Frank Shamrock: Jake Shields has no personality, he’s boring and he killed our CBS ratings

Never one known to sit on his hands when asked about the topics that matter, Frank Shamrock appears to be making a late run at the annual 5 Oz. Award for Trash Talker of the Year, as he finally took some time out to address Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields‘ recent claims that the MMA pioneer may be ducking him during a recent conversation with our friends over at Fight! Magazine.

“I don’t like Jake,” said Shamrock matter-of-factly. “I’ve got nothing for him. He’ll never fight me, he’ll never make that kind of money, and I’ll never give him a shot, because I don’t like him.

“I don’t want to fight Jake Shields because he has no personality, he’s a boring fighter, and when he got on to CBS, and it was his chance to be a star, he leg humped [Jason “Mayhem” Miller] all night long, and killed our ratings. That’s why I don’t want to fight Jake Shields”

• Makington says:

Frank used to be one of my favourites, but that was like 5 years ago when he was good. I like how he says what he means but he would have no chance against Jake Shields. He called it well how Jake would beat him by leg hump decision, but he would beat him, and it kind of sounds like he knows it.

Now I really don’t like the way Jake fights. The only people I dislike more is Jon Fitch, Ricardo Arona, and Paulo Filho, but I can’t deny its effectiveness, which I feel confident would beat Frank at this point in his career. If Frank fought him a few years ago when he was actually good then it’d be worth watching but I’d rather watch Hendo beat up Shields convincingly than Shamrock lose boringly.

• danw84 says:

Well said Makington. While I do agree with Frank that Shields was a bit boring, I know I didn’t change the channel during it.

As kind of a side note, the thing I don’t like though is when that sort of fight is a title fight. 25 minutes of not much happening is a bit disappointing when we could maybe be getting some prelims. But I guess I shouldn’t really complain about that.

• Unabomberman says:

It’s kind of a glorious dickish move, in a way. He’s basically saying “I dislike YOU so much I’m wlling to get heat just so that YOU don’t get PAID.”

Interesting.

• Rich S. says:

I still don’t see why everyone thinks Jake Shields is so boring, and they hate his fighting style..

I mean, I’m no fan of the guy, I don’t really like him.. But that’s just because he’s beaten some of my favorite fighters..

Do you guys realize that his decision victory over Mayhem was his first Decision in 3 years?

Before that, not a SINGLE ONE of his last 8 bouts reached the 10 minute mark..

Yeah, of course he fought a safe fight against Miller.. Because, WE ALL KNOW, if he hadn’t, he would’ve lost.. Sometimes when two guys at the same skill level are fighting, the fight reaches a decision.. Sheesh..

And that 8-fight streak of finishes includes 5 straight wins over the likes of Renato Verissimo, Mike Pyle, Nick Thompson, Paul Daley, and Robbie Lawler.. Did you really find any of those fights boring?

I mean, I can understand being mad at guys like Sean Sherk or Yushin Okami for their fight styles, but a single decision victory in recent history should not cause all these feelings towards Shields..

• MMA-LOGIC says:

He is trying to promote a Sheilds V Shamrock fight. Just like Tito he is so obvious that ignoring him is the best thing to do. Having said that how about Sakuraba v Frank on a card. You could promote it with Saku knocking down Ken and beating the Gracies. Oh the UFC owns that footage now. But at least you could mention it.

• savage henry says:

At least he admits that he’s got nothin for him. Smart man.

• Makington says:

Before that win streak he also had a skid where 11 out of 12 (I believe, something like that anyways) went to the judges. He is a decision machine when he can’t submit you. When was the last time you saw the guy do a stand up brawl? I really don’t care that his fights go to decisions a lot, just that they’re always boring. Clay Guida and Tyson Griffin are two fighters who I hold in extremely high regard for their extremely fast paced entertaining fights, even though they almost always hit up the judges at the end.

For another perspective, his training partner/best friend Nick Diaz is also as dislikable. It’s hard to find a guy who trash talks more and who chirps more opponents during a fight, and yet, he’s got to be one of the most exciting fighters ever in MMA. He is just as good as Jake on the ground but he loves to stand up and bang even if he is getting beaten down because he is a true fighter. Say what you want about him as a person, even I think he’s a dick, but he is a warrior. It’s like if he doesn’t get cut and bleed during a fight, then that’s because the fight hasn’t started yet. He could probably hold onto you and take you down to submit you or sit on you but he is just as comfortable throwing bombs with you. This is the same guy who stood toe to toe with Robbie Lawler who Shields had no part of standing and ended up KOing him big time.

I’ll give him a bit of credit, since he’s obviously great at jiu-jitsu, and he does have some exciting fights, but it’s never him that makes them exciting. His fight with Paul Daley was fun to watch because Paul was throwing bomb after bomb and doing a good brawl, but everytime he got close to Jake he would drop and pull guard……literally all fight long until he caught him in the armbar.

Pretty much every opponent Jake has ever beat never has a cut or mark on them.

• Dufresne says:

Very well said Makington.

I agree with almost everything except for the fact that he’s great at Jiu Jitsu. If he was really that good at it, would he have been in a “saved by the bell” scenario against Mayhem? Shields has an effective fighting style, but if you’re not at least decent on the ground you’re going to the judges card for a decision. It’s boring as hell, but he’s getting paid for results more than he’s getting paid for excitement.

• Makington says:

Well he is one of the few people who have been given a black belt in jiu-jitsu under Cesar Gracie but you’re right with Mayhem. I was pretty surprised when he got caught with a pretty amateur RNC which was the same move he tried to work on Jason like 35 times before in the fight. 10 more seconds and it would have been over.

I actually don’t mind decisions at all, even prefer them if it’s an exciting fight. When Liddell and Wanderlei finally had their showdown at UFC 79 it was one of the biggest fights in the UFC’s history. If either fighter had ended it, it would have been an absolute shame in what ended up being one of the greatest fights.

• ndizzle says:

frank just likes to pick on the cesar gracie group,he beats cesar then gets beat up by nick now its shields.shields may not be flashy,but he makes you tap except for last fight and he don’t shy away from tough fights and i respect that

• Frank is completely right. Jakes shields is boring..a class act but boring. His fights are boring to watch…really tactical Jiu Jitsu but boring to watch. Mayhem got chewed up by a young GSP. Jakes shields wouldn’t last 3 fights in the UFC, Kos, Alves, Fitch..probably Hughes. This match with Hendo is going to prove that.
    Get yer Shields a ready Jake <<<<HA!!!

• Nick Havok says:

Thumbs up for Frank Shamrock.

Leg humped Miller…killed ratings…

Couldn’t have said any better myself.

• atreezy says:

“and I’ll never give him a shot, because I don’t like him”

Does Frank still think he’s the best ever or something? Why would he need to give Jake a shot? It’s more like, Frank would be lucky if Jake gave HIM a shot.

He just talks about it as if Jake should be dying to fight him, when Frank isn’t really even relevant anymore.

• Man, Frank is awlasy runnin off at the mouth lol. I agree atreezy, at this point Shields is a head of Shamrock. I could care less about Shields vs Shamrock, what I want to see is Shields vs Jacarae!