Dana White: We are ‘absolutely’ looking at UFC co-promotion to get the WEC on Pay-Per-View

wec-logo2.jpg

It has been no secret that the UFC has had big plans for the WEC for some time now. Plans that involve the promotion making it’s way to Pay-Per-View in the near future by any means possible.

Dana recently seemed as determined as ever before about the prospect of the WEC coming to Pay-Per-View in the near future during a recent media call to formally announce the partnership between the UFC and The Versus Network.

“Absolutely,” said White. “Our goal has been to get the WEC on Pay-Per-View this whole time.

“The problem is that the hard part about it is that there are so many dates taken, you know, between us, the WWE and boxing. It’s tough to find dates, or trying to line up fights. It’s a lot more than just throwing something on Pay-Per-View. There’s a lot of work and planning that involved in it, but our goal is to put a WEC fight on Pay-Per-View.”

*Update – While it was previously believed that Dana meant to allow the athletes from the WEC and UFC to compete against one another, further review of the media call reveals that White has no plans of allowing a bout like B.J. Penn vs. Jose Aldo to happen in the near future.

• Nick Havok says:

Boooo!

We want LESS pay per views, Dana. Not more!

This news sucks.

• 27jride says:

I never thought I’d agree with you Nick but here I am! Why the hell would I shell out cash to see minor league fights that I can see on versus for free- I already get every UFC PPV religiously. If they cut the VS schedule I’ll simply not watch WEC and sleep just fine at night…… especially now that I pay only $7 bucks a month for showtime and watch Strikeforce events that, in my opinion, are FAR more interesting than WEC.

• Dufresne says:

Not the news I was hoping for either. I love UFC PPV, but I’m with 27jride here, you take away my free MMA and I’ll go elsewhere for it.

• Yeah, I’m totally fine with Brian Bowles only making a guaranteed $8K and Mike Brown making $15K and a lot of undercard fighters only making $2,000 to show. I’m not at all excited about PPV revenue increasing these fighters’ purses.

I won’t be buying a WEC pay-per-view either.

• 27jride says:

• Dufresne says:

I’m all for them getting payed more, and if PPV helps do that for them, then I’m supportive. What I’m saying is that I’m already shelling out $45 a month for PPV, sometimes $90, and I can’t afford to pay for more.
    If they’re going to put more UFC on Versus to replace some of the WEC cards that they’ve moved to PPV, then I’ll be really happy. But the way it sounds, there’s gonna be more PPV cards, and I simply can’t justify that when I can get SF on Showtime or CBS.

• buryyourduke says:

You guys do know that LOTS of places show these PPV’s for free right? I’ve never bought a PPV in my life and I’ve seen every UFC fight for the last couple of years. If you can’t afford a soda at Buffalo Wild Wings then I guess you have a right to complain…otherwise, just go watch the fight. It’s more fun than watching at home anyways. You might meet a girl or something if you leave your living room every once in a while.

• 27jride says:

AMEN dufresne!

• 27jride: I don’t know whether to like or dislike Sergio’s post because I sense it may be sarcasm but I’m not sure. Call me a dick but I would never think to myself “Mike Brown should be paid more so I’d like to start paying $44.95 to watch him”.

I’ve never said that either but I have thought, “Man, WEC NEVER disappoints, I would glady buy a PPV of theirs to show my gratitude and help support the sport I love.”

You guys act like Dana is sitting in a giant boardroom laughing maniacally as he plans on everyone shelling out $50 a month for a UFC and WEC pay-per-view each. They’re not stupid, they know buy rates would plummet and they would cannibalize their business.

Within the next few years, we’ll likely look at 12-15 UFC/WEC pay-per-views per year (if that) along with a SLEW of free MMA via Spike, Versus, and possibly NBC.

And if you don’t think Coker wants a cut of that good PPV money, I got a bridge to sell ya.

• 27jride says:

buryyourduke: You guys do know that LOTS of places show these PPV’s for free right?I’ve never bought a PPV in my life and I’ve seen every UFC fight for the last couple of years.If you can’t afford a soda at Buffalo Wild Wings then I guess you have a right to complain…otherwise, just go watch the fight.It’s more fun than watching at home anyways.You might meet a girl or something if you leave your living room every once in a while.
    LOL good point man! Unfortunately for me, I’m married and have a baby so I don’t get out much- my stupid wife believes that I shouldn’t be out meeting hot little whores at bars during fights because she likes MMA too and it’s not fair unless I get PPV’s at home. My point was that WEC isn’t high enough on my priority list to pay for it.

• 27jride says:

PLUS in the Schenectady area the fights at bars are far enough away that the cab ride home costs as much as the PPV. DON’T EVEN SAY I SHOULD STAY SOBER ENOUGH TO DRIVE DUDE!!!

• xtreme_machine says:

yes i started the Jose Aldo thing since Penn knocked down Sanchez in the first round

Believe when i say that Jose Aldo WILL beat Penn

• Vogairian says:

It’s amazing. The same people who piss and moan about fighter salaries are people who are crying about ppv’s. What’s even more amazing is more than once I’ve seen people talking about how WEC puts on the best shows, but you talk about having to pay for it and suddenly it isn’t worth it? Like Sergio said, it’s highly unlikely that WEC would put on more than 2-4 ppv’s a year.

• Guthookd says:

Put them on PPV for $20 and I’ll buy them. Put them on PPV for $40 and I will not.

If they’re really going to do this I think they should seperate the weight classes out even more than they have.

155, 145, 135, and a 125 would be nice for the WEC
    170,185,205,265 for the UFC.

Even steven….4 each. Then those WEC PPV cards will have BJ Penn and some other notable figures from the UFC that will add appeal and maybe make the shows worth what they’re going to charge.

• 27jride says:

Vogairian: It’s amazing.The same people who piss and moan about fighter salaries are people who are crying about ppv’s.What’s even more amazing is more than once I’ve seen people talking about how WEC puts on the best shows, but you talk about having to pay for it and suddenly it isn’t worth it?Like Sergio said, it’s highly unlikely that WEC would put on more than 2-4 ppv’s a year.
    When I was sticking up for Frank Mir it was because he’s one of the top fighters in the sport putting on good fights against top opponents. WEC is like AAA baseball and if those guys wanna make the big bucks they will have to fight their way into the big leagues in my opinion. I’ve seen some great fights in WEC and I’ll watch them if it’s free but they’re only barely relevant as far as top tier fighting goes and so, I’m not spending a dime on them. Guess I’m not a hard core fan.

• Guthookd says:

Torrez, Faber, Aldo, Brown…..all barely relevant as far as top tier fighting goes? Really?

I respectfully disagree.

• 27jride: WEC is like AAA baseball and if those guys wanna make the big bucks they will have to fight their way into the big leagues in my opinion. I’ve seen some great fights in WEC and I’ll watch them if it’s free but they’re only barely relevant as far as top tier fighting goes and so, I’m not spending a dime on them. Guess I’m not a hard core fan.

WEC is nothing like AAA baseball. King of the Cage, Cage Rage, Shooto… these are like the AAA of MMA. Fighters who are still developing and not ready for the big leagues.

Fighting at a lower weight class doesn’t mean they’re lesser fighters. WEC has some, if not most, of the top 135 and 145 talent. These fighters can’t fight in what you consider the “big leagues.”

• 3OAM says:

What Dana does with his promotions is his prerogative, but are the names in WEC gonna be worth $44?

I love WEC. Lots of the fights in WEC are more exciting than some of the main events in UFC cards, but people don’t know WEC fighters like they know UFC fighters. The casual, passing fan doesn’t know Jose Aldo from Urijah Faber…so the idea that they’re gonna pay $44 to see Henderson/Varner seems a little unlikely.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like a bad idea.

• 27jride says:

• Let’s be realistic here… I doubt they would price a WEC pay-per-view, at least initially, over $30.

• trunk says:

I think they could sell WEC PPV if they only charge $10 for them and advertise them during TUF or free UFC on spike.

• Guthookd says:

27jride: Guthooked- I meant no disrespect to the Featherweights because they have no other viable option as far as where to fight I guess. You’re right about that. But you have to admit that unless they’re about to move up and fight guys in UFC and SF, the bigger guys aren’t really considered top tier.

Yes, I have to agree with you on that. Varner, Cerone, etc. would be middle of the road fighters in the UFC……proof = Brian Stann, Chael Sonnen…..at least initially.

That is exactly why I think they should do away with repetitive weight classes in the two promotions. Something like that only makes sense if one promotion is a feeder to the other, which apparently is not the goal anymore (or, never was I guess).

So, let’s do this Dana. If you want the WEC to be respected like the UFC then there can be only one Lightweight Champion. Same for the Welterweight….there can be only one real belt.

• Niv says:

Personally I think this is a good argument for the WEC merging with the UFC. The WEC is talent in the lower weight classes and that’s exactly where a lot of exciting match-ups can be made with the Penn vs Aldo as a prime example.

If the WEC merges with the UFC there is also a little more room for a better salary structure as well.

On another note the AAA baseball status of the WEC isn’t entirely fair as they are dealing with weight classes that the UFC doesn’t have today with the exception of lightweight. Guys like Ben Henderson and Jamie Varner aren’t entirely out of their league by stepping in with the UFC LW’s in my opinion.

So in a nutshell you actually wouldn’t be paying any more to see these fighters as they would be on the same fight card most of us pay for anyways, and I do think Mr. Dana has a lot of wiggle room to pay these extra fighters with what they bring in on their ppv earnings.

• gueda says:

that’s the begining of the end.dana doesn’t have no more good idea to promote is organisation. we will have sesond class fighting. it’s with strikeforce and m1 you have to co-promotion that’s it. that would be the best for every one, even for dana and the ufc.

• YABAHWOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

• the WEC top flight fighters should and deserve to headline along with the other co mains and main event if not the main event in some cases. Aldo is worth watching, Cerrone, Faber, Brown and many others.. Brain Bowles, Miguel Torres… Bring back Big Frog Please and many others.

• dpk says:

Seriously, now that UFC is going to be shown on Versus, just merge the two companies into UFC, and add the lower weight classes. They would still need to put on the same number of fights, so just as much free MMA as before, plus the PPVs would get better. UFC 102, 103, 106, 108, 109, 110 could have, or still could use a title fight at the top. It would give UFC more depth to deal with the recent rash or any future cases of injuries going around.

To sum it up, we get just as much free MMA, plus a better value on the PPVs.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Wow Zuffa co-promoting with Zuffa. Is this a co-promotion really? If they said a co-promotion with Dream or Strikeforce I would be excited but this is just a slap in the face.
    Look UFC if you have the best how about showing us by co-promoting with other companies. Overeem v Mir or Fedor v Brock anyone? How about Penn v Aoki Cory? or GSP v Diaz or Cung Le v Belfort or Sakurai v Maynard or Schilt v Kongo or Sheids v Koscheick or Anderson Silva v Mousasi or Werdum v Valasquez or Hansen v Florian or Thomson v Sanchez and on and on. We should demand it happens.
    It is a step in the right direction I suppose but I was so excited when I began to read this “Dana White: We are ‘absolutely’ looking at UFC co-promotion” but he isn’t really looking at co-promoting unless he is getting 100% of the $$$$. He will never really co-promote until he is forced. Sad but true.

• Nick Havok says:

Well said, MMA-LOGIC.

I thought the exact same thing when I read this article. But I didn’t want to even bring it up because people would probably mis-interpet it as blatant Dana-bashing on my part.

But I am glad you said it. Thanks.

• David Andrest says:

Perhaps Dana and the person who asked him the question shoujld have used the term “cross promotion” as it would have been more appropriate.

• moosebaby02 says:

wow alot of people on here seems to know how to make more money then Zuffa…..any of you hiring??? I want to be rich too………

• king mah mah says:

I’m like a few you here. I normally buy EVERY SINGLE UFC event religiously. I’m just not interested in investing more money into my cable bill that my wife already bitches about.

• keyboardwarrior says:

Instead of finding ways to get WEC onto PPV, I wish Dana would put more effort into getting UFC on a major network. Doesn’t he realize that the business model of relying on PPV is what has caused the downfall of boxing? MMA needs to expand it’s reach and audience, the way to do that is major events with big names on free network tv. An expanded audience would bring in new revenue streams, more money from advertisements and merchandise sales etc. For the long term health of UFC the reliance on PPV buys needs to be lessened.