5 Oz. 2009 MMA Awards: Female Fighter of the Year

cristiane-cyborgLadies and gentlemen, it’s time! It has been an extraordinary year of ups and down for all of those involved in the rapidly growing world of mixed martial arts, but all things must come to an end, and it’s time for FiveOuncesofPain.com to dish out our official year end awards for the crazy year that was 2009.

We’ll be diving headfirst into a series of fifteen end of the year awards, with a new award being distributed every single day through December 31 with a special two part New Years Eve year-end award extravaganza…. bonanza.

In this edition we have FiveOuncesofPain’s top five female fighters of 2009:

1. Cris Cyborg Santos – She is the winner of the biggest fight on the biggest stage. Santo’s has rattled off 8 straight vicotries on her way to the first ever STRIKEFORCE women’s 145 belt. On sheer exposure for female MMA captured alone, Santo’s gets the nod as Womens fighter of the year.

2. Megumi Fujii – at 19-0 with 3 wins in 2009, Fujii is possibly the best women’s fighter you have never heard of. You fight this 115 lb monster and chances are you will lose an arm with 11 victories of her 19 coming via armbar.

3. Miku Matsumoto – Adding 3 top notch victories to her record in 2009, and now riding a 12 fight win streak. Deep’s “Supernova” appears all but unstoppable. With an impressive win over Lisa Ward ( the last woman to defeat her) Matsumoto had one of the best years in women’s MMA.

4. Sarah Kaufmann – With wins over Meisha Tate, Shayna Baszler, and Sara Schneider, Kaufmann remains unbeaten at 10-0 and certainly qualifies as a top female fighter of 2009. Quality wins over tough competition are a premium for the ladies, and no one can argue Kaufmann had a big year.

5. Tara Larosa – It’s hard to make a list, any list, regarding women’s MMA and not mention Tara Larosa. The sometimes outspoken, and always dangerous Larosa had another big year, adding 3 wins to her overall record of 18-1.

• BigDave says:

Great list I agree totally with it, and am sooooo glad to see you not put Carano on here as she is still a long way from being a top level fighter. Nothing against Carano she is young and very athletic and with the proper training and will to improve she could be a threat in a year or so.

• Jak says:

Sorry, but Gina Carano is the female fighter of the year.

And no, it has nothing to do with her fighting abilities.

Is that an politically incorrect perspective? probably, but it’s the only one i got.

• JabCrossHook says:

Please refrain from this type of post. It is unfounded, and pretty close to fighter bashing. – 5oz’s Staff

• BennyProfane says:

Good list, but it seems like you excluded Carano to be incendiary.

• sexy-yama says:

MEGA! MEGU! MEG! MEGU! shes one badass 115er

• sexy-yama says:

i hope cyborg turns down the playboy offer, i cant say i wont take a squiz if she does ROFL you know you will 2

• 27jride says:

Wasn’t Gina the “face of women’s MMA” at the start of the year? One loss to the arguably top female fighter in the world and the love is completely gone? I’m biased I guess because she’s such a sweet girl AND always exciting to watch.

• 27jride says:

What the hell is a squiz?

• David Andrest says:

Gina is 0-1 in 2009.

and yeah yeah we get it. she may have lost in the cage but she’s a winner in your Hearts……
    We look forward to Gina’s return in 2010.

• JabCrossHook says:

Unfounded? Look at the size of her lats, traps, and delts and tell me it aint roiding. It isn’t fighter bashing its common sense.

• 27jride says:

Okay okay, I thought she fought another fight earlier in the year- tough to remember exactly when Elite went belly up. You can’t really blame all us Gina lovers can you?

• Curly Biddles says:

Sara Kaufmann has the hands and strength to finish Cyborg and the rest (regardless of the current weight discrepancy). Best hands in the sport, no doubt.

• Makington says:

I think Kerry Vera made a pretty good splash when she beat up Kim Couture, and I believe she also beat some other female fighter earlier in the year. Marloes Coenen did pretty well in her fight last Strikeforce.

Although I also have Gina Carano number 1 in my heart (lmao Mr. Andrest) I agree she shouldn’t be on this list, atleast not this year. Being stuck in contract limbo for half the year and losing her only fight for the other half isn’t exactly impressive. We all knew Cyborg would end up number 1, which makes sense.

• king mah mah says:

“It puts the lotion in the basket” LOL

• cocoonofhorror says:

😆
    “it rubs the lotion on its skin
    or else it gets the hose again.”

• king mah mah says:

@cocoonofhorror- LMFAO!

• fraz says:

BigDave: Great list I agree totally with it, and am sooooo glad to see you not put Carano on here…

I would have been happy to have seen Carano on here just to see an attractive photo.

I’m not a fan of women’s MMA in the least. I respect these women – but I find quality of fights to be such a HUGE drop from the men’s that I have zero interest. To me, it’s the same the WNBA or womens’ boxing.
    Gina is the only think that makes me half-way interested. If Kyra Gracie enters the picture, that will be reason number 2 for me to care.

• BigDave says:

I have seen some female MMA fights that where insane. I dare anyone on here talkin shit to go to the local MMA gym and take on there top female fighter then tell me they aren’t skilled. It’s not that the skill level drops off it is just that female MMA hasn’t reached the level of fighters yet that the men have. In a few years there will be far more female fighters out there and the women fighting now will be the pioneers of female MMA.

Sure, I’m a guy and like to look at beautiful women but when I watch a fight I want to see a fight I don’t care that she looked good in a Magazine when she gets into the cage and looks like she has never fought before by doing stupid things like giving up the full mount or turning her back to her opponent. So I will continue to enjoy looking at Carano in magazines but until she improves her skill set in the cage she won’t be in my top 5 list.

• You guys see her at Strikeforce last night? Looks like she got a makeover. Smart move on her part. Cant wait to see her fight again. Would love to see her vs Erin Toughill.

In my opinion if Gina Carano was in “…the biggest fight on the biggest stage” then shouldn’t she be honarable mention at least? Many non fans wouldn’t even know women competed in the sport on a pro level if it wasn’t for the coverage she received… Honarable mention would have been a nice pat on the back for a positive ambassador of the sport whom will improve as time goes on but was an essential part of the fans and media even being interested in female fighters let alone making it even worthwhile putting a list like this together?!… How many non mma fans tuned in to watch her fight on prime time and became fans of the sport? She’s def. not best female fighter 2009… But she is the most influentual and the most important for the female fighter’s growth in this sport, and that deserves a least a nod.