Brown leveled the wounded fighter. This is the point when referee Yves Lavigne made arguably one of the worst calls in the history of the sport, moving in to stop the fight, but for some unknown reason, stepping back and telling Brown to “Keep going! Go, go,go,go,go!!!”. Brown looked at him like he was crazy because it was apparent that Sell was a done-dada, but went right ahead and did just that, he kept going. A couple of hard knees to the ribcage drops Sell yet again and Matt Brown climbs on top of him and tees off on the side of Pete’s face while the semi-conscious fighter has a “WTF” expression pinned to his face. After that it’s a little strangulation action as Sell gets trapped in a guillotine trying to stand up, and when they separate a couple well placed elbows in the clinch from “The Immortal” send the Pete’s mouthpiece to the Octagon canvas. It doesn’t stop there folks; Sell backs up, OBVIOUSLY hurt, and Brown tees off on his face with big knee strikes, pleading with Lavigne to call a halt to the contest. Finally it’s a few well placed punches on the fallen and bewildered Sell that brought to a halt a mugging that should have been stopped at the twenty second mark

2. Brock Lesnar vs. Frank MirUFC 100: Lesnar turned Mir’s body into a human pancake in this hard to watch beatdown, pummeling his carcass and face with a series of lunch boxes from the prison domination position on his way to transforming Frank’s face into ground hamburger and unifying the UFC heavyweight crown in the same night.

3. Cris “Cyborg” Santos vs. Gina CaranoStrikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg: I don’t know if it’s just a little harder for everyone else to watch a woman be beaten as mercifully as MMA’s sweetheart was on this fateful evening, but this lesson in humility ranks among the worst beatings of the year regardless of the circumstances. You could say that Cyborg “just wanted to destroy something that was beautiful”.

4. B.J. Penn vs. Diego SanchezUFC 107: Although Sanchez made it a point to go out fighting, all the heart in the world couldn’t have stopped this from being considered a beatdown in the truest sense of the term. The numbers don’t lie; B.J. Penn’s 150 strikes to Diego’s 8 combined with one of the gnarliest cuts to the forehead in the history of the game equals a one sided beating.

5. Nick Diaz vs. Frank ShamrockStrikeforce: Shamrock vs. Diaz: I don’t remember the exact number of strikes Diaz ended up nailing Shamrock with in the last hailstorm of fists that brought a conclusion to this pummeling, but I’m pretty sure it was right around the fifty-something mark. Shamrock just couldn’t seem to get it going on this night, but Diaz sure could.

6. Kerry Vera vs. Kim CoutureStrikeforce Challengers: Woodley vs. Bears: I think the reason for the high amount of female bouts on this list has to be the fact that the sport is still developing for the females, and this leads to mismatches more often than would normally happen. With that said, it takes nothing away from the fact that Kerry Vera’s beating of Kim Couture was another of the hardest to watch fights of the year.

7. Mike Brown vs. Leonard GarciaWEC 39: Most people expected for the heavy handed Garcia to at least keep it competitive for as long as the fight stayed on the feet, but a huge punch from Brown in the opening moments of the WEC featherweight title fight changed those preconceptions in a flash. From there it was all bad for Garcia as a series of strikes was followed up with an excruciating looking choke to seal the deal.

8. Cain Velasquez vs. Ben RothwellUFC 104: It doesn’t get much more one sided than this. Cain actually won the exchanges standing (something many didn’t expect) and then proceeded to make the massive Rothwell look like an amateur as he scooped him up and battered his face with punches over, and over, and over, and over, and over…..

9. Jon Jones vs. Matt HammillThe Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale: Jones may have suffered a defeat on paper in this bout, but Hammill’s face and spirit following this display of violence painted an entirely different picture. Jones ended up landing somewhere near forty strikes while in the mount position before this fight finally met it’s end.

10. Cris “Cyborg” Santos vs. Hitomi Akano Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Diaz: Cyborg has an uncanny ability to make her opponents look WAY out of their league. This “fight” was no exception. The end of this one looked like a bad case of domestic violence.

Good List… Lesner really did tee off on Mir’s face… worst was when you can see Frank Mir’s father in the background pretty much pleading to end the massacre… all the madness in this match makes the inevitable rubbermatch all the better. Maybe the “new “Frank Mir can return the favor? ehh we’ll see.

• Nick Havok says:

Georges St-Pierre vs. BJ Penn 2 anyone?

That was a one-sided ass beating if I have ever seen one. I can’t believe it didn’t make the list.

Or how about Anderson Silva’s embarassment of Forrest Griffin?

Seriously, it was all one-way traffic in both of those fights. But good list none-the-less. :)

• Angry Mike says:

Maybe it was over too quickly to count as a beatdown, but Lindland’s loss to Belfort was pretty dramtatic. Honorable mention, perhaps.

• fanoftna33 says:

that was a perfect pick for the #1 spot as that was just a brutal fight to watch.

• Rich S. says:

Either way, I would replace Brown/Sell with most of the others you have in the list there.. Just on the “importance” factor..

• Nick Havok says:

I also like ‘Notorious’ Antz Nansen’s utter destruction of overly hyped Judoka Hiroshi Izumi at Sengoku 10.

Freakin hilarious how they introduced Izumi as this great thing, and even showered him with golden confetti and flanked him with guys holding flags in his walkout…only for him to get in the ring and have his ass handed to him in under 3 violent minutes.

In the middle of the onslaught, Izumi even looks over to the ref with a look of, ‘is this really happening to me?’ and then CRACK! Nansen delivers the final blow which ended Hiroshi’s night.

Like Michael Schiavello said, you don’t mess around with fighters from South Orkland. :)

• Nick Havok says:

Rece Rock: I agree both of those fights were one sided beat downs… Until you mentioned them they didn’t really register and I think that was the problem they just weren’t as memorable as other fights (aside from the other headlines that came from the fights)… like everyone had the Foresst running joke going for like 3 mos…talk about beating a dead horse, but I think that part of the fight was more memorable for the fans than the actual fight. Plus ppl have a soft spot for forrest so they usually give him a pass. Same thing can be said with Grease gate taking all the glory over the actual fight- ppl hate BJ and loved that he couldn’t accept defeat quietly. Dunno just my opinion.

Excellent points.

I even have a buddy who can’t see the brilliance of the Silva-Griffin fight because he is much too big of a Forrest Griffin fan. It’s like when I ask him about it he just gets mad and says how much he hated that fight.

I’m like dude, I realize you are a big Griffin fan…but that was the most awesome display of striking that we have ever seen inside the Octogon! You can at least see that right?

…and he just gives me a dirty look.

So yeah, I think people’s adoration for Forrest is kinda killing that fight as the greatest thing we have ever seen. It would be like if it happened to Randy Couture.

Like Couture, people love Forrest Griffin, and would just as soon try to forget about that loss as quickly as possible.

And I definitely agree that ‘Greasegate’ stole a lot of St-Pierre’s glory. It’s like when you think back to that fight, you don’t remeber the one-sided ass kicking first…instead you just remember all the controversy that went along with it.

Which is sad…but true.

• king mah mah says:

@Nick Havok- Dude how many times do you need to say how awesome Anderson is? I’ve seen you post it a few times now. Is Anderson the one who introduced you to that lolli=pop!? LMAO!

Just giving you a hard time Nick, don’t take it personal.

• Rich S. says:

Rich S.: Yeah, I’m surprised Silva/Griffin isn’t on here, but I’m assuming it was long enough to be a true beatdown..

*WASN’T*

• king mah mah says:

Can’t really argue with this list. It’s probably the best list yet. Good job.

• king mah mah says:

Look guys, the Anderson/Griffin fight just wasn’t nearly as brutal and violent as the fights on this list. I know you guys are fans of his but that doesn’t mean his fight belongs on this list.

• trunk says:

I think the GSP vs BJ 2 Should be on there as well as Forest Vs Anderson.
    I dont think Brock Should be on there at all just because of the size difference.

• Makington says:

You could also give GSP/BJ II as well as GSP/Alves for 2 one sided beat fests.

I also wouldn’t mind seeing Brian Foster’s absolute demolition of Brock Larson. In a fight I felt 99% sure giving Larson, he got dominated worse than he’s ever been. He was deducted 2 points in the first round from illegal blows that Brian Foster not only recovered from, but acted like they didn’t happen.

Good pick on Brown/Sell, although I don’t know if I would have it number 1, I remember it being particularly violent. By the end of the fight Brown wasn’t even punching Sell, he was just giving him weak slaps that passed completely through Pete’s guard to show the ref that having the fight go any longer was ridiculous.

• hindsightufuk says:

cains beating of rothwell was one of the most dominating performances for me

also mention has to go to Gegard for making Babalu look like a chump

• MCM says:

GSP vs Penn 2 was a great beatdown but on that same card was Lyoto vs Silva. Lyoto gave the undefeated Thiago Silva the worst beating of his life and really turned the world on to how great a fighter “the Dragon” really is.
    Great list otherwise and the Sell vs Brown fight was easily the best beatdown of the year.

• Jak says:

king mah mah: Look guys, the Anderson/Griffin fight just wasn’t nearly as brutal and violent as the fights on this list.

It’s hard to brutally beat a guy when he runs away crying.

I think you take to much away from Anderson Silva. He beat the guy who went toe to toe with Rampage for 5 rounds and made him run off crying without the guy landing a decent punch and the guy who goes toe to toe with Nate Marquardt(the top contender in the WW) Thales Leites, kept curling up in a fetal position to avoid being beat down.

A beatdown isn’t always about sheer violence, Anderson Silva took away these grown mens dignity more than anybody else did. When was the last time you saw a former champion run away crying…. ?

BEATDOWN!

• fraz says:

I’m glad that 30% of the games of the year on the NBA site aren’t WNBA games.

• fraz says:

Lesnar vs Mir:

” … human pancake… pummeling his carcass…series of lunch boxes…prison domination position…ground hamburger…”

Some of your best writing of all-time, Cory. Brilliantly succinct and accurate description.

• saerbarnet says:

Is “prison domination position” what 10th planet clowns call Half guard?

• islandguy says:

Re Penn vs Sanchez.. I think Diego will have to add “on Elm Street” to Nightmare.. he looked a lot like Freddy Kruger after the fight.

• felrod says:

I would of liked to have seen Affliction make it onto the Beatdown of the year list. I mean who got brutalized worse in 09?

• felrod says:

Nate Quarry vs Tim Credeur….honorable mention for mutual face basting?

• RU486 says:

I can’t believe Cain Velasquez vs. Cheick Kongo wasn’t on this list. Kongo took his ass-beating like a man. I’ve never ever seen a man take an ass-beating like he did…. for 15 minutes. Yet Cain vs. Rothwell is on the list, as well as Diaz vs Shamrock made it.

Good call on Brown vs. Sell. Most unnecessary ass-whoopin’ of the century by all counts.

• sexy-yama says:

• Perfect call on Sell vs. Brown for Number one. I watched that fight the other day and cringed after the headkick. I agree on the whole greasegate thing. Brutal beatdown but cheating is cheating and should DQ you from everything….even The fiveounces of pain awards.

• Makington says:

Kerry Vera is Brandon Vera’s wife. Kim Couture was Randy’s wife, now ex-wife I believe.

• Sans_Peur says:

sexy-yama: cain velasquez on kongo doesnt deserve to be on list imo,kongo rocked him2 it wasnt all 1 sided, but yeah forrest and silva should be there, that was just too ez for silva w0w, also im gonna watch the kerry verra vs couture one since it made the list is kerry vera the sister or wife? btw I also reckon my beatdown of belcher shoulda made it j/ks LOL

Kerry is the wife, and is an accomplished women’s Muay Thai fighter herself. The MMA transition was bound to happen sooner or later. I predicted it after her stint on Fight Girls. Yeah, I watched it. What.