Ladies and gentlemen, it’s time! It has been an extraordinary year of ups and down for all of those involved in the rapidly growing world of mixed martial arts, but all things must come to an end, and it’s time for FiveOuncesofPain.com to dish out our official year end awards for the crazy year that was 2009.
We’ll be diving headfirst into a series of fifteen end of the year awards, with a new award being distributed every single day through December 31 with a special two part New Years Eve year-end award extravaganza…. bonanza.
In this edition we have FiveOuncesofPain’s top ten upsets of 2009:
1. Paulo Thiago TKO’s Josh Koscheck during UFC 95 on February 21, 2009.
2. Brian Bowles knocks out Miguel Torres to become the WEC bantamweight champion during WEC 42 on July 9, 2009
3. Brett Rogers knocks out Andrei Arlovski during “Strikeforce: Lawler vs. Shields” on June 6, 2009
4. Scott Smith knocks out Cung Le during “Strikeforce: Evolution” on December 19, 2009
5. Mackens Semerzier submits Wagnney Fabiano with a triangle choke during WEC 43 on October 10, 2009
6. Paul Daley TKO’s Martin Kampmann during UFC 103 on September 19, 2009
7. Joe Warren defeats Kid Yamamoto via split decision during DREAM 9 on May 26, 2009
8. Michihiro Omigawa defeats L.C. Davis via unanimous decision during Sengoku 7 on March 20, 2009
9. Mark Coleman defeats Stephan Bonnar via unanimous decision during UFC 100 on July 11, 2009
10. Mike Kyle defeats Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante via TKO during “Strikeforce: Lawler vs. Shields” on June 6, 2009