Dan Henderson vs. Jake Shields in the works for April on CBS

Jake ShieldsA reported match up between Dan Henderson and middleweight champion Jake Shields could be in the works for a Strikeforce event in April.

According to fiveknuckles.com, Henderson is entering the end stages of negotiations, reportedly from sources close to the organization. Although bout agreements have not been signed, the fight is in the process of being finalized.

Newly acquired Henderson jumped ship from the UFC after leaving the premier organization riding a three fight win streak. The former PRIDE champion most recently dispatched Michael Bisping at UFC 100 to close out his contract with the organization. After a much publicized contract dispute, it was announced last month that Strikeforce has become his new home.

Jake Shields is coming off a decision win over Jason Miller at Strikeforce: Fedor vs Rodgers, held on November 7th. The Gracie Jiu-Jitsu fighter has produced a 13 fight win streak, with the streak extending over five years.

If the bout becomes official, it will be Shields second title defense since acquiring the middleweight belt against Robbie Lawler in June.

The April event is also rumored to showcase Fedor Emelianenko and slated to be Strikforce’s second appearance on CBS.

• Nick Havok says:

No way Shields wins.

Dan is going to own him on all levels.

But I’m still excited to see this fight!

• moosebaby02 says:

how funny will it be if shields beats hendo???? dont see it happening at all but i will laugh my ass off if it did

• keyboardwarrior says:

I don’t see any way Shields can win. No way he can take him down, no way he can beat him standing either.

• Jstew3785 says:

• Jess says:

I do not see any middleweights giving Dan much of a challenge in Strikeforce. As far as Shields retaining his middleweight title after this fight with Dan, I do not see that happening. If this fight does happen Shields is going to lose by KO. Jake Shields is not in the same league as Dan, in my opinion.
    Dan fighting at 205lb, now there are a few interesting fights for him, but I would still put Dan at the very top of this division too. Time will tell.

• Nick Havok says:

Smart move by Strikefore to get some gold around Dan’s waist.

I wonder what the odds will be going into this fight?

• keyboardwarrior says:

Jstew3785: Wasn’t the bout between Lawler and Shields a catch weight fight? I’m pretty sure that the fight with Mayhem was for the vacant title.

yeah I think they fought at 182 if I am not mistaken

• keyboardwarrior says:

Nick Havok: Smart move by Strikefore to get some gold around Dan’s waist.I wonder what the odds will be going into this fight?

if the odds are anything close to even or if Dan is better than a -150 I will lay down quite a bit, but I think it will probably be -300

• Unabomberman says:

Hopefully the fight will deliver.

• Nick Havok says:

Unabomberman: I don’t think Dan winning is as clear cut. Shields can beat him, and it wouldn’t be *that* surprising. Unlikely yes, but not casue for surprise. Shields is no beginner, and his grappling is second to none.Were Shields to win, it would be a validating moment for Strikeforce; and were Dan to win, it would be a good welcome to a fantastic, if not the most marketable, athlete.I’d have preferred to match Dan against Nick, though; but I guess Strikeforce is trying to deal properly with the eventual possibility of Shields whooping everyone but Nick, and then not fighting him. In that regard it’s good that they’re matching him with Dan, but who knows.Hopefully the fight will deliver.

I don’t want to fight Dan Henderson! Are you crazy!

J/K :)

I see what you are saying though about Jake Shields. It seems like everyone is always writing him off, yet the man continues to reel off win after win after win.

Just like his fight with Lawler. I bet everyone thought Robbie would crush him…but look what happened. Robbie tapped out and Jake barely got touched.

And let’s not forget that Jake already has a win over the likes of Jon Fitch too.

So yeah, I will concede that Shields has a chance to beat Dan…I just don’t think it’s very likely. Honestly, I will be shocked if it happens.

And if Dan does win the belt from Jake, I see Diaz as the first contender to face off against him. For one, Nick is good enough and deserving (unless he loses from now till then) and would also make a great ‘revenge’ storyline seeing as he is from Jake’s camp.

I personally like where Strikeforce is going with this. Lots of awesome possibilities.

• JOEgun says:

WOAH! Dan Henderson becomes Strikeforce middle weight champion in his debut with the promotion!! And everyone gets to witness it on CBS!! NOW EVERYONE WILL KNOW WHO DAN HENDERSON IS!! …(of course I’m talkin about what undoubtably is going to happen, lol).

• ndizzle says:

• keyboardwarrior says:

ndizzle: wonder how shields adjust with the weight problem,has he gained more weight to cut weight this time.

yeah that is another strike against him.. he is more suited for 170 and Dan can fight at 205, aside from the proverbial “punchers chance” I don’t see how Shields can take this. I call Dan via a bisping round 1

• nate says:

hope jake enjoyed his time with the belt.

• Rich S. says:

Shields is finally going to take his first loss in 5 years..
    It’s been a long time coming, he’s made a hell of a run out of it..

• edub says:

Dan Henderson isnt Robbie Lawler. Lawler has always been succeptible to submissions early and late in fights when he gasses a bit. Henderson has been subbed by Anderson after getting cracked repeatedly and the Nogueira’s. I havent bet on fighting in a while, but whatever odds are I will bet on Hendo for this fight. Shields has no chance.
    Hendo by KO

• Makington says:

I don’t think Shields will give Henderson the chance to KO him. I say this with almost absolute certainty, Shields will not stand with Hendo for even one second of the fight and try to trade blows. If he does, then he most certainly will get KO’d, and he has to know that. He isn’t going out there to lose, and his best chance is him hugging Dan and laying on him for 5 rounds. I would love for Dan to catch him on the way in, but I don’t think this fight will be exactly fireworks. It sucks cause Dan always brings a good fight, but Jake won’t give it to him. Jake will be holding onto Dan and trying to drag him down the entire fight.

Basically, I would have much rather seen Hendo vs Mousasi, but atleast Hendo will get a MW belt that he wanted so bad. Just not the UFC MW belt.

• Rich S. says:

Just looking over Shields’ record, I can’t see a single time where he fought someone that brings anywhere near the amount of brute force Hendo does.. Hendo has more strength in his punches and takedowns than most HEAVYWEIGHTS do.. Shields isn’t going to take Hendo down, he certainly isn’t going to win on the feet, and Hendo has some of the best submission defense I’ve ever seen (despite his sub losses), so he shouldn’t win off his back..

• king mah mah says:

Yeah Hendo wins this fight easily. On the ground, standing…… doesn’t matter. Hendo wins easily. And I really don’t think Dan is going to allow Jake to just lay on him for 5 rounds. I’m saying Dan by KO/TKO early.

• king mah mah says:

Jake might be in a coma for awhile!

• Makington says:

Oh, I’m not saying Jake will lay on him for 5 rounds, absolutely not the case.

But he’s gonna try…

• king mah mah says:

Copy that Makington. Yeah he will for sure try, then get KTFO!

• manny says:

This would be an awesome card and difficult for the ufc to beat. Way to go Strikeforce!!!!

Hendo vs Shields -MW Championship- Hendo by KO
    Fedor Vs- TBA – Fedor Wins
    Mousasi vs- TBS- Mousasi wins (and will fight b/c its in his contract that he will fight on the same card Fedor fights in.)
    Maybe Carano vs TBA- (she should be reaady by april)

Cant wait!

• Vogairian says:

• Vogairian says:

• keyboardwarrior says:

Vogairian: Also, where’s all of this “He’s gonna ktfo Shields” talk coming from? I like Hendo, but he has three knockouts in his last fifteen or so fights.

I think Shields will want to take him down, won’t be able to so the fight will be mainly stand up. Dan has that big overhand right, Jake not too proficient on the feet. 44% of Dan’s wins have been by KO.

• OMNIpotus says:

I have 500 absolutely reel Ebux that says this fight never happens.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Hendo should be fighting Silva for the “undisputed” in my opinion but Silva says he has no…desire!? to fight him again. Hendo in my opinion 1 of the 2 the best MWs there has ever been and for Silva to say he has no desire to fight him just says he is afraid to. Hendo is ranked 2 in the world (in the good polls) and should be, he has wins over the likes of Big Nog, Babalu, Goes, Wanderlei, Misaki, Bisping, Franklin, Phalhares and then you say I have no desire to fight him again. WTF. Anyway I think Hendo should win but Sheilds is no push over and I think could win but really shouldn’t, if ya know what I mean.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

“I Like the idea of the fight. But it’s a poor business move on Strikeforce’s end. What will it look like for Strikeforce when a guy who couldn’t last two rounds with the UFC’s MW champ before getting choked out comes in and rolls over their current champ?”

Vog!. Who won the first rd in the Hendo Silva fight? Silva has lost to lowly ranked MWs, Penn to Pulver and GSP to Serra (in about 20 secs), Lesnar is 4-1and lost to Mir within the first half of the first rd, so what is your point. Does this make the UFC look bad? Not in your eyes I bet. How about the fact that Silva doesn’t want to fight 2 of the biggest threats to his crown (Hendo, Belfort)?. Do you think first or does it just spew out.

• neijia says:

Hendo has too much experience and should win. I predict Cung Le gets a title shot soon afterwards. Hendo will be a better barometer (using mma math) on where Le really stands in the overall middleweight picture. These two guys are getting a bit too old for many more bouts though. If they can help Strikeforce gain some momentum that’ll be good. Also, I think the event is on Showtime this time, not free on CBS. :(

• tybo1972 says:

Ut Oh… Jake is biting off more than he can chew here. Hendo is better at everything that Shields is good at plus he has a stand up game. Shields has to know he can’t out wrestle him so we might see him try to stand with him and if so it’ll be nighty night for him. I say KO in the 2nd Bisping style.

• H3ro says:

Boring fight…Anderson Silva would whip both of them anytime, anyplace.

• Vogairian says:

MMA-LOGIC: Do you think first or does it just spew out.

I find this quote to be ironic considering the post it followed. If you think that having a guy who couldn’t earn a shot in the UFC coming in and beating yout current champion with no build up is a good business move then you sir are an amazing person. They didn’t do it with Fedor who is one of the top 3 fighters in the world, why do it with Dan Henderson.