Dana White: UFC events on Versus will be similar to “Fight Night” cards

danawhiteWith the recent news of the UFC broadcasting two of their events live on Versus sometime in 2010, the first question on the mind of the casual fan was: What kind of UFC card am I going to get on Versus in 2010?

Well according to UFC President Dana White during a recent media call to promote the announcement, the UFC has no plans of watering down the Versus events in the slightest.

While they will be similar to the “Fight Night” cards that normally air on Spike TV, Dana promises big things in the promotion’s debut on Versus.

“This will be a Fight Night,” said White. “It will be like a “Fight Night” card.

“We have some big plans, but the first card we put on Versus, it’s going to be a good one.”

• Nick Havok says:

This is pretty much what I expected would be on Versus.

And not to hate (because this is great news!)…but Fight Night cards are the epitome of ‘watered down’. Because we will never see a champion or even a top contender fight on a Fight Night card. No, because the UFC saves it’s top stars to sell on PPVs…which makes sense.

I mean it’s no secret that the UFC usually showcases their lesser talents on these FN cards. That is why they are the freebies! That’s why when they said they won’t be watered down I just laughed to myself.

So spin it how you must, Dana…but your not fooling anyone.

Fight Night cards are B level no matter which way you cut them.

• Nick Havok says:

Sidenote…I wonder if the UFC will get some different announcers for these UFC shows on Versus?

A little diversity would definitely be welcomed by this fan for sure.

And you would think the UFC would like to develop a few more announcers other than Rogan and Goldberg anyway. You would think they would be looking ahead to the future and looking at the bigger picture.

Because in reality, are you gonna have the same 2 guys announce every UFC fight over the next 5 years? How about 10 years?

Ughhh.

I just personally think with only two announcers announcing everything all the time, it makes the promotion look small-time. Like they don’t have the resources or creativitey to employ another announce team.

Just mix it up a little bit. That’s all I’m asking for…some variety.

I mean they have this new series of shows coming on…so let get some new voices too!

• Nick Havok says:

I like how everyone is giving my first comment thumbs down…LOL, I expected as much.

But what’s even funnier is how no one can argue with what I said…because you all know it’s true!

I mean come on guys, you really can’t argue a card that main events Diaz vs. Guillard isn’t watered down by UFC standards.

Can you?

• Dufresne says:

To be honest it is what I expected as well. And you’re right Nick (can’t believe I said that), FN cards are watered down from a “Big Name” basis, but not always from a talent basis.
    I always look forward to FN’s because there are almost always some amazing battles between up and comers or guys trying to get back to the big show.

• 27jride says:

Nick, I agree (and gave the thumbs up) with your first comment and I agree partially with the second. While I think Rogan & Goldie are just fine, I loved when Randy called the fights with them. I also think that they definitely should be looking to the future but I’d hardly say that having the same seasoned-veteran announcers makes them seem small time. I’d rather listen to them for another 100 fights than those jackasses on the Strikeforce broadcast- THEY make SF seem small time!

• 27jride says:

I can’t believe I just gave Dufresne the thumbs up……what the hell is going on today?! Must be the holidays or something.

• Nick Havok: This is pretty much what I expected would be on Versus. And not to hate (because this is great news!)…but Fight Night cards are the epitome of ‘watered down’. Because we will never see a champion or even a top contender fight on a Fight Night card.

Someone call Gray Maynard and tell him that he’s apparently not a top contender! Then call Koscheck! These guys have a right to know!

And for all intents and purposes, Silva vs. Irvin is considered a Fight Night so yes, we have seen a champion fight on a “watered down” card.

• J MOTA says:

• Guthookd says:

I’m stoked. Can’t wait.

To me good fights are more important than well known fighters.

• antone3x7 says:

J MOTA: B.J. Penn vs Jens Pulver, Roger Huerta vs Clay Guida, Anderson Silva vs Chris Leben, Diego Sanchez vs Karo Parysian etc. etc. plus Kenny Florian put on some good finishes at a few fight nights.Plus alot of fighter debuts and many other good battles.Watered down UFC still better than most other events.

• antone3x7: Penn vs Pulver was on TUF 5 finale, not a Fight Night. Guida’s an exciting fighter but not a contender (5-5 in the UFC). Anderson Silva was making his UFC debut and was largely unknown to the US audience at the time. Diego, Karo, Kenny, Kos, etc. were up and comers at the time. The only exception was Silva vs. Irvin, which we all know was UFC’s last-minute counter programming of Affliction. It’s true that Fight Nights are filled with young up and comers, but sometimes they put on good fights, seeing as they are hungry and have more of a nothing-to-lose attitude. But Nick Havok is right, we won’t see a championship fight or a top contender on fight night. Gray is probably the next guy in line to fight BJ, but that’s only because BJ’s already disposed of Joe Daddy, Sherk, Kenny and Diego. Most, if not all, in that list would beat Gray.

Koscheck was an up and comer a year ago?

• qat says:

@Nick Havok #2
    while reading that, i just had to think of rampage being a commentator, maybe next to rashad? would be classic. :]

• Dufresne says:

qat: @Nick Havok #2

Maybe Rampage, not Rashad. Do you remember when he commentated on the Jardine v Rampage fight? It was awful.

If we’re going to go for fighters as commentators Couture and Mir are proven commodities and Rampage has done a few as well. They had Florian on at one point too, and he didn’t do too terrible.

• egad81 says:

Just add the lighter weights to the UFC roster and call it a day already.

Maybe even a womens division for TV audience?

• egad81: So why is there a need for the WEC if the UFC is going to be doing shows on versus?Just add the lighter weights to the UFC roster and call it a day already.It would both help filling PPV slots with more title fights and also give you plenty of prospects for VERSUS & SPIKE cards.Maybe even a womens division for TV audience?

I really wish the UFC would absorb WEC’s 135 and 145 divisions and WEC would open back up to HW and be a true farm league, developing up and coming talent or for veterans like Chris Leben who need some time, after a couple of losses, to hone their skills.

But DW and Zuffa seem deadset against this.

• Nick Havok says:

Dufresne: FN cards are watered down from a “Big Name” basis, but not always from a talent basis.

I agree 100% with this.

Well said.

Fight Night cards are usually very entertaining in terms of MMA action. The fighters are hungry to impress…and like you said, get back to the ‘big show’ (PPV).

The UFC is the UFC and they want you to think it’s all the same thing, unlike Strikeforce which promotes their Challenger series as a breeding ground for the next generation of fighter. They make it very clear that this is in fact a b level show and the people who impress get moved up to the bigger cards (CBS events).

• Bullylover says:

watered down or not , i just want to see some fights. More mma is good mma to me.

• J MOTA says:

antone3x7:
    Penn vs Pulver was on TUF 5 finale, not a Fight Night.Guida’s an exciting fighter but not a contender (5-5 in the UFC).Anderson Silva was making his UFC debut and was largely unknown to the US audience at the time.Diego, Karo, Kenny, Kos, etc. were up and comers at the time.The only exception was Silva vs. Irvin, which we all know was UFC’s last-minute counter programming of Affliction.It’s true that Fight Nights are filled with young up and comers, but sometimes they put on good fights, seeing as they are hungry and have more of a nothing-to-lose attitude.But Nick Havok is right, we won’t see a championship fight or a top contender on fight night.Gray is probably the next guy in line to fight BJ, but that’s only because BJ’s already disposed of Joe Daddy, Sherk, Kenny and Diego.Most, if not all, in that list would beat Gray.

The question was if the versus fights were going to be watered down.Just because there was no championship fights doesnt mean the cards are comparable to Showtime Challengers series.The UFC belt is the most meaningful championship there is in mma unlike strikeforce who’s champs dont even defend the belt.If the UFC keeps putting quality fights on T.V. for free i’ll keep watching wether it’s for a belt or not.I’ll watch Guida vs Huerta for free over Silva vs Cote/Leites for the belt on ppv.

• mmajosh says:

The thing that sucks here, is that most people do not have versus. Almost all basic packages come with spike tv these days, but versus is not. Does anyone know why they are doing the versus shows?

• H3ro says:

Fuck Versus and Comcast. DirecTV doesn’t carry Versus and Versus is considered a premium channel for Dish Network. I live in SoCal and Comcast does not provide in my area. I’m sure others are affected by this problem. Do not allow the merger to NBC or tv will forever be ruined.

• GassedOut says:

I’m not entirely sure you can make much of a difference between a fight night and Ultimate Finale night. Maybe a half-step in terms of name fighters, but that’s about it. Having said that, some of the best fights ever have come from that pool. Bonnar-Griffin I anyone?

And does anyone know a way a Canadian guy can get versus instead of watching it online? I would rather pay a couple of extra bucks a month and watch the broadcast on my TV than on my computer for free most times.

• moosebaby02 says:

This is the best.
    All year I read a bunch of people who love to bash the UFC and complaining about PPV and how they should put more free shows on????
    So WTF is this then.
    Waterdown or not in some peoples minds but FREE FIGHTS IS FREE FIGHTS.
    So why the crying about waterdown cards?
    All I want to do is watch MMA fights and why not watch up and comers or guys trying to get back on the main cards even if you think their not contenders or not.
    I thought the REAL MMA fans want this sport to grow even more than it already has and this is going to help.
    As much as you people and you know who you are hate the UFC, the F-bros, Joe Sliva, Dana, Zuff or what ever it is can you not see that in the big picture this is good for the sport instead or bashing it for something its not??
    I guess haltered does blind the mind.

I for one cant wait to watch some of these cards no matter if some people think its waterdown or not. Free MMA is what we wanted in the long run and no matter what anyone thinks the UFC is the one that is getting this done for the better overall.

How does good news like this start off with UFC bashing???

• king mah mah says:

I really don’t give a shit what channel it’s on or how “watered down” it might be. I’ll be watching no matter what.

• Nick Havok: It’s almost identical to the Strikeforce Challengers series in my opinion…it’s just the UFC doesn’t market it the same.

Wow. There is such a huge gap in the main card talent of a Challengers card and a Fight Night that you could hit Tito’s giant head inside and still have room for Roy Nelson’s gut.