5 Oz. 2009 MMA Awards: Submission of the Year

Ladies and gentlemen, it’s time! It has been an extraordinary year of ups and down for all of those involved in the rapidly growing world of mixed martial arts, but all things must come to an end, and it’s time for FiveOuncesofPain.com to dish out our official year end awards for the crazy year that was 2009.

We’ll be diving headfirst into a series of fifteen end of the year awards, with a new award being distributed every single day through December 31 with a special two part New Years Eve year-end award extravaganza.

In this edition we have FiveOuncesofPain’s top ten submissions of 2009, and as a special added bonus, I’ve gone ahead and included video to the top three. Enjoy:

1. Toby Imada vs. Jorge Masvidal – Bellator 5 (Inverted Triangle Choke)

2. Masakazu Imanari vs. Justin Cruz – “DEEP: Cage Impact” (Omoplata-Twister of Misery)

3. Shane Del Rosario vs. Brandon Cash – “Strikeforce Challengers: Gurgel vs. Evangelista (Omoplata)

4. Brad Pickett vs. Kyle Dietz – WEC 45 (Peruvian Necktie)

5. Mackens Sermerzier vs. Wagnney Fabiano – WEC 43 (Triangle Choke)

6. Demian Maia vs. Chael Sonnen – UFC 95 (Triangle Choke)

7. B.J. Penn vs. Kenny Florian – UFC 101 (Rear-Naked Choke)

8. Seth Dikun vs. Rolando Perez – WEC 41 (Flying Triangle Choke)

9. Shinya Aoki vs. Joachim Hansen – “DREAM 11: Featherweight Grand Prix 2009 Final Round(Armbar)

10. Satoru Kitaoka vs. Takanori Gomi – “World Victory Road Presents: Sengoku no Ran 2009(Achilles Lock) for Sengoku LW championship

Honorable Mentions (In no particular order):

Ricky Story vs. Brian Foster – UFC 103 (Arm Triangle Choke)

Bibano Fernandes vs. Joe Warren – DREAM.11: Feather Weight Grand Prix 2009 Final Round (Armbar)

Ikuhisa Minowa vs. Hong Man Choi – DREAM.11: Feather Weight Grand Prix 2009 Final Round (Gigantor Heel Hook)

Joe Lauzon vs. Jeremy Stephens – UFC Fight Night 17 (Armbar)

Brock Larson vs. Mike Pyle – UFC 98 (Arm Triangle Choke)

Luke Rockhold vs. Cory Devela – Strikeforce Challengers: Cyborg vs. Villasenor (Rear-Naked Choke)

Luke Rockhold vs. Jesse Taylor – Strikeforce Challengers: Gurgel vs. Evangelista (Rear-Naked Choke)

Mike Brown vs. Leonard Garcia – WEC 39 (Arm Triangle Choke)

• fetussandwich says:

That inverted triangle choke leaves me in awe. What a thing of beauty.

• Makington says:

Agreed fetus. There was no doubt in anyone’s mind that it would be the winner, and for good reason. I honestly didn’t even know it existed until he did it. I remember the first time I saw it I didn’t even think it would work. I was watching him throw his legs to hold on then I noticed he was trying to choke him, but I was sure it wouldn’t work. Then he tapped, and then my jaw hit the floor.

I think it should go down as one of the best submissions of all time.

• Bullylover says:

That inverted triangle was crazy & right after he took a beating in the first round.

• Rich S. says:

Ah I never saw that Del Rosario fight.. It’s been a looooooong time since I last saw someone tap to an Omoplata…

• rage says:

• edub says:

rage: wat the hell is number 2 all about…was that a crippler crossface lol!…no for real imanari is crazy man i saw him in cage rage nearly rip jean silvas knee out!

I think its a twister/omaplata manuever. It would’ve been my number 1 if that inverted triangle didnt happen.

• nate says:

i move to officially re-name imadas’ manuever to a “bermuda triangle choke”. furthermore i though jake rosholts arm triangle strangling of leben to atleast make an honorable mention. i mean leben looked dead when he let go..just my opinion.

• Esawchuk says:

• Jak says:

No love for Dustin Hazelett of Tandom McCrory? It was a pretty sweet reverse armbar.

• fraz says:

Esawchuk: Hmm, Penn in the top 10 eh. His choke was nice, opening it up with his heel kicks and all, not sure if it’s worthy of top 10. Let’s not forget about Krzysztof Soszynski, the kimura he used on Brian Stann was very impressive

Never be surprised to see BJ Penn in any of Cory’s articles.

• Cory Brady says:

@ Jak – You’re right man, it was a sick armbar, but it was in 2008.

@ Fraz – I think B.J. is a phenomenal athlete and one of the sport’s top fighters (as many do), but honestly he’s never been one of my “favorites”. In my opinion, submitting a fighter like Kenny Florian (a BJJ black belt that had never been submitted before) in a championship bout was pretty big.

• Jak says:

Cory Brady: @ Jak – You’re right man, it was a sick armbar, but it was in 2008.

Ha, ha… owned!

I’ll stop posting when i’m pumped full of “christmas cheer”….

on that note… Merry Christmas my fellow 5ouncers!

• […] senses after being leveled at the hands of Money to hit the massive brawler in a grizzly omoplata Five Ounces deemed to be the third nastiest submission of […]