Nogueira out of UFC 109, Vera expected to Fight Jones at UFN 21

A scheduled bout between Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Brandon Vera at UFC 109 on Feb. 6 in Las Vegas has been called off due to Injury.

Nogueira re-aggravated an ankle injury and will be unable to train for the fight
Sherdog.com first reported that Nogueira had fractured his ankle, and since the news has been confirmed by multiple sources.
In the hours following the injury report to Nogueira, Vera took to his Twitter account and posted the following.

“just found out I’m firing Jon Bones Jones on March 21st in Denver Colorado. hope u heard it here first!!!! “

Denver Colorado, will play host to UFN 21 which is expected to take place March 31, 2010.
As of this posting there is no word on a potential replacement bout for UFC 109. Stay Tuned to FiveOuncesofPain.com for updates.

• Nick Havok says:

Ok, seriously, WTF is going on with all these injuries? This is getting beyond ridiculous now.

But once again, even though the injury bug bites YET AGAIN, the UFC is able to recover and still put on a badass fight.

Vera vs. Jones should be amazing! I can’t wait to see these guys go toe to toe!

• David Andrest says:

After Jones beats Vera senseless, will they cut him???

• qat says:

yep, vera vs. jones is equally intriguing. will probably headline that fight night.

• moosebaby02 says:

Andrest dont you mean that Vera should have been cut already????
    This should send him pakcing. I bet that they will already have his papers ready for him when he shows up at the hospital

• Nick Havok says:

How the judges gave it Randy is beyond me.

• GassedOut says:

I can see this going either way. If the Bones that beat the tar out of Hammill shows up and the Brandon Vera that fought Randy Shows up, it could be a great scrap!

• moosebaby02 says:

sorry but im going with his track record. Spotlight fights=Crumbling under pressure again

• mmaelite177 says:

This is going to be a great fight. Jones won’t be able to toss Vera around like he did with Hamill. Although Hamill is a good wrestler, both Vera and Bones have a greco background, with Vera probably having the edge.

I think this is going to be a stand up war, and will probably depend on whether or not Vera can time Jones unorthodox striking. This is going to be an awesome free fight though…could easily co-main a PPV card.

• Guy Gaduois says:

Interesting to see how Jones responds to the weirdness and wrongness of the Hamill DQ decision. Leave the analysis at the cage door and continue to fight with ferocity and he’ll do well. Greg Jackson will no doubt have him physically prepared and a great game plan, I’m hoping Jones will have a very short memory regarding the Hamill fight.
    Vera seemed very disappointed with the result against Couture. I believe he believed he won that fight. I don’t believe he caved to the pressure of fighting an icon of the sport. He was composed and methodical – he just couldn’t finish Randy. But neither could Noguiera, and he had Randy in (arguably) more trouble than Vera did. I don’t see the “failure to finish” as a knock on either Vera or Nogueira, but as a testament to Randy’s strength and composure and refusal to quit.
    Vera needs to keep the pressure on and keep swarming – like Jones has done. And Jones needs to make sure he doesn’t lose that swarming intensity and over analyze his fight while fighting.
    This fight has incredible potential for the best display of speed and transitions that we’ll see in 2010.
    I am very excited to see this fight.

• Unabomberman says:

O…kay?

Seriously, where did this come from? Anyways, I like it. If anything, this fight *really* tells us where Vera and Jones really are in the bigger picture. Both have a wrestling base, and both are proficient, lanky strikers.

I for one like this matchup a lot better.

• Nick Havok says:

Guy Gaduois: Interesting to see how Jones responds to the weirdness and wrongness of the Hamill DQ decision.

He is protesting the decision.

Which is complete horsecrap in my opinion and a bad move on Jone’s part. Seriously, just man-up and accept your loss, Jon.

You cheated and you got caught. End of story.

Complaining about it just makes you look like a bitch.

• Jstew3785 says:

This fight is going to be awesome. Bones Jones has an insane reach so he could stand back and pick him apart a little. He’s got a 4in reach advantage on Cheick Kongo, that’s not even right! Vera has the experience but overall they’re pretty much equal as far as wrestling and striking are concerned. I like this fight so much better. Lil Nog needs to move on to top competition.

• Bad Monkey says:

I hope Vera has Strikeforce’s number on speed dial. This is a bad matchup for him, worse than Lil Nog even because he at least had good reach over Nogueira. Plus, Jones is an up and comer so if he whups Vera’s ass, which I think he will, it just looks worse for a veteran like Vera. Should be an exciting fight, but I definitely see Jones taking Brandon out with the quickness.

• moosebaby02 says:

Guy Gaduois that can very well be the case but it wasnt like Randy hid or didnt tell anyone the gameplan for that fight. Vera knew what was going to happen. So he came into the fight with nothing in arsenal to counter anything Randy did??? For me it wasnt his “failure to finish” it was his ability to look really shitty like he does in the spotlight fights imo
    Were is that guy who wanted to win titles in both in the HW and LHW divisions?? Give me that Vera. That’s the Vera I want to see.

• Angry Mike says:

Jones’ destruction of Hamill made a believer out of me. Vera’s a good striker, but I’ve never seen him look as impressive as Jones did in the Hamill fight. As long as he doesn’t succumb to Urijah Faber disease–try something flashy and get caught in the process–Jones wins, and I don’t think he’ll have to go three rounds. It’ll be over by ko or tko before the end of the second round.,

• Makington says:

Nick Havok: For all you Vera haters…the man just went 15 minutes with Randy Couture and didn’t even sustain as much as a scratch.Heck, I personally thought he beat Captain America. I mean in the second when Brandon dropped Randy with the body kick and he turned his back and crumpled to the mat…I thought it was over.And not only did Vera stuff every single one of Randy’s takedown attempts, but even even secured one of his own in the third round.How the judges gave it Randy is beyond me.And yes, I know Jon Jones is the new breed, and an incredibly dangerous fighter…I’m just saying, I wouldn’t completely write Vera off in this fight. He is a game fighter.The stand-up exchanges in this fight should be phenomenal. I personally can’t wait for this. I can easily see either man winning.

I was thinking the exact same thing……in almost the exact same words, go figure. I will pick Jones to win the fight because of how down to earth he is, because I can only pick this fight based on personality. It may be cheap, but I find these fighters to be exact mirrors of eachother. This has easily become my most excited fight right now.

As a side note, what do you think Joe Silva would have done if this were UFC 108 instead of 109? I’m sure he would be scheduling fights up in heaven. Ghandi vs Abe Lincoln?