B.J. Penn’s Coach suspects Georges St. Pierre of steroid use

If B.J. Penn and his camp have their way, the lightweight champion will be defending his crown two more times in 2010 before once again moving up to the welterweight division according to the Penn’s longtime trainer Rudy Valentino during a recent conversation with Josh Gross on SI.com’s Gross Pointe Blank.

“I think in 2010 he might fight a couple of more lightweight matches, and then move up,” said Valentino. “That’s what he was talking about.”

Apparently two decisive defeats at the hands the UFC’s current 170 pound champion have done little to defuse Penn’s desire to give the Canadian Athlete of the Year a beating he’ll never forget. According to Valentino, B.J.’s moving up has absolutely nothing to do with title aspirations, and everything to do with revenge, explaining, “It’s Georges St. Pierre, if he has the title or not.

“I think it’s because of his so-called steroid use, and all of that, that B.J. felt it was an unfair fight. Just the whole thing about not being fair, and fighting fair, you know. That’s what B.J. wants to get off of his back; The greasing stuff, the steroids, and all of that.

“We heard from certain people that used to train with him, telling us what he did in the past. That’s why, we had a heads up on that. When you cycle steroids, you’re not going to to test positive. You can cycle it right up to the time of the fight and not test positive on that. That’s what we suspected he did in this fight.”

• Nick Havok says:

Why can’t BJ just accept the fact the he got his ass kicked?

• fanoftna33 says:

They keep bringing up this stuff, they heard from a friend of a friend that somebody did something. GSP is in a position where a lot of people are jealous of his success and will say things behind closed doors to bring him down and unfortunatly B J is falling for a lot of the hearsay.

• Angry Mike says:

If they don’t have some proof, like a source who’s willing to go public, this kind of stuff makes BJ look like a whiner. If I were him, I’d tell my entourage to stfu.

• Scott H. says:

I hereby announce the “Dragging Someones Name Through the Mud with no Evidence” 2009 award winner to be Rudy Valentino. Shame on him.

• Niv says:

Why can’t BJ and his corner just shut up after winning in spectacular fashion, instead they have to tarnish themselves every chance they get?

GSP beat BJ twice now fair and square, get over it! If BJ fights GSP again he’ll probably get worked over worse than last time and we’ll hear complaints from BJ again.

I hope a third fight doeshappen, I hope BJ get knocked cold and I hope he just shuts up after that, but I know better than that.

Too bad, great fighter but crappy attitude and zero when it comes to being a sportsman, he doesn’t compare to GSP in any positive aspect as far as I’m concerned.

• Sans_Peur says:

Nick Havok: Why can’t BJ just accept the fact the he got his ass kicked?Because to hear him constantly whining and complaining is just annoying to me and probably the main reason I’m not a fan of his.…and btw BJ, no one other than yourself is interested in Penn-St.Pierre 3. NO ONE!

I hear ‘ya Nick. Moreover, BJ needs to realize that he’s a phenomenal lightweight, and possibly featherweight (now that would open some interesting matches!), but he is absolutely, in no way shape or form, a welter-, middle-, or light heavy-weight. He’s just not. It’s okay, BJ… it really is. You’re a badass at 155 – just be confident in what you can do. We don’t see Ford Motor Company trying to make computers… we shouldn’t see BJ Penn trying to avenge his losses to Lyoto Machida or Georges St. Pierre, either.

• slayer6 says:

wait..didnt BJ make a vide apologizing for saying that GSP was on roids? awesome, now we just gotta wait for his coaches to do the same. how can such a tough human being be such a whiner?

• Unabomberman says:

Ok, who are “certain people that used to train with him”? Those guys are going off the deep end if they are willing to say stuff like that but not back them up. I mean, they are literally pointing fingers and blaming somebody of breaking the freaking law.

Remember Marion Jones? Yep. The exact same thing, just in MMA proportions. That’s what BJ’s guys are saying. I’m not sure if those guys are even aware that they can be freaking sued for SLANDER, at least in the U.S, which can only happen if you prove the guy is purposefully lying.

In the scenario of them being sued, they should provide their sources to back up the statement that they made, but if they are making them up they are screwed as that would prove they were acting out of ill will to harm someone else’s career and reputation.

Of course it all would hang on whether or not GSP were to have the massive balls and the will to sue anybody, as that is serious bussiness.

Doesn’t ANYBODY explain these kinds of things to these guys?

• keyboardwarrior says:

While I highly doubt he is on steroids because of the testing policy, it is possible he is on HGH. Personally, I think a lot of guys are on the HGH since it isn’t detectable in urine testing, can only be detected in blood tests.

• Kuch says:

I’d sue Team Penn for slander.

• Crane says:

What an idiot. You know, in the build up to the Sanchez fight, BJ actually sounded like an adult some time. I thought he’s finally grown up, and sounded almost likable.

And now back to this crap. Face it BJ, if you hadn’t poked GSP in the eye during round one of your first fight, YOU WOULDN’T HAVE WON A SINGLE ROUND AGAINST HIM.

And talk about looking past your next fights. How do you think BJ’s next two opponents will take it, knowing that BJ thinks they’re just a preamble to GSP 3?

If BJ beats GSP, he can defend the title a few times and then move up to heavyweight and fight Brock. It makes about as much sense.

If BJ would just stfu and concentrate on fighting in his natural weight class, not only will people like him more, but he may actually be thought of as one of the best ever. If he keeps up with this crap, he will go done as some who greatness eluded because he couldn’t accept his own limitations. Out.

I like BJ… but honestly whether it’s him or his camp the madness has to stop… just let it go man. If there is even a hint of any truth to grease gate or the roids just let it come out on it’s own… because you are a making yourself look like a chump instead of a champ man… your at the top of your weight class be happy and leave well enough alone.

• omg ..this F’n blows. If GSP used steroids then he wouldn’t be able to make 170. His camp is retarded on this. I would love to see them fight again. BJ didn’t look like BJ in that last fight. I think it would be different if there were to be another fight but, to accuse a athlete of steroids without some kind of up front proof is wrong wrong wrong. That alone it a great reason for BJ to get beat up. GSP is still really really really good And strong. Stronger than BJ could hope to get a 170.

BJ’s new training coach has gone to his head. Stop it BJ . stop it stop it stop it.

• Vogairian says:

Doesn’t this nearly border on being slander at this point?

• GassedOut says:

Heh. I’m thinking BJ is trying to anger Georges and his camp to goad them into a fight. Hopefully the only fight over this one will be in court over the slander that this is without proof. FightFan313 is quite correct. If GSP were using steroids, he wouldn’t be able to make weight. The man walks around about 191 normally. And where is the “roid rage?” has anyone ever seen George EVER go off on anyone? (Well, okay there was that bit with Matt Hughes, and we saw how corny that looked.) Come on BJ. You got owned. It happens. Get over yourself and tell your camp to stfd/stfu.

• JTfromCharlotte says:

I wonder what BJ’s excuse will be once GSP kicks his ass a 3rd time…

• king mah mah says:

GSP is definitely juicing! BJ would kick his ass anytime without those roids! If GSP wasn’t juicing he would never have won a single fight! LOL I want atleast 100 thumbs down bitches!

• danw84 says:

Wow, haha I think this is the first time I’ve gone through the comments and agreed with every single person in here. There’s simply nothing else to be said, other than just reiterating “BJ, just shut up and let it go.”

• king mah mah says:

@danw84- I’m glad you agree with me, I knew you’d see it my way. LOL

• king mah mah says:

I guess anyone could be WW champion when they walk into the octogon covered from head to toe in vasoline with a needle sticking out of their ass! LMAO!

• I knew a kid in high school who was always cut up, not as cut as GSP, but sill super cut. He didnt play sports or watch his diet or anything. The kid was just built. GSP is ripped, but he isn’t huge. He doesn’t seem to take time of inbetween fights too much like most fighters do, he works with a great S&C coach who used compound lifts and REAL exercises, not that suff BJ does. GSPs physique is impressive, but he also works harder than 99% of the pro fighters out there. He may or may not use performance enhancing drugs but to say that he does based on his appearance is pretty short sighted. Now, im not sure if BJ thinks that, but a lot of people do and its pretty stupid IMO.

• Big Man on Campus says:

Just finished watching the Penn-Sanchez fight today (little late, but what the heck), and I was starting to like Penn a little more (though regardless of what he or his camp say about GSP, you still have to respect his skills). After all of the hoopla that got raised after he accused GSP of greasing, maybe he will have to resort to having his mother testify that GSP is on ‘roids (purely because she is such a fan of the sport and not because of the fact that she is his mother).

Long story short, wish that he’d get over it and STFU about it……..it’s over and done with. I really have no interest in watching GSP stomp another hole in Penn.

• jasonah says:

B.J penn just cant admit he got out muscled.As we have seen in past George is one of those guy’s who is in Fighting shape all the time.As he say’s,” he is always in shape”.Just look at Randy back when he first cut to 205 back in the day.That guy was just shredded. and there has never been one accusation about Randy juicing.B.j works out and is in good shape now day’s ,but there are fighters with a whole different level of comitment to being a athlete.It sounds like if you are in better shape than B.J you must be Juicing.And granted there are alot of Fighters that do Cycle Roids and who are all jacked up on H.G.H. And it is not hard to figure out who they are. Flat out, B.J has some issues.If he goes to challenge Georges again,I see the same result’s again. Some Pepole classify the Defention of Insanity as “Doing the same thing over And over again Expecting Different results”.I think him and Diego should go at it again. Because they both fall into that catagorey!

• roshambo says:

What does BJ’s mom have to say about this? Maybe she will chase GSP down and get some urine and blood samples from him to help her son out. Seriously this crap is getting so old. All of this whining after a loss and the whole go to bjpenn dot com because ‘m not going to talk even though fans have paid good money to see the fights is why I can’t stand this guy. I can’t wait to see BJ quit fighting so I don’t have to listen to his crap anymore.

• retrofitting123 says:

give bj a 12 week cycle,have them fight again -the result would probably be the same

• MMA-LOGIC says:

1) steroids are used in MMA by guys who don’t get caught.
    2) all those that say GSP didn’t grease. He did they just couldn’t say it was done on purpose. They were warned, fighters had said it before, they caught him with it on him, they had to wipe it off. These are facts. There is a difference between him doing it and them proving that it was an intentional thing that is all.
    I don’t know if GSP was on steroids but this is not that surprising to me because I think most or at least a lot of them do it.
    Sherk, Belfort, Sylvia, Barnett, Randleman are just a few that have been caught. They were doing it for a longer period than what they got caught for wouldn’t you say?. I know people will only hear what they want to but don’t be so naive as to think that A LOT of MMA stars don’t dope. It’s like people saying that a UFC fight has never been fixed. Yeah nor a boxing or Kick boxing match. Doctors that have been caught suplying and athletes that have been caught using often say that most do it. Are they all lying?.

• BigDave says:

GSP could beat Penn blindfolded with one arm tied behind his back. I really hate BJ Penn, not just as a fighter but as someone being aloud to breath the same air as me. This punk deserves and will get absolutely no respect from me ever. I wish I could have one round against this bitch and not in an mma fight but with a baseball bat cause I would have no problem with putting his ass out for good. Short of being dead i want nothing but bad things to happen to him.

Oh, Merry xmas and Happy newyear!

P.S. Really needed to vent, spent 6 hours xmas shopping and am about ready to rip someones head off!

• ByronGiant says:

Jealousy is a stinky cologne.

• Porsche930_Pilot says:

Suspects George is using steroids?? . Man just when you think BJ had gotten over his little tantrum after getting his ass kicked by GSP , his thumb goes right back into his mouth and he starts crying again. Sure it says his coach is the one (WHO SUSPECTS) George is using roids but you know he’s just doing it this way I guess because he thinks it shows it to be his coaches saying it and not him please. The spoiled little prodigy will never get over it I guess.

• king mah mah says:

If you were so sure, you wouldn’t be defending him so much. GSP is covered with vasoline! Plus he is using steroids like you wouldn’t believe!!

• king mah mah says:

Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

• king mah mah says:

YES!!! I’m close to the 100 thumbs down! Don’t let me down people!

• Makington says:

Sorry to let you down but I will thumbs up all of your posts without question from now on.

• danw84 says:

I thumbs up his posts without even reading them, I’m THAT confident it’s pure gold in there.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

I suspect B.J. Penn’s coach is smoking too much herb.

• submit662266 says:

BJ does win the drama queen award (and is runner-up to Brock Lesnar for having no class).

BJ, just because you tried a conditioning and training regimen two times does not make you an expert of athletic capabilities. Georges has taken his training seriously for YEARS. If a person puts the time in, the results will come. If you had put in the necessary time in a weight room or by running 4-5 times a week, you could have beaten St. Pierre.

BJ, you really need a publicity rep (or any person) who will tell you to shut up when you’re about to humiliate yourself.

• mu_shin says:

• Crane says:

GassedOut: Heh.I’m thinking BJ is trying to anger Georges and his camp to goad them into a fight.Hopefully the only fight over this one will be in court over the slander that this is without proof.FightFan313 is quite correct.If GSP were using steroids, he wouldn’t be able to make weight.The man walks around about 191 normally.And where is the “roid rage?”has anyone ever seen George EVER go off on anyone?(Well, okay there was that bit with Matt Hughes, and we saw how corny that looked.)Come on BJ.You got owned.It happens.Get over yourself and tell your camp to stfd/stfu.

Well said. The idea that they’re trying to goad GSP into a rematch crossed my mind as well. Maybe BJ should think about joining the WWE…

Nice to see that most people see BJ’s bullshit for what it is. Hey BJ, a friend of a friend told me that you sacrifice virgins and have butt sex with goats to get ready for a fight.

• danw84 says:

GSP is obviously juicing since BJ can’t beat him.

So that means BJ is CLEARLY juicing since nobody can beat him at 155. That cheating prick.

It’s science. I’m right.

• mu_shin: While there have been very rare cases of illicit chemists getting ahead of the testing protocols and producing steroids that were undetectable, as was the case with Marian Jones mentioned above, the vast majority of athletes who seek the advantage of steroids are not nearly so sophisticated. The list of MMA fighers who have been caught using steroids is actually pretty extensive, including Sean Sherk, Tim Sylvia, Chris Leben, Josh Barnett (repeatedly) and even Royce Gracie. The drugs most often associated with the physical demands of MMA are long acting steroids like nandrolone, boldenone, and stanozolol, none of which could be cycled “right up to the fight” as indicated by Rudy Valentino in the article above, without being easily detected. While I would not be naive enough to suggest that there is no performance enhancing drug abuse in professional MMA, to malign a superior athlete and dominant champion like George St. Pierre with unsupported malicious accusations, bereft of any type of verifiable proof is simply unfounded, and obviously motivated by professional jealousy of the rankest nature. I guess the people around BJ Penn believe that if their man can’t beat GSP fair and square in the cage, they can besmirch St. Pierre’s credibility with baseless slander, attempting to explain away two blemishes on BJ’s record. Better to concentrate on defending the lightweight belt, training and fighting like a champion, and leaving the libelous pandering to lawyers…

Man, I cannot Thumbs Up this enough. mu_shin FTMFW.

• moosebaby02 says:

mu_shin

Amen
    well put

I doubt Gatorade would have anything to do with GSP if he was a steriod user and I’m sure for there insurance purposes and to cover there own ass they proabbly have there sponsored atheles perform a drug test as part of the contract… not a fact just my thoughts on it.

• PsYc0tIkDrEaM says:

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH dasfjkl;sdafjkl;sdfajkl;asdfjkl;asdfjkl;sdfajkl;sdfajkl;asdfjkl;fjsdkl;afjwernymjf,u897mu8,h iomumv g4myuc9w5ydfmobhoeukag034,k

first grease now steroids?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!? it’s been nearly 11 months and now more has be strucked upon AHHHH!!!!!

• Dufresne says:

I may be one of the few, but it doesn’t seem like BJ is the one saying this. BJ has never been one to hold his tongue, so I have to think that this might be his trainer’s thoughts and not his own.

Either way, it’s classless. BJ got beat, not once, twice.

The first fight seemed to me like BJ lost due to conditioning, but the second looked much more like a plain old beatdown. The first fight BJ won the standup battle the first round and then gassed partway into the 2nd round. The second fight BJ didn’t win anything, anywhere, anytime. I’m not just saying that to detract from BJ, I’m a huge fan of BJ, he’s always been one of my favorites attitude and all, but he got beat. Vaseline or not, he was getting beatdown everywhere that fight went.

If I was BJ I would grab Valentino by the shirt and tell him to sit down and shut up. If he wants to be a fighter or a promoter he shouldn’t be a coach, period.

• Porsche930_Pilot says:

king mah mah: GSP SUCKS!!! If he didn’t juice, he’d never be where he’s at today. Just face it! Your HERO is a fraud!! He knows it, and all his fans know it! I guess Canadian fighters think they can fool American fighters! NOT!!!!

You taking your cue from your hero by doing the whining thing?. Or is it that you just crave the attention such ridiculous posts bring?. Try growing up a bit man.

• danw84 says:

I know it’s hard to detect sarcasm online porsche, but you might wanna try a bit harder.

• Makington says:

mah mah seems to have a thumbs down fetish porsche, now you know. He constantly ends most statements in blaaaaaaaaaahhh, but every once in a while he will catch us all completely off guard with a well thought out comment.

Not so far in this article, but he has. I know he’s enjoying this.

• king mah mah says:

@Porsche930_Pilot- Come on man! Did you honestly believe that I think GSP sucks? Obviously he does not.

Now the issue of him juicing is really pointless to discuss until someone has proof. Everyone can speculate all they want one way or the other, but the fact is no one knows wheather he is or isn’t taking steroids. Atleast not any of us online people anyway.

P.S.- Don’t take EVERY post you read seriously. Have a little fun with the posts sometimes. Isn’t that why you’re taking spare time to be on this sight to begin with? To maybe….. god forbid, enjoy yourself?

• king mah mah says:

@Makington-LOL, not really a fetish. More of a short term goal.

• king mah mah says:

site-sp

• Porsche930_Pilot says:

OK well now I know, thanks Makington. So I guess just the very last sentence applies.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Please explain which of these are not facts.
    1)Bj said he was warned about GSP greasing.
    2)The authorities were warned.
    3)Chuck Lidell screamed from the crowd “he is greasing” during the fight.
    4)They had to wipe GSP down because of grease during the fight.
    5)Other fighters had raised the point before and afterwards.
    6)The corner man was caught doing it on camera.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

“and obviously motivated by professional jealousy of the rankest nature”
    I’m sorry but this may not be the case.

“We heard from certain people that used to train with him, telling us what he did in the past. That’s why, we had a heads up on that.”

He was wrong for saying it without GSP being caught but if what he says about people not being able to be caught and hearing it from guys that trained with him what can he do?.

and…

“While there have been very rare cases” of people getting caught not doing it! how rare do we know it is if they have never been caught.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Let me put it this way. Think of it as DVDs or PC games and copy protection. Companies invest more money than a sporting regulation ever could in protecting their material from being copied don’t they? But as soon as a copy protection comes out somebody has beaten it somewhere. The guys that have ann interest in beating the tests are always ahead and that is why they sometimes they are now taking samples and are testing them years down the track. trust me when I say that a lot of people will be accused and caught in a few years when the testing catches up with the guys that cheat today. I don’t know if GSP does them but if guys that have trained with him said that he did do them.

• danw84 says:

MMA-LOGIC: Please explain which of these are not facts.
    1)Bj said he was warned about GSP greasing.
    2)The authorities were warned.
    3)Chuck Lidell screamed from the crowd “he is greasing” during the fight.
    4)They had to wipe GSP down because of grease during the fight.
    5)Other fighters had raised the point before and afterwards.
    6)The corner man was caught doing it on camera.If you think this all adds up to BJ just Bullshiting you are a fool that only hears what he wants to hear. They just could not prove he did it on purpose. GSP is not squeaky clean and neither is MMA or any other sport.

Can you show sources for points 1, 2, 3 and 5? Because, not to call you out as making things up, but until I see sources also agreeing with those 4 points, in all honesty YOU are the only person to tell me those things. Are they true? Maybe. Who told me? Some guy online I have no idea of his validity. This is also assuming I agree with you on 4 and 6, which to agree implies that I think he WAS greasing. He got wiped down, as do all fighters. His corner was on camera rubbing him, but to say “caught doing it” which is talking about greasing him up is getting a little bit imaginative.

So, can you show some sources here please?

Otherwise… well it just seems like you’re a BJ Penn fan explaining a loss in the way that BJ Penn and his crew does. Or a GSP hater (which I am myself) looking for a way to bring him down.

• danw84 says:

Also, you asked “please explain which of these aren’t facts.”

Unfortunately, when you claim something is fact, the burden of proof is on YOU to show that these are facts. To say something as a fact and then claim it’s up to other people to disprove is not how things work.

• danw84 says:

One final comment, nothing screams more “I’m not sue if i’m actually right” than saying “trust me” without explaining in any way why anyone should trust you.

• danw84 says:

I don’t mean to be calling you out or anything MMA-Logic, I just had a few issues with a few of your posts. Nothing against you dude!

• sexy-yama says:

wow this still going on, people shouldnt assume things without sufficient evidence, all this talk about cycles yeah yeah,maybe people are really good at hiding it,maybe bj will become so desperate and juice up 2 since its apparently easy to go through cycles till the day of your fight and not get caught

• sexy-yama says:

also I would like to know the names of theses ppl who trained with him and said he juices, no substance with theses allegations, just chinese whispers, omg this guy is tough ass,omg this guy put on so much muscle Omg he must be juicing! Get a clue although I do admit I could be wrong ..lol but till its proven his juices STFU bitchas!

• sexy-yama says:

MMA-LOGIC: 1) steroids are used in MMA by guys who don’t get caught.

indeed weaksauce, its very easy to speculate but freedom of speech is a great thing even if your speech stinks

• sexy-yama says:

mma logic and mahmah eat poo lol