Submission of the Year? – Masakazu Imanari vs. Justin Cruz (VIDEO)

With FiveOuncesofPain.com‘s “Submission of the Year” award being handed out tomorrow, we felt like it was appropriate that all of you guys check out what was an extremely late, but extremely painful addition to the race.

Normally known for his limb splintering leg locks, on December 19 Masakazu Imanari hit Justin Cruz with one of the most vicious submissions ever caught on tape at “DEEP: Cage Impact“. The best way to describe this monstrosity would be some type of hybrid omoplata/twister.

Sound nasty? It is. But not nearly as nasty and tasteless as Imanari’s post-fight celebration. I’ll take the Rock Star energy drink over this any day of the week. Check it out…

And make sure to tune in tomorrow to find out which submission is ruled the absolute gnarliest of 2009 during the 5 Oz. 2009 MMA Awards.

• moosebaby02 says:

thats funny shit

• Jak says:

That was good. Actually that was awesome.

• BigDave says:

Ya good sub but what a douche bag move after winning. Laughed at it though.

• BigDave says:

Pickett’s Peruvian Necktie from wec 45 needs to be on the list it was sweet.

• ByronGiant says:

death by crippler crossface

• Makington says:

Lol, I thought it was kind of funny in a way. Reminded me of Rampage in almost all of his interviews. He always ends up holding someone down and humping them. Sure it wasn’t very tasteless but I don’t think he meant it in any sort of insulting way.

But I agree with Jak, it that fight doesn’t win then you have been bribed. I don’t even think he knee what he was doing. It looked like he was crossing his legs just so he didn’t fall and then was like, ‘Wait a second, wtfffff I’ve got him in some triangle thing!’ tightened and ended. It was the kind of submission you could never go for, but he somehow ended up in it.

• KTru says:

Jak: That was good. Actually that was awesome.But think Toby Imada vs, Jorge Masvidal at the Bellator finals has the award wrapped up.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpr9lPqcMDMAnd for people who didn’t watch the fight, it came after like 13 minutes of getting his a** kicked. The announcers had pretty much already awarded the 50k to Masvidal when Imada pulled this sub out with like a minute to go.

That was my Sub of the year prediction

• KTru says:

At first I was pissed that he did such a tasteless photo shoot.

Then thought, “he would never actually know what it is like to hold onto something that big down there”

To steal a line from a popular cartoon show….
    “You American have very large penis, we Japanese have very small penis”

Btw the submission was sick

Mr. Plastic

• hindsightufuk says:

that was sweet, like the elbows to the omaplata’d arm, nice work, imanari is the man on the ground.

that chick was proper cute too

• Kuch says:

I’ve seen worst post-fight celebrations.

The omoplata to RNC was good work.

• moosebaby02 says:

ya Jak that was pretty sick

• fanoftna33 says:

Both are great submission wins, but I think I would go with Imada’s just due to the fact that it was such a turnaround type of a fight.