5 Oz. 2009 MMA Awards: Knockout of the Year

fedor-arlovski-koLadies and gentlemen, it’s time! It has been an extraordinary year of ups and down for all of those involved in

the rapidly growing world of mixed martial arts, but all things must come to an end, and it’s time for FiveOuncesofPain.com to dish out our official year end awards for the crazy year that was 2009.

We’ll be diving headfirst into a series of fifteen end of the year awards, with a new award being distributed every single day through December 31 with a special two part New Years Eve year-end award extravaganza…. bonanza.

In this edition we have FiveOuncesofPain’s top ten most barbaric knockouts of 2009:

1. Fedor Emelianenko vs. Andrei Arlovski – Affliction: Day of Reckoning

Arlovski made Fedor look mortal and extremely beatable as the heavy handed former UFC heavyweight champion was absolutely picking “The Last Emperor” apart on the feet before Emelianenko leveled the playing field and Andrei all at once with a miracle right hand that sent the towering beast from Belarus sailing to the canvas, face-first in an unconscious heap.

2. Lyoto Machida vs. Rashad Evans – UFC 98

Not only had “Sugar” Rashad never suffered a defeat inside of the Octagon fencing during his career, Evans had never even come close to being knocked out up until his demolition at the hands of the winner…. and new light heavyweight champion, Lyoto Machida.

3. Brian Bowles vs. Miguel Torres – WEC 42

Torres was widely regarded as one of the top five pound for pound fighters in the world going into this fight and hadn’t suffered a single defeat in close to six years, but all of that came crashing to an end along with Miguel’s reign as the WEC bantamweight champion as Brian Bowles flattened him with a series of sleep inducing right hands.

4. Dan Henderson vs. Michael Bisping – UFC 100

Bisping showed the world exactly why it’s better to let your fists do the talking as Dan Henderson broke the cocky Brit off with a huge hunk of humble pie in the form of one of the most savage knockouts in the history of man, which was quickly followed up with the coup de grace punch of the year.

5. Shane Carwin vs. Gabriel Gonzaga – UFC 96

It looked like it was all over for Carwin early in the first round after being dropped with a big Gonzaga punch, but somehow the massive heavyweight managed to scrape himself off the canvas and deliver a huge right hand that folded Gonzaga against the cage like a lawn chair. From the brink of defeat at it’s finest right here.

6. Vitor Belfort vs. Matt Lindland – Affliction: Day of Reckoning

Belfort showed exactly how he rolls in the first round of this bout with Lindland when the power punching Brazilian layed out “The Law” with a huge punch before a series of GNP anvils induced the zombie rattle from Lindland’s feet during a few moments that had many scared for the Team Quest fighter’s health.

7. Fedor Emelianenko vs. Brett Rogers – Strikeforce / M-1 Global – Fedor vs. Rogers

One could make the argument that Fedor’s right hand is the hardest single punch in the sport of MMA, as it was this exact weapon that put the feared Russian on this list twice. The shot that exploded against the side of Brett’s head sounded like a watermelon being smacked by a baseball bat.

8. Jose Aldo vs. Cub Swanson – WEC 41

In easily one of the most jaw-dropping knockouts of this year, Aldo needed all of 8 seconds to run across the cage and blast Swanson with this flying knee of doom that would have made Ong-Bak proud.

9. Brett Rogers vs. Andrei Arlovski – Strikeforce: Lawler vs. Shields

Unfortunately, Arlovski has the dubious distinction of making this list twice…. for being knocked out. There were few that gave Rogers much of a chance against the far more experienced former UFC champion in this one, let alone anyone that expected for Rogers to turn off Andrei’s light switch at just twenty-two seconds into the mugging.

10. Roy Nelson vs. Brendan Schaub – TUF 10 Finale

“Big Country” couldn’t have picked a better moment to earn the biggest knockout of his career. The right hand that flattened Schaub was seen by literally millions and earned Nelson a long future in the UFC in the process.

Honorable Mentions:

Matt Hamill vs. Mark Munoz – UFC 96

Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal vs. Mike Whitehead – Strikeforce: Evolution

Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin – UFC 101

Efrain Escudero vs. Cole Miller – UFC 103

Scott Smith vs. Cung Le – Strikeforce: Evolution

Anthony Johnson vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida – UFC 104

Andre Winner vs. Roli Delgado – UFC 105

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs. Luiz Cane – UFC 106

Ben Saunders vs. Marcus Davis – UFC 106

Gilbert Melendez vs. Rodrigo Damm – Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Diaz

Marius Zaromskis vs. Hayato Sakurai and Jason High – Dream.10: Welter Weight Grand Prix 2009 Final Round

Dave Herman vs. Jim York – World Victory Road Presents: Sengoku 11

• Jak says:

D*mn… thought Nate Marquardt would have at least been an honourable mention with his knock out of fellow contender Demian Maia.

• Jak says:

Same with Alexandre Gustafson’s ko of Jared Hamman. That was one of the most brutal straight jabs i’ve seen.

But i guess neither of those fighters are big enough names.

C’mon this has Hendo written all over it… especially because it was Bisping…

• Jak says:

And 3rdly…. it should have been a 3 way tie at the top. Hendo, Fedor over AA and Lyoto over Evans were all just so picture perfect, it’s hard to say one was better than the other.

• Scott H. says:

Poor Andrei, on the receiving end of two of the top ten knock outs….

• Nick Havok says:

I can’t believe Marius Zaromskis’s two devastating Grand Prix headkick KO’s (he scored both in the same night!) get lumped together in one entry and did no better than to get the last place honorable mention.

Come on now.

Not to mention Dan Hornbuckle’s headkick of Gono didn’t even get an honorable mention at all. Wow.

• Portlychuck says:

How about Yahir Reyes’ spinning backfist over Estevan Payan at Bellator 6. honorable mention at least?

• Angry Mike says:

You can argue about whether to include K-1 because it’s kickboxing rather than MMA.

Hornbuckle damn near decapitated Gono, so I agree with Nick that it should’ve been on the list. Probably just an oversight.

• Scott H. says:

Other honorable mentions:

Thiago Silva droping Jardine.
    Todd Duffee’s debut against Tim Hague.

• Nick Havok says:

After thinking about this for a few moments…I don’t see how Anderson Silva KOing of Forrest Griffin isn’t #1.

Just for the ‘holy shit!’ factor alone I think it was the best.

I’m not kidding, I flipped a wig when I saw that. My jaw hit the floor. I was blown away. Whatever you want to call it, but my God was that awesome or what?! He looked like Neo while he was dodging bullets!

I have never in all my years of watching MMA have seen someone do that to another fighter before. Let alone in a UFC main event. Let alone someone who is coming up in weight to challenge himself against an ex-champion.

It was the most amazing display of striking I have ever seen.

• Guthookd says:

Lindland vs. Belfort was one of the most brutal KO’s I’ve ever seen. I thought for sure he had brain damage beyond what he entered the cage with…LOL. A seriously scarry moment.

I agree with the above on Hornbuckle vs. Gono. That was one hell of a head kick…..it’s actually the reason I have so much interest in Hornbuckle. He has a lot of potential, though he may not be the fastest fighter in the world. I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do in Bellator (I think it was Bellator that signed him). I think we’ll eventually see him in the UFC or Strikeforce. Probably 2011.

• Nick Havok says:

Ray Mercer vs. Tim Sylvia anyone?

If not for best knockout…that one would have to go down as most humorous KO of the year.

Seriously, Tim comes out and throws a quick leg kick at Mercer, who back up, drops his hands for a moment and gives Tim a look of, ‘oh you done f*cked up now, son’ and then proceeds to step in and crack Tim in the face with hardest punch he has in his arsenal.

If Timmy was a clock, he was at about 11:00 when he got hit. Then, as stiff as a board, he fell straight up and over and by the time he landed on his back he was at 6:00.

You can’t help but laugh when you see it.

• Makington says:

That one was pretty funny Nick. He fell in like slow motion too.

This list is ok I guess, but definitely nowhere near where I would have it at. Everyone has a different opinion on number 1, and for me it’s easily Aldo vs. Swanson. He landed a DOUBLE FLYING KNEE!!! That’s all you need to know. I thought for sure if Cub wasn’t dead, then his orbital bone was atleast smashed to jelly. It’s probably one of my favourite KO’s of all time, and I can almost guarantee that we will never see another double flying knee again.

• Makington: Also not to mention my jaw was sore for weeks after I saw Dan Hornbuckle kick Akihiro Gono’s head almost clean off.

Did you lose a bet on that fight? 😉

• GassedOut says:

Fedor KOs Brett Rogers was my favorite (and completely expected), but I’m glad Scott “Steel” Smith at least got honourable mention. Otherwise, pretty good list.

How ’bout that girl on New Jersey shore reality show getting rocked by the NYC school teacher in the bar…? To bad it wasn’t sanctioned.

Yes retarded reality shows are my guilty pleasure… don’t judge me. : )

• BigDave says:

How in the hell is Marious zaromskis head kick to Jason High not on here It was the best in my opinion. but still good list all worthy but please if you didn’t see it look it up and tell me it doesn’t belong here.

• Tough list here. So many good KOs each year its hard to rank them. Almost any one in the top 4 or 5 could be number 1.

• king mah mah says:

Henderson knocking out Bisping should have atleast been number 2. It was better than Fedor and Lyoto’s KO’s.

And why is Fedor on here twice? If anything I think his fight against Rogers should have been above the Arlovski fight. Neither of them should be at the top of the list in my opinion.

• arlovski is the only fighter in there to make it twice ha

• and Fedor whoops. thought I had a funny.

• Dufresne says:

I would put the Bowles, Henderson, Aldo, or Machida over the Fedor KO of Arlovski.

The only reason that KO was impressive is because we saw the otherwise indestructible Fedor in any sort of trouble. If he had come out like Mercer did against Sylvia (funny as hell btw Nick H.) we wouldn’t even be talking about it. Sylvia beat Arlovski twice including a KO, so why is it impressive that the best HW of all time did it?

Aldo’s double flying knee has to be one of the most incredible KO’s in history, period. I know he didn’t send a huge name sprawling, but he did lay out a big up-and-comer with a move that I have never seen in a grand total of eight seconds. 8 freaking seconds!!! That’s ridiculous!

Bowles’s KO was a 9:1 underdog or worse in most betting books. He was getting tagged by shot after shot, but in the middle of a Torres flurry he landed a beautiful shot that flattened the champ. That was incredible to watch, it was like watching Washington State beat USC this year.

The Henderson KO was also expected, at least in my house, but the devastating fashion that it happened was not. If Hendo had stopped after he flattened the Count, it would have been impressive, but he insisted on the Coup de Grace which made it terrifying.

And my personal favorite was Machida shutting Rashad’s mouth. This last season made me like Evans a little more as a person, but I still have the PPV of Machida punching him in the mouth on my DVR. Rashad just talks so much trash and he has since the 2nd season of TUF that it was nice to see him eat some humble pie. It looked like Rashad was running his mouth in the fight right before he got nailed by Lyoto for the win, and that just served him right.

• Such an awesome year of KO’s! The top 3 are debatable. I would’ve given Hendo the top one just for the simple fact that as he flew to the ground to almost collapse The Counts jaw on itself everyone in my house was already on there feet thinking that it was ALREADY a picture perfect KO….and I know its late but what abount Njouki(sorry I just got off work and am exhausted) and his Kick of Horodeckis face from behind….it was late in the year but DAMN!

• submit662266 says:

I would put all of these on my own top 10 list, but different order of course.

1 Machida KO Evans: for the LHW belt, Evans had never been stopped, and it was incredible.
    2 Bowles KO Torres: again, for the belt, Torres looked unstoppable, and Bowles still laid him out.
    3.Fedor over Rogers: Rogers is much tougher and bigger than Arlovski, Rogers had him in big
    trouble, and that hook by Fedor was BRUTAL!!
    The rest all belong in the top 10, in no particular order. Very tempting to put A.Silva over Forrest, but with so many good ones, someone had to be left out.

• ndizzle says:

i love hendo’s ko just cause the pic they made after with bisbing with the brit fit and wig getting knocked off

• Niv says:

Fedor’s ko of Arlovski was epic! Randy Couture himself said after that fight “Well that’s the first time I’ve ever seen a 245lb man get ko’d, do a 180 degree turn mid air, and fall on his face” I think that says it all, it’s not amazing that Fedor ko’d him, it’s how it happened.

I actually like this list, all of the ko’s were worthy of a place here so nothing to really complain about I guess.