Marcus Davis vs. Phil Baroni on tap for UFC 111

phil baroniAn expected welterweight match up between Marcus Davis and Phil Baroni at UFC 111 is being reported.

According to a report on MMAMania.com, the two have verbally agreed to meet in the octagon, although no bout agreements have been made.

Marcus Davis is coming off his first ever KO defeat at the knees of Ben Saunders at UFC 106. “The Irish Hand Grenade” is looking to rebound after suffering two defeats in a row to Saunders and Dan Hardy, respectively. Prior to the two consecutive losses, Davis won two straight against Paul Kelly and Chris Lytle.

Phil Baroni, is also coming off a defeat at UFC 106, losing a one sided unanimous decision to Amir Sadollah. The “New York Bad Ass” made his octagon return after competing in organization such as Strikeforce, Elite XC, and PRIDE.

UFC 111 is expected to take place on March 27th 2010 from the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. A headline bout between welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre and Dan Hardy is expected for the event. Also being rumored is a interim heavy weight tile match between Frank Mir and Shane Carwin.

• Dufresne says:

Unless Baroni catches Davis with a few big shots early this isn’t gonna go his way. Davis is a former professional boxer, and when you take the ground game and the threat of knees or kicks he’s gonna be a much bigger threat than normal.
    Add to it that Baroni’s cardio sucks, has always sucked, and will probably always suck, while Davis has gone the distance in several exciting, high paced fighters and I’ve never seen him gas and Baroni doesn’t have a chance outside of the first round.

• onebaldegg says:

• fetussandwich says:

According to mmaweekly.com, this match isn’t taking place and Baroni never agreed to it.

• Makington says:

Unfortunate fetus. I would have liked to have seen Marcus Davis give The Best Eva his walking papers. I know he’s a somewhat popular name, but I would much rather see the UFC bring in some younger guys with much more potential than see Baroni gas after 30 seconds. How about this, keep both Josh Neer and Tamdan Mcrory for the price of Baroni.

I wouldn’t have minded seeing Marcus absolutely pick Baroni apart and give him a one-sided KO loss though.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think this would have been a great fight maybe 3 years ago, but Davis has been ageing fast inside the octagon by taking a lot of fights and not having the best defense.

• Connor Cobain says:

Honestly I’m really happy about this fight, If it happens its a great fight for Marcus to get back in the picture with. I see Marcus by TKO

• xtreme_machine says:

Makington: How about this, keepboth Josh Neer and Tamdan Mcrory for the price of Baroni.

agree 100 %

• Dangerous says:

The Irish Hand Grenade is gonna explode all over Baroni after coming off the lone KO loss of his career. Hopefully this fight goes down!

• rage says:

onebaldegg: wow. this fight is about as exciting as watching an oil painting. who cares? i am more excited to watch my uncle carl fight someone for the last beer at this year’s christmas party! obviously, this is a prelim. maybe even something they should put in the parking lot while fans are waiting in line to get in and see the real fights! even SF wouldn’t touch this!

i dont mean to rude bud but that is an ignorant comment from u right there im guessing u jus read that marcus davis has lost 2 in a row and assumed hes crap….i mean hes not top10 ww but the guy always brings it and makes an exciting fight..for more info watch his fight against lytle,taylor or the joker

• Angry Mike says:

Whoever he fights, Davis needs to win. Not too many fighters hang around UFC after dropping three straight. And since both of these guys are bomb-throwing strikers, I’d like to see this one.

• moosebaby02 says:

any fight with Davis is always worth watching. would have been cool to watch if it was going to happen

• sweet..this is a fun fight to watch. baroni just may get knocked out. gonna be a good old fashion brawl. Marcus Davis by submission rear naked choke out cuz baroni aint gonna tap baby. rahhhhhhhhhh!!

• king mah mah says:

• Bullylover says:

Marcus davis by ko in the 2nd definately. The 1st round would definatley be exciting .

• nate says:

according to the other article if baroni is going to fight at 111 he is taking the old bj penn training camp of vaca in ha-waii. lol wouldnt another loss make his record 13-13?

• cocoonofhorror says:

after this Baroni will be o-2, and dropped like a load of goo.

• king mah mah: I agree it will be a fun fight to watch. But which one are you calling? Knockout or submission?

I’m calling submission in the second but won’t be surprised if baroni gets knocked out. this fight will be either dominant or grueling. ..cant wait.

I just want to say that if baroni does lose then I still want him in the ufc.

• danw84 says:

• Dufresne says:

danw84: Why are so many people against guys like Baroni? Oh no, he loses a lot. He’s still fun to watch get smashed and somehow not get knocked out for 15 minutes, not to mention his 2 minutes of fighting before he gasses.Is it such a bad thing that a guy with a record that isn’t all that great still fights in the UFC? Just because a guy loses a few times doesn’t mean he can’t still entertain.

He’s fun to watch and listen to, there’s no doubt about it. But he’s not a true mixed martial artist and he hasn’t been a real competitor in MMA since folks with a striking background descovered a that there was a ground game and vice versa.

• Jak says:

FightFan313: sweet..this is a fun fight to watch

+1.

• Scott H. says:

The UFC will likely have 200 fights for us to watch next year… they can’t all be title fights, or contenders fighting. I love the idea this fight to open up a pay per view, or on Spike. Hope it happens, and credit to Joe Silva for thinking this way, if he is.

Nothing suprises me anymore, but I don’t understand anyone who would complain about the fight. I’m bouncing on the edge of my seat when ever Bruce Buffer introduces Marcus Davis… say want you want about Phil Baroni, but he fights with everything he has, for as long as he can. Man, I hope this fight happens.

• I for one will be very sad if this fight doesnt happen. Baroni may not be a champion in anything other than trash talk but his 1:45 seconds of total war is always entertaining and bodes for a ferocious KO…Marcus has showed that trash talk can get to him. However… I only think Phil has two minutes to end this fight until Marcus schools him with better boxing and better everything else….Marcus by TKO round 2

• submit662266 says:

I think Davis wins this easily. Davis is competitive against the top guys (except the Saunder’s fight). If it goes past 30 seconds, Baroni doesn’t have a chance. Baroni . . . well . . . he’s a has been. I just can’t wrap my head around the fact that there are pro-fighters who do not train properly for a 15 minute contest. 15 minutes!!! Baroni needs to run 3-5 miles about 4 days a week, and he will have cardio!! He will look back in 10 years and be sorry he didn’t do this.

This is the closest to a UFC event coming to NYC that I’m going to get any time soon… I can’t wait to go- waiting for them to announce when tix go on sale… Mir/ Carwin on this card also I believe… GSP aswell , going to be sick- first time seeing a live event, amped.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Baroni=below b grade and just a personality. If you care about MMA cred and want the SPORT of MMA to stay healthy you should not support guys like Baroni and Kimbo. Dana White has said that he cares more about selling out arenas and PPV buys than keeping talent and I don’t blame him, he has a job to do and that is make money for ZUFFA (not to help MMA like a lot of people claim). People continue to want these fights and they don’t realize the consequences. I’m sure that if guys like Leben, Baroni, Smith etc were popular because of talent rather than just going out there and swinging they would fight differently and that is what scares me, they don’t fight to win as much as they do to entertain and are rewarded for it by “the fans” and the companies they work for. If in 10 years or so MMA has taken a huge turn towards WWE and pro wrestling, I want the people who support guys just “entertaining” rather than fighting smart (or well) to say these words to themselves…”I caused this, this is my fault”. Baroni is 13-12 and is a huge draw card because of his personality and the way he fights not because he is an elite fighter, kinda like The Ultimate Warrior and Hulk Hogan if you catch my drift.

well if you want to make forecasts like that about comparisons to WWE and what not I think the more important issue is that the guys whom are under skilled that just go out there and bang and don’t fight smart and most of the time get there asses handed to them but they put up one hell of a fight while lossing … those are the guys 15-20 yrs from now are going to dying young ,alzheimers patients or just mush from the beatings- look at Kerr and his tribulations… I think we see more of that side of the business as it grows and as fighters become less valuable and a dime a dozen. I don’t think those are the comparisons to pro wrestling that we should really be worried about.