Vancouver expected to sanction MMA tomorrow; UFC possible for June or July

It looks as if a major wall standing in the way of the evolution of mixed martial arts’ growth in Canada is set to crumble to the ground tomorrow as FiveOuncesofPain.com has recently learned through a source extremely close to the situation that the Vancouver City Council is expected to approve a two-year trial sanctioning of the sport during a council meeting set for 9:30 am Vancouver time tomorrow morning.

With an estimated population of 2,116,581, Vancouver ranks as the third largest populated metropolitan area in all of Canada behind Toronto and Montreal. The UFC has held two shows in Montreal in the past, but have yet to host an event in either Vancouver or Toronto.

On the top of the docket currently listed for tomorrow morning’s Vancouver City Council meeting is “Mixed Martial Arts Update”. The first of six topics set to be addressed during the meeting set for 9:30 am on December 17 from the Vancouver City Hall.

A portion of the Vancouver City Council recently had the opportunity to witness first-hand that mixed martial arts is a far cry from the brutal blood sport it can be misinterpreted as during a sold out amateur rules MMA event titled “Honour Combat Championships” that took place from the Edgewater Casino on November 27. Among those in attendance were none other than Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, along with UFC middleweight Denis Kang and former UFC light heavyweight Bill Mahood.

The show was a huge success in more ways than one as several City Council members had front row vantage points for the action, and they liked what they saw. FiveOuncesofPain has confirmed through a reliable source that the council members were “blown away by the production value, how entertaining the show was, and how well behaved the fans were”. Apparently some of the council members were not previously aware that a fighter was permitted to tap out, or even that they wore gloves.

The council members in attendance spoke to the media that night and told everyone that they were totally on board for the UFC to come to Vancouver in June or July.

5 Oz. has also been able to learn that the Vancouver City Council had a private meeting to discuss the regulation of mixed martial arts just yesterday, and apparently recommended to give Vancouver a two year trial.

The official ruling is expected to come down tomorrow morning during the council meeting set for 9:30 am, and many from the local mixed martial arts community along with representatives from the UFC will be in attendance.

While nothing is set in stone as of this writing, if the reports we have recently received are accurate, you can get ready to score a big win for Canadian MMA and MMA in general tomorrow.

5 Oz. has additionally been informed that the UFC has been throwing around some big names in regards to the promotion’s first possible show in the province. Most notably a certain Canadian local by the name of Georges St. Pierre.

Stay tuned to 5 Oz. as we promise to keep you updated on this news, including the official announcement of the council’s vote on the sanctioning of MMA in Vancouver tomorrow.

• Niv says:

Well I’ve been expecting this for some time now, I can’t wait to get my hands on some tickets for the event when it comes to town.

My only concern as a Vancouverite is that we have a tendency to ruin great events with the enormous population of idiots that live here.

Ask anyone about the Monster Truck events here, we were the only venue in North America where it looked like they would cancel their shows because of the out of control crowds. (Trust me, I never worked at BC Place, but I’ve worked in a capacity where we used to deal with these things, totally crazy stuff).

Here’s to keeping my fingers crossed.

• Makington says:

As a Canadian this is great, but as an Ontario native I am pretty jealous.

I know it’s only a matter of time until it’s legal here, and eventually everywhere. If the UFC came to Toronto it would be absolutely ridiculous for making money. Toronto has one of the highest sport fan ratios ever. Where else could you have a hockey team that consistently disappoints yet has the highest fan base by a mile? Only Toronto.

• Guthookd says:

That’s great news. It doesn’t affect me personally, but I’m happy for the Canadian fans.

It is amazing that the people in charge of sanctioning are not required to learn about the sport for which they are developing (or denying) regulations. They didn’t know a fighter was allowed to tap out….didn’t even know they wore gloves? Man, that is the very definition of ignorance. I’m glad they got a first hand eye-opener and enjoyed the show. Way to go HCC!!

• danw84 says:

Totally agreed Niv. The idiots from Maple Ridge and Chilliwack, etc. that come out to things downtown ruin it for everyone. A bunch of drunken idiots. Luckily, UFC tickets aren’t exactly the same price range as monster trucks, so hopefully they’ll stay home.

Otherwise, I can’t wait for this. I drove down to Portland for UFC 102, and I’d love to see another one, especially here.

• GassedOut says:

Makington: Where else could you have a hockey team that consistently disappoints yet has the highest fan base by a mile? Only Toronto.

Right on, Brother. And their fanbase extensd to other cities that have semi-successful hockey teams. Case in point, I live in Ottawa, and am wearing my Leafs jersey today. Of course I didn’t grow up around here…

The guy that is in charge of the Ontario Athletic Commission (or whatever they call it) is a boxing fan, and thinks MMA is a barbaric NHB version of fighting. What scares me is that he doesn’t seem to WANT to learn. This isn’t human cock fighting or Roman Gladiator blood sports. More people that play football get hurt than in MMA. (Short term…long term studies need more time to develop.) I don’t see much hope of legalizing MMA in Ontario until he’s gone, and I think he’s going to be there a while…

• moosebaby02 says:

Makington
    me bleeding blue and white and after last nights defense blunder dont metion the leafs again. Please their killing me
    And im jealous too. but it would make for a great road trip. HMMMMMMm road trip ehh??????

• Niv says:

danw84, I think you are right when it comes to the price of these tickets being able to keep the majority of idiots away.

It should be a great event!

• danw84 says:

I’m excited. To be honest I expected the idiots to show up to the Edgewater event and ruin the possibility of a future UFC for the rest of us. Pretty nice surprise to see they didn’t, or if they did, they didn’t act like a bunch of animals.

Apparently they voted for a 2 year trial today so we should be good for June!

• Niv says:

danw84, yeah there were some very positive stories out of that announcement, apparently representatives from the Federal Government were there as well and they endorsed the sanctioning of mma. This bodes well for those in Ontario as well, I was also pleased to see the interview with one of the local policy makers that stated the UFC was the most professional outfit they have ever dealt with.

If we can only get Dana White to pay closer attention to those types of comments the UFC will have no problem going wherever they want.