5 Oz. 2009 MMA Awards: Trash Talker of the Year

frankmirbustedopenLadies and gentlemen, it’s time! It has been an extraordinary year of ups and down for all of those involved in the rapidly growing world of mixed martial arts, but all things must come to an end, and it’s time for FiveOuncesofPain.com to dish out our official year end awards for the crazy year that was 2009.

We’ll be diving headfirst into a series of fifteen end of the year awards, with a new award being distributed every single day through December 31 with a special two part New Years Eve year-end award extravaganza…. bonanza.

In this edition we have FiveOuncesofPain’s top five trash talkers of 2009:

1. Frank Mir: From running his mouth like Jackie Joyner Kersie leading up to his UFC 100 beatdown at the hands of Brock Lesnar, to making fun of the way Cheick Kongo spoke English, to wanting to rip Brock Lesnar’s arm off and retire him while the champion is still recovering from a nasty intestinal infection, Mir showed that he can spew hate with the best of them. It seems like he has toned it down since his recent first round submission victory over Kongo, along with an upcoming interim title bout with Shane Carwin expected for the near future, but Mir had an absolutely epic year as far as talking trash goes in 2009.

“I’ve never hated a human being as much as I hate [Brock]. It’s never driven me to the points of insanity that it has driven me to now. I want to rip Cheick Kongo’s arm off and make a statement, and it’s just because I want to scare the s*** out of Brock. I want him to know that he will never be the same human being after I get out of that cage with him. I will detrimentally affect his physical life forever and scar him on a mental level.” – Frank Mir, 2009

2. Brock Lesnar: Lesnar’s illness in the end of 2009 caused a huge drop off in the trash talk department for the UFC’s heavyweight champion, but Brock made up for it by leaps and bounds with some of the most potent trash talk the game has ever seen following his second round demolition of Frank Mir at UFC 100

“Frank Mir had a horseshoe up his ass. I told him that a year ago. I pulled that son of a bitch out and I beat him over the head with it, whooo!! ….. I’m gonna go home tonight, and I’m gonna drink a Coors Lite.. that’s a Coors Lite because Bud Lite won’t pay me nothing. I’m gonna sit down with my friends and family, and hell, I might even get on top of my wife tonight.” – Brock Lesnar, 2009

3. Dan Hardy: Hardy came out in 2009 with both his fists and mouth swinging for the fences in bouts with Marcus Davis and Mike Swick, earning himself a welterweight title shot and establishing himself as one of the sport’s most talented talkers in the business in the process.

“The thing I’ve realized about Josh Koscheck is that he’s kind of like a turd that won’t flush away. He kind of wins a fight, and you think he’s doing alright. Then he loses a fight and you think he’s done, and then he wins a fight. He’s always kind of floating around and he never really does anything.” – Dan Hardy, 2009

4. Josh Koscheck: From some of the best smack talk in a UFC Countdown show this year leading into his welterweight beatdown of Frank Trigg, Kos went on to throw his own teammate Mike Swick under the bus by claiming the title challenger had never fought anyone worth a lick to get his shot.

“U haters can suck my d***! Haha love this Twitter sh*t talking. A faker never gets up and doesn’t fight after that a eye poker……. But what the f*ck do I care!!! 140k in fight of the night and tapout of the night!! so keep hate’n.” – Josh Koscheck (Twitter), 2009

5. Dana White: The UFC President has long been one of the best talkers in the game, and 2009 was far from an exception. White pulled no punches this year while addressing topics such as Strikeforce, Fedor Emelianenko, Karo Parisyan, and so much more.

“If I wanted Dan Henderson, I could’ve signed him. For the money he wanted, he’s not worth it. He’s not a big pay-per-view star, he’s not a big attraction, and he’s not going to sell out arenas. He wants way too much and he doesn’t bring anything to the table. Here’s the reality: If I wanted him, he’d be in the UFC. It’s not like, ‘F***, Strikeforce beat me out.’ He’s been a free agent for a long time. If I wanted him, I would have signed him by now.” – Dana White, 2009

• fanoftna33 says:

Good list, the only other guy I can think of that would go great on this list would be Matt Sera, now he can trash talk with the best of them we all remember his comments towards GSP leading up to thier second fight.

• Kuch says:

I’m surprised we didn’t see either Rashad or Rampage on this list given their antics on TUF 10.

Shields/Shamrock stands out in my mind too.

• sexy-yama says:

I agree with Frank he always give s me a good laugh, his confidence rubs some ppl the wrong way but i find his comments refreshing plus his been backing up his trashtalk, But the DANhardy commment about KOS is GOLD The thing I’ve realized about Josh Koscheck is that he’s kind of like a turd that won’t flush away. LOL

• sexy-yama says:

Rashard and Rampage just keep talking back and forth like a kids argument each one trying to outdo the other and get the last word in,thats more bitchwhinging than trash talking but they had to resort to that because they didnt want to throw down and maybe loose a payday or wateva

• GassedOut says:

I thought Bisping should get an honourable mention for the pre-Dan Henderson fight whiny-ass bitch routine he pulled on his season of TUF. Speaking as a former Bisping fan.

• edub says:

“Oh you gonna treat me like a sucker”… “Yea Ima treat you like a sucker”… “Why don’t you come lick on me then?!!”

I would put Rampage on this list for the ending to this argument alone. I fell out of my chair I laughed so hard.

• JabCrossHook says:

I’m surprised that Dana isn’t number one, he talks the most trash out of anybody. The only thing that would get him to shut his mouth is a crisp shot to the chin to put him to sleep. Give him some memories (or lack of) from his boxing days.

• moosebaby02 says:

ya dub i was at my brothers house when i watched episode. we were dying. I knew page was setting him up for something and then BAMM. Funny shit

• Makington says:

I didn’t even think of Dana when I was considering the worst trash talker lol. He really should be number 1 though. Good list however, and good picks.

I like how Dan Hardy trash talks though. Like when Frank talks about Brock, he trashes him because he hates him, but when Dan trashes anyone, he does it with humour and you get the sense that although he comes off like a dick, he’s only doing it to put people off their gameplan. It worked with Marcus Davis. He got Marcus so mad at him so that he wouldn’t fight his fight, and it worked for Hardy.

• Bad Monkey says:

Not even an honorable mention for Frank Shamrock?? Especially after listening to him downplay Cung Le’s abilities last weekend while he was commentating Le’s fight with Scott Smith. Shamrock actually said, ‘Cung Le’s kicks don’t hurt’. WTF???????? How’d the one hurt that broke your arm, Frankie?

• Angry Mike says:

Rashad and Rampage on TUF get top honors from me. It was juvenile (“Oh yeah? Yeah!”) and repetitive and went on way too long. And it’s trash talk since Rampage backed out to make a movie

• Nick Havok says:

I can’t believe Dana made the list.

I mean wow, we are going to recognize the president of the biggest MMA organization with an award because he constantly talks shit about the fighters who sacrifice and bleed for his wealth.

That is fucking amazing…

• Dana White = Juvenal with back..Lots of Back. Mir is the Joker.. UFC 107pre fight hype was priceless. Brock is awesome lol. that guy is so genuine in his fustration. .”Frank Mir has a horse shoe up his ass”..LMAO every time.

Hardy was classic with the “marcus davis, he’s not even Irish” . marcus was pissed. LMAO
    Josh Koscheck is crazy. That guy loves to fight. A bit dirty in his last bout but still worth watching.

Its been a fun year.

• Bullylover says:

Well, well, well, i knew either frank mir or dan hardy would be in the top spot. Those two talk a lot of shit well ithese are definately the top 5 shit talkers in the game. You hit this one on the spot cory.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Thats Dana trying to save face for losing Hendo to Strikeforce not trash talking. But what he says is true $$$ are the bottom line, I just hope somebody builds a MMA org based around talent rather than $$$$ because Dana just openly said he wont.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Regarding Brock-
    I believe the proper term used was ,’Sumbitch’,was it not?

• That’s correct…Dr. Stoppage and he forgot “see yall later!” as they end. I wanna know how Bj didnt get on here with “Georges St. Pierre is a great fighter, but he’s a quitter…….I was there when Matt Serra was beating his ass and he looked to the side and tapped the mat…..if you tap to strikes you’re a little bitch, that’s what I think.”

And then then he received the worst ass whooping EVER!

And I think Hardy earned his spot, but come on Cory? He called Marcus a plastic Paddy! And Kos started it :)

I didn’t like Mir in the past but as of recently I like the new version of Frank Mir… He’s a man on a mission and he’s focused… I think he does talk alot of smack but that’s his thing… even if he was selling Toyotas’ he would be flipping out about how Honda is a subpar competitor…