Diaz vs. Zaromskis & Cyborg vs. Coenen set for Strikeforce: Miami

strikeforcecrestA pair of Strikeforce title bouts were announced over the weekend for the promotion’s upcoming January 30 card, which will be taking place on January 30 from Sunrise, Florida.

Nick Diaz will be facing off with Marius Zaromskis for the Strikeforce welterweight crown, while Cris Cyborg and Marloes Coenen will duke it out for the 145 pound female title.

The January date will mark Diaz’ first return to action since June when he finished Scott Smith with a rear-naked choke, while Zaromskis will be making his Strikeforce debut fresh off of his DREAM welterweight Grand Prix championship.

Cyborg will be making her first title defense since putting a beating on Gina Carano in August, while Coenen recently stopped Roxanne Modafferi with a first round armbar in November.

• fanoftna33 says:

I wonder why SF just dropped Jay Herion from the title shot he was to recive when joining SF? Still a great looking fight Diaz vs Marius. Also looking forward to seeing Cyborg vs Connen.

• tybo1972 says:

In my humble opinion I really believe that Nick Diaz is the only ww that has the ability to actually beat GSP. He has been counted out so many times and I know some of those decision losses could’ve been wins. He’ll mop up everybody else in SF. I’d love to see him slap a triangle on Kos or Shields. I’m glad that he’s taking his drug tests because I love watching him fight. That’s just imo.

• edub says:

Gonna be a great exciting fight. I really wish Diaz wasn’t fightint at 170 though.

• ndizzle says:

diaz has been doing the boxing lately in his matches,let see if he does it in this fight.

cyborg vs coenen im calling the upset coenen wins

bobby lashley is rumored to face shane del rosario

walker and lawler is on this im very exited for this card

• Nick Havok says:

edub: I’m a little surprised they didnt put together Zaromskis vs Hornbuckle for Dream vs Sengoku.

Hornbuckle just signed with Bellator…Inside MMA ran the news on last weeks episode.

But holy moly…Diaz vs. Zaromskis is going to be amazing! That is a dream fight in my opinion. I have no idea what’s going to happen in that one.

I guess we will see just how hard of a strike Nick can really take…because make no mistake, Marius WILL hit him. Guaranteed.

Can’t wait for this slugfest!

• Jstew3785 says:

What an awesome fight that will be. Any time Diaz is fighting, I’m watching guaranteed.

• Nick Havok says:

ndizzle: bobby lashley is rumored to face shane del rosario

WOW!

I would love to see that one!

Just like the old saying…somebody’s O has got to go!

I would think Lawal would win that one too, but as evident in his last fight….you can never count Shane Del Rosario out. He can take a lickin and keep on tickin.

Damn I love Strikeforce!

• Rich S. says:

Diaz will ALWAYS box for as long as he can..
    I always think it’s so damn dangerous, and he could win so much easier by just going for a takedown..
    But, he always shocks me, and he always gets the knockout.. And even more amazing, it’s with these slap punches.. None of his shots ever look hard, but his opponents end up crumbling..

He’ll probably get beat up on the feet here, but he could very well take a knockout victory.. Who knows..
    If it hits the ground there’s no question..

The only thing that worries me, is sometimes he’s not ON..
    Sometimes he doesn’t perform to the ability we know he can..
    Just look at his bouts with Noons, or Aina, for instance..
    Looking back, he could easily finish both of those guys.. But, he had some serious problems in those fights…

It seems like his head is finally screwed on tight now, though, seeing as how he’s coming off 5 straight finishes..

• Vogairian says:

Isn’t Nick Diaz the guy who’s completley unreliable and actually screwed the organization over just about 4 months ago? People don’t learn lessons when you reward them for doing bad things.

Also, What happened to Jay Hieron’s opportunity? Everyone was spazzing over Dan Henderson not getting his shot, but Hieron actually signed on with Strikeforce and turned down the UFC on the basis of getting a title shot and fighting Diaz.

• Bullylover says:

Diaz all the way. Hopefully heiron will get his shot with diaz after diaz wins this one. The guy does deserve it especially after he turned down the ufc to have a chance to fight for a title.

• Makington says:

Hieron might deserve it, but Diaz/Zaromskis will be twice as good of a fight. I predict and extremely bloody Diaz winning a great fight.

• BigDave says:

Heres hoping zaromskis head kicks this pot smoking jackass Diaz’s head off.

• submit662266 says:

I really hope Diaz can pull this together and win a title. He is LONG over-due, through complete fault of his own.

I also hope he does well during the dope test. Maybe SF could be the first major MMA organization to hold an event in Amsterdam. . .and we could finally see Nick in the cage again.

• Nick Havok says:

Rece Rock: Hey did anybody notice Cyborg got dolled up for the showtime SF show… she was in the audience and look somewhat reminisant of a female… props to her. now all we need is to get some estrogen in her system and we should be good to go. And yes I know she can kick my ass.

Speaking of Cyborg…Inside MMA reported that she is considering an offer to pose in playboy.

…let the jokes fly.

Why is this card still have so many TBA fighters??? SF is killing themselves by doing this and honestly who buys tix not knowing who they are seeing?? And furthermore if your an up and coming fighter like lashely with a brand name why would you want to find out on three weeks notice whom your fighting? the guy can ruin his career by not being prepared and loosing to a so called can or stepping stone due to under preperation – just pointless to me

• fanoftna33 says:

If Cyborg poses I would buy that magazine, and hopefully they dont airbrush the crap out of her pics. She did look different with dark hair, but not bad at all.
    And to Rece Rock a lot of fighters know who they are facing well before we do we just have to wait until the rumors are let go but fighters generally find out long before we do.