5 Oz. 2009 MMA Awards: Upset of the Year

thiago koscheckLadies and gentlemen, it’s time! It has been an extraordinary year of ups and down for all of those involved in the rapidly growing world of mixed martial arts, but all things must come to an end, and it’s time for FiveOuncesofPain.com to dish out our official year end awards for the crazy year that was 2009.

We’ll be diving headfirst into a series of fifteen end of the year awards, with a new award being distributed every single day through December 31 with a special two part New Years Eve year-end award extravaganza…. bonanza.

In this edition we have FiveOuncesofPain’s top ten upsets of 2009:

1. Paulo Thiago TKO’s Josh Koscheck during UFC 95 on February 21, 2009.

2. Brian Bowles knocks out Miguel Torres to become the WEC bantamweight champion during WEC 42 on July 9, 2009

3. Brett Rogers knocks out Andrei Arlovski during “Strikeforce: Lawler vs. Shields” on June 6, 2009

4. Scott Smith knocks out Cung Le during “Strikeforce: Evolution” on December 19, 2009

5. Mackens Semerzier submits Wagnney Fabiano with a triangle choke during WEC 43 on October 10, 2009

6. Paul Daley TKO’s Martin Kampmann during UFC 103 on September 19, 2009

7. Joe Warren defeats Kid Yamamoto via split decision during DREAM 9 on May 26, 2009

8. Michihiro Omigawa defeats L.C. Davis via unanimous decision during Sengoku 7 on March 20, 2009

9. Mark Coleman defeats Stephan Bonnar via unanimous decision during UFC 100 on July 11, 2009

10. Mike Kyle defeats Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante via TKO during “Strikeforce: Lawler vs. Shields” on June 6, 2009

• Sans_Peur says:

• fanoftna33 says:

• moosebaby02 says:

with you on that one Fan.
    thought it would be to late for Scott Smith to get on this list. Great that he did. And a good tuff win for him

• qat says:

this award is more of a ‘surprise of the year’, isnt it?
    imho the biggest waves were sent by the decision machida vs shogun. thats what i call an upset.

• Jstew3785 says:

Sans_Peur: I’d have Rogers knocking out Arlovski as number one, personally… Paulo Thiago knocking out Kos probably would have been second, but running real close to Scott Smith knocking out Cung Le. Otherwise, some good picks – and definitely refreshing to see some of those great Japanese shows on here!

I wouldn’t put Rogers KO’ing Arlovski at number one. Everyone knows Arlovski has a glass chin and if Rogers connected it would be over. I’m surprised it even made the list.

• ndizzle says:

bowles has to be number 1

• Jak says:

I think the first 4 are pretty accurate.

However i think 6-10 aren’t so much. The fighters who lost those fights were severely over hyped. Yamamoto, Kampmann and Cavalcante were being talked about as the top fighters in their division much more prematurely than they should have been.

Yamamoto is like Aoki, because he doesn’t fight the top fighters consistently in his class, he gets very hyped. I’m pretty sure(i could be wrong though) that even Havok called the Warren upset. If put to the test, i think there are quite a few fighters that could beat Kid on any given night.

Cavalcante- he’s another fighter hyped due to who he trains with and not so much what he’s actually accomplished thus far in his career.

Kampmann- After he squeaked by Condit suddenly he was a top 5 WW?

I’m sure this will get blocked by people who disagree with my thought on overhyping though 😉

• Makington says:

• Jstew3785 says:

Makington: ndizzle is right. Bowles not only beating Angel but KOing him was easily the biggest upset to me. Yes, everyone knew he had power in his strikes but was anyone actually expecting Miguel to get dominated the way he did?

Agreed. Before the loss I had Miguel Torres as the #1 PFP fighter in the world. He’d never been KO’d in 38 fights before that so to me that has to be the biggest upset.

• Jstew3785 says:

No thumbs down from me Jak. I’m with you on that one

• Niv says:

Sorry guys but I think AA being ko’d by Rogers is a huge upset. AA has lost very few fights in his career and every one of his ko losses came at the hands of a big puncher, not exactly fair to keep pounding the glass chin card.

Arlovski is capable of beating anybody so I think Rogers is number 1 in my books as well with Scott Smith being number 2 against Cung Le.

• Jstew3785 says:

• Nick Havok says:

I just want to say…

I totally called Joe Warren beating Kid Yamamoto. I said Joe would win the day that fight was announced.

It was one of the few fights of 2009 I actually got right.

• KTru says:

Warren over “Kid” I think should be number 1
    Many believed Yamamoto was the number 2 FW in the world and Warren had 1 fight under his belt.

Other than that the list is pretty spot on, except for Thiago over Kos.
    Sure Kos was and is a top 10 WW, but Thiago was undefeated and his fight with Fitch proved he is no pushover or fluke.

• keyboardwarrior says:

I have to agree with everyone who says Rogers over AA.. before that fight most people just thought Rogers was a can and AA would outlcass him in every aspect.

• Guthookd says:

Those are some good picks but I am stunned that Brown vs. Faber didn’t take number one….or even make the list for that matter.

Not many people thought Brown had it in him. Even the second fight was an upset.

• Guthookd says:

ooops. was that last year? Shit, time flys.

• Rich S. says:

How is Bowles/Torres NOT #1?

Thiago/Kos was a shocker, but let’s point out the shock factors in Bowles Torres:
    -It was a title fight.
    -Torres was thought to be invincible at 135.
    -Bowles was the least experienced guy Torres had fought.

I still don’t think Daley/Kampmann was that much of an upset.. I predicted the outcome, after all.

And how did Brown/Faber not make the list?

• Rich S. says:

Rich S.: And how did Brown/Faber not make the list?

Oh wow.. That WAS last year.. Seems like yesterday..

• Vogairian says:

This should be Bowles over Torres and it’s not even close. Torres was at the time being talked about heavily and shooting up the p4p rankings and he was a champion. Nothing else this year even comes close. I’d also vote for Brown/Faber, but the first fight was in 08.

• MCM says:

Am I the only one that DOESN’T think Smith/Le should be on the list? It’s not like this is Scott Smiths first come from behind victory, in fact, it’s kinda his M.O. Everyone I know, knew that Smith was capable of ending it at anytime with one shot. So it doesn’t seam like much of an “Upset” if it was always a strong possibility.

I actually had Edgar’s dismantling of Sherk as one of the biggest Upsets.

• fanoftna33: #6 shouldnt have even been a upset as everybody knows Daley has great hands and Kampmann does not have the best chin(a good chin but not great).

I agree with this. I agree with the list but not with #6. Daley is a savage on the feet and I am not shocked that he TKOd Kampmann. Had he Triangled Kampmann now that would have been a shock, but not a TKO.

• David Andrest says:

MCM: Am I the only one that DOESN’T think Smith/Le should be on the list?It’s not like this is Scott Smiths first come from behind victory, in fact, it’s kinda his M.O.Everyone I know, knew that Smith was capable of ending it at anytime with one shot.So it doesn’t seam like much of an “Upset” if it was always a strong possibility.I actually had Edgar’s dismantling of Sherk as one of the biggest Upsets.

Exactly!! Scott Smith watched tape of all the other guys to beat Cung, and noticed that they let Cung beat them up until he got tired.

This was nothing Unique………..it’s not like Cung Le hadn’t lost ever as a pro or something………………..er whoops

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Sorry David but all sarcasm aside what makes Le so good. His victory over Shamrock in which it was very close to going Shamrocks way right before he retired hurt (thats right he couldn’t put Frank away in a stand up fight). So I agree with MCM in saying no big upset here just guys overrating a dude that was only ever tested once and came painfully close to failing that test against a guy that is no spring chicken and by no means a stand up monster. I just think hype got the better of people. If you hear that a guy is good often enough it is only human nature to want to agree. I would put this as much of an upset as if Grove beat Cote or a similar type of underdog winning type thing.
    This never losing thing doesn’t mean anything unless it was against quality. I wouldn’t say (for me) that Coleman beating Bonnar was a huge upset either. Since late ’99 Mark has beaten Goes, Fujita, Shogun, Vovcanchyn, Frye and won a Pride GP. He has only lost to guys like Nog, Shogun, Fedor, Crocop etc. people just jump on bandwagons. I guess that is what makes an upset, peoples expectations no matter how misguided.

P.S. When was Carwins win over Gonzaga?. You can’t tell me that was not an upset.

• Niv says:

Jstew3785, “He’s 15-7. Not like he’s only lost one or two fights. 6 of the 7are by KO/TKO. I’m not hating on the guy but the facts are the facts.”

I get what you’re saying but if we look Randy Couture is 17-10 yet is given his proper due and considered one of the sports all time greats.

AA’s losses have all been to big punchers so I have difficulty with accepting he has a glass jaw as a legitimate answer. I prefer to give him his due and respect that he is a world class HW mma artist.

• cocoonofhorror says:

Shogun kicking Machida’s ass should be on there.

• submit662266 says:

I agree with DA and think Scott Smith over Cung Le certainly deserves a spot. Scott Smith’s technical skills are no where near Le’s. Le was owning him throughout that fight. Smith looked slow and irrelevant. Le only needed to hang on for another minute or two ? . . . He was VERY close to winning that fight overwhelmingly, and Scott Smith ripped the rug right out from underneath him.

I think it was one of the best comebacks ever.

• submit662266 says:

I also think Brian Bowles should have had the top spot. It looked like Torres had a tight grip on that belt. I know that there was a #2 ranked fighter, but Torres was the highest ranked at that weight by a mile. The fact that he knocked him out so easily seals the deal.

Also, the Brett Rogers KO over Arlovski was a shocker, but there were 2-3 fights that were bigger upsets.

Wasn’t Mir v. Nog early this year? That should be on this list somewhere.

• hindsightufuk says:

Mackens Semerzier submits Wagnney Fabiano

that was a shocker

• I have to agree that Bowles Vs. Torres should’ve won. Not only did Bowles knock out Miguel, he controlled most of the fight up until Torres hurt him for a split second. Long enough for us all to think Miguel was gonna pounce and finish it up and THEN Bowles drops him, blocks and armbar attempt AND knocks him out cold. One of the best three and a half minute fights ever and a historical upset IMO.

and I too was UPSET about the Machida Vs. Shogun decision.

I don’t see the Smith TKO as an upset… even if he was the underdog it was more for Cung Li’s fame than his skill set… he was kicked by the same 3 kicks a million times and they did little damage and he hung on to see an opening for a barrage of punches…that exposed Cung Li for the one dimenisional fighter that most fans know he is… Come back story yes, upset no… even if it was voted comeback of the year that would be sketchy cause Smith was pushed around the ring with those kicks and every opportunity to finish smith Cung Li slapped him around with those feather like hammer fists… scott was loosing on paper but not really bruised and battered. just my opinion.

• Esawchuk says:

Good upsets. Would I be crazy if I was to include Kimbo beating Alexander?