Reed Harris just says no to Donald Cerrone at 145, has big plans for “Cowboy” at 155

donald cerroneIn the days prior to Donald Cerrone‘s upcoming battle with Ed Ratcliff during Saturday evening’s WEC 45 card, the black cowboy hat fitted brawler has made his intentions to cut down to 145 pounds following the bout well known.

That’s if he was to have things his way. However, according to WEC General Manager Reed Harris, the WEC isn’t Burger King, and you don’t always get to have it your way.

“I believe Donald has his hands full at 155, and I’ve got some plans for him at 155, so we’re going to have to have a long discussion about that,” said Harris during a recent media call to promote WEC 45.

When Donald took the opportunity to ask Harris if it would be alright if he dropped down to 145 pounds following the bout with Ratcliff, the WEC General Manager was as clear as he could possibly be, stating, “No. That was a no for you guys that didn’t get that.”

When Cerrone was further asked if he still had plans of dropping down to featherweight following Reed’s comments, it seemed as if his mind had been made up for him.

“(Laughs) I think you heard it right there,” said Cerrone in reference to the WEC head honcho’s statement.

So it looks like that’s it then. Cerrone will not be dropping down to 145 pounds any time in the near future as Reed Harris and the WEC have big plans in store for the “Cowboy” in the months to come.

• Dufresne says:

That’s actually refreshing. I’m excited to see what these “big plans” are, hopefully they include a rematch with Ben Henderson.

• Nick Havok says:

I don’t know if I agree with this.

I think a fighter should have the right to fight at whatever weight he or she feels most comfortable at…that is unless they signed a contract to fight at a certain weight.

I don’t know what is in Cerrone’s contract…so i can’t comment on it for sure.

But if it’s not in the contract I fully believe Donald should be allowed to fight at whatever weight he wants.

If It’s in the contract…then the Cerrone needs to honor that. And although he can request a move, the promoter has the final say.

• Guthookd says:

I was looking forward to seeing him cut that last 10 lbs. He is a shredded guy as it is…..another 10…..that would be a rough cut, but he’s be one hell of a tall bantamweight.

I wonder what weight he walks at normally.

• Guthookd says:

Is Reed Harris our new Dana White for the WEC? I hope so. He sounds cold as hell.

• rage says:

Guthookd says:
    December 16, 2009 at 7:41 pm

I wonder what weight he walks at normally

isnt he a lightweight?if he cuts that would make him a featherweight right?my mistake if im wrong

• Bullylover says:

I’m happy that cerrone is going to be staying at lightweight. There are still a lot of great fights for him at li that division including rematches with varner and henderson.

• nope says:

Big plans= Not rocking the boat at 145, it’s an exciting division right now. Aldo, Brown, Faber, Manny now. Couple fighters not too far back (Assuncao, Fabiano and dude that just upset him). The way I see it is, Cerrone could most likey run through a bunch of them w/ relative ease and taint the division w/ losses all around, and quite possibly upset Aldo.

More importantly though, is the fact that 155 in WEC revolves around Varner, Cerrone and Henderson. Who else is there worth any salt compared to those 3? Take Cerrone out of the mix and it’s the Ben and Jamie show continously fighting each other til someone, who the UFC doesnt grab first, comes in and developes himself into a contender.

• nope says:

I forgot that they got Horodecki…he will also be in the mix at 155, imo.

• Bullylover says:

Nope”I forgot that they got Horodecki” Damn i forgot that they had hordecki too.It’s been a long time since i last seen him in action.

• Kamakosmo says:

Rage says:

I think what “Guthookd” was saying is that normally fighters walk around at a much heavier weight than they fight at…..so, another 10lbs. for Cerrone to lose may be too much?

• nope says:

lol who’s givin Horodecki the thumbs down at 155 in WEC?

• onebaldegg says:

i am betting they set up a UFC vs WEC lightweight card. this will be to bring the WEC into the PPV realm and allows the fans to find out who these WEC lightweights are. it gives the fans a way to measure these WEC fighters. think about how much attention it would bring to the WEC, if for example, they set up a card with matchups like Cerrone vs Florian, Henderson vs Sanchez, Varner vs Maynard. those would all be great fights. if the WEC manages to win one of the kinds of matchups, it gives the organization big exposure.

• I don’t think that Cerrone believes he will be the world champ at 155. I mean, why would he ask to go down right when he is about to get a shot at the 155lb title. He stands no chance at Jose Aldo…. Mr Jose Aldo to Donald Cerrone.

Stay at 155 Donald .. at least there you have a shot.

Hey does anyone know where to find some really good heated snowmobile gloves. Brand name please thank you.

• shocbomb says:

I really can’t blame Harris for not letting Cerrone drop to 145. The WEC has more then enuff talent at 145 to go around. The problem is there 155 LW devision and keeping legit opponets and contenders in the mix. The WEC’s LW class is already looked at as 2nd rate buy most behind every major org in the U.S and even Japan this would just add more fuel to that fire. I really just wish the WEC would merge there 155 LW devision into the UFC’s and add a 125 Flyweight in there place.

• xtreme_machine says:

WTF man

let the guy fight where he wants he is still going to be a big draw.