twitter google

Shane Carwin vs. Frank Mir set for UFC interim heavyweight title in March

frank_mirIt appears Shane Carwin will have a chance to fight for a title sooner rather than later as word has now spread that the UFC has intentions of creating an interim Heavyweight title.  A fight between former champion  Frank Mir and the undefeated Carwin in reportedly in the works for UFC 111.

According to Fanhouse.com the bout has been verbally agreed to by one fo the fighters, and would serve as a co-main event on March 27, 2009.

As of this posting nothing has been officially signed or announced by the UFC.

Carwin who had been tapped to fight current  heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar, has been waiting in limbo since it was announced that Lesnar had become very ill with a bacterial infection of the intestines.

With no return of the champion in sight it appears the UFC  is looking to  move forward.  No doubt spurred by nothing less than a dominant performance by Mir at UFC 107.

Both Carwin and Mir have shared pleasantries in the press over the past week with Mir describing Carwin as , “A better version of Lesnar”  , and Carwin stating on his blog, “Mir is a multiple-time Champion who has been counted out more than Mike Tyson to only find himself right back at the top. He is a LEGEND of the sport and I would be honored to fight him.”

27 COMMENTS
  • Nick Havok says:

    I guess since they aren’t going to strip the inactive champion, Brock Lesnar…than this is the next best thing.

    I’m not comlaining.

    I also think Mir is the best choice to fight the already deserving, Shane Carwin for the interim belt.

    This fight makes sense considering the current conditions of the HW landscape in the UFC and I for one am stoked to see it! Should be a great fight…but something tells me it is going to be a quick one. I bet someone gets dominated.

  • fanoftna33 says:

    Standing I think Mir is much more technical than Shane but the raw power from Carwin is to much, I see this fight looking almost the same as Mir Lesnar, with Carwin having even more power. This is a tough fight to call as Frank has gotten so much better standing and already is so good with submissions that he is overall the more well rounded mma fighter. I think I will go with Mir here, submission.

  • qat says:

    this has to happen.
    good for mir, who earned it with his 107 performance, and good for carwin, who surely doesn’t want to wait another year until he fights again.
    good for the ufc to spice the hw-division up even more.
    and after that fight, the winner of dos santos/yvel and big nog/velasquez could earn the next shot.

  • Unabomberman says:

    If anything, it should be a good, stern test to see how Mir functions against somebody that is Brock’s size, or as close as can be.

    Either way, I see Mir winning decisively–but I’ve been wrong before, so who knows.

  • moosebaby02 says:

    this fight is going to suck………F no im joking.
    Im a big Carwin fan. Always have been.
    So there you go. Carwin vs MIr, Cain vs Nog
    winners face off for the real interim belt then the winner fight brock when he gets back.
    Four man Tourny like i suggested when brock first went down and got thumbs downed to hell but everyone is in love with the idea.
    not trying to tout my own horn but it is funny how this is a good idea now

  • BigDave says:

    This is a bitch move by the ufc. Neither of these guys deserve a title shot and this is just a paper championship fight not a real title. I like carwin and hate mir so obviously i want Shane to destroy him but neither of these guys can beat brock, and they certainly have no shot against the next true champ and that is Cain Velasques.

  • Unabomberman says:

    moosebaby02: this fight is going to suck………F no im joking.
    Im a big Carwin fan. Always have been.
    So there you go. Carwin vs MIr,Cain vs Nog
    winners face off for the real interim belt then the winner fight brock when he gets back.
    Four man Tourny like i suggested when brock first went down and got thumbs downed to hell but everyone is in love with the idea.
    not trying to tout my own horn but it is funny how this is a good idea now

    Great sports idea. Bad bussiness idea.

    Suppose Mir cleans those guys, the what? He fights Brock, and then what? Either he, or Brock become the champ, and then who do they fight? If Mir loses Brock fights either one of those guys below Mir? And if Mir wins, where can he look at?

    people call this the best time for the UFC heavyweight division, but they have, what, Six guys? Brock, Shane, Frank, Cain, Nog, Dos Santos, aaaand…

    If they are smart, they won’t set up the tourney.

    I’m just saying.

  • shocbomb says:

    I can see Mir getting this shot at the interim title alone do to his popularity withy casual fans and how he will sell this fight and thats what equals PPV numbers. Now as for stadning’s in the HW devision and who deserves this shot the most I think bolth Cain Velasquez and Junior dos Santos bolthare ahead of Mir at this point in the pecking order ? Bolth have beaten better top HW competition Sence Mir lost to lesner and have longer winning streaks.Cain coming of Kongo win and the Rothwell win and Dos Santos has a nice 3 fight winning streak going with wins over Werdum, Struve and CroCop.

  • moosebaby02 says:

    Unabomberman
    so what are we to do??? Wait 8-12 months before brock gets back into the ring so the HW divs can get settled???
    bad bussiness idea???? are they not in bussiness to make money?? I will pay for all three fights right now then wait for brock to return.
    And if Mir wins and then beats brock then you can put together a rematch with carwin for the belt or nog/cain who ever it is that he beats for the interm at the time and you have Roy Nelson somewhere maybe makeing a name for himself and trust me he will. Duffee hopefully can be a contender in the future or some other HW. Buts that is all in the future plus also if Mir wins wich i think he wont
    alot can happen within that time so lets worry about what you can put in front of the fans as for now and worry about the what ifs when the time comes

  • MacBatty says:

    To be honest this fight is perfect for me because I get to watch Frank Mir expose Carwin for the hack he is….He has no business fighting for a title…..Heck he has no business having an opinion on Brock let alone fighting for his belt.

    I cant wait for Mir to start telling everyone what he really thinks of Carwin as the fight gets closer and all this POLE SMOKING that they are doing to each other can be put to rest.

  • Unabomberman says:

    moosebaby02: Unabomberman
    so what are we to do??? Wait 8-12 months before brock gets back into the ring so the HW divs can get settled???
    bad bussiness idea???? are they not in bussiness to make money?? I will pay for all three fights right now then wait for brock to return.
    And if Mir wins and then beats brock then you can put together a rematch with carwin for the belt or nog/cain who ever it is that he beats for the interm at the time and you have Roy Nelson somewhere maybe makeing a name for himself and trust me he will. Duffee hopefully can be a contender in the future or some other HW. Buts that is all in the future plus also if Mir wins wich i think he wont
    alot can happen within that time so lets worry about what you can put in front of the fans as for now and worry about the what ifs when the time comes

    You are not wrong but, for everything you say to take place, you need TIME; and just how are you supposed to get that? If you eliminate your immediate contenders in–what, two to three events–what are you left with, then?

    The UFC has to build contenders like Duffee, Struve (he’s still a kid) , Nelson, etc.. yes, but that takes long, and there may be derails along the way; but in the meantime they have to keep their bussiness going, especially if they want to preserve the legitimacy of the heavyweight crown–which is hard in this times filled with delays and dinjuries, and also with the possibility of the champ returning not at 100% or yet ANOTHER interim title (possibly to be held by the same guy that held it last time).

    They have to buy time, and that includes not burning out their stable of contenders right away. This is neither the Olympics, or even Bellator (an actual tourney). The UFC may have been a tournament at one point (and there was nothing wrong with that), but now their bussiness model is different, and they are riding on hand-picked marquee fights. Marquee fights that are in trouble these days.

    Can you at least see my point?

  • slammy862 says:

    So Carwin, who is underdeveloped and really untested outside of a 1 punch over Gonzaga, is going to have a 1 year + gap before he jumps in with the new improved Frank Mir.

    This does not seem smart and really penalizes Carwin for Brocks illness.

    He deserves a warm-up fight or Mir is going to have a clear advantage going into this March fight and fighters coming back after a long break have a terrible track record.

    I don’t know what the odds are, but bet your mortgage on Mir.

  • Jak says:

    That’s pretty dumb, Mir just got beat like a rag doll and pummelled into nothing in just July and now he gets a belt back.

    Wow! he beat Cheick Kongo.

    At the very least it should be Cain vs. Nog and Mir vs. Carwin and THEN the winners fight for the interim belt.

  • TheZoomZoomKid says:

    Mir must be more than a little rattled that they’re not even considering stripping Brock of the title.

  • moosebaby02 says:

    Unabomberman i clearly see your point
    my point is these fights are not going to happen all in the next month.
    nog vs cain is in Feb
    carwin vs mir in march
    lets say the winners face off in oct/sept/nov depending on medical suspensions and all you got tons of time to build up the up and comers as well given Brock the time he needs to heal, new baby, and get back into shape wich will set up the mega fight sometime in March April 2011. Yeah seems so far away but at least there will be fights with some kind of
    significance at HW in the mean time
    I know guys get hurt but you cant work on the notion that everyone is going to get hurt or you will have nothing to work with
    this is the greedy money making side of me and the selfish MMA fan side of my thinking here

  • Dufresne says:

    Jak: That’s pretty dumb, Mir just got beat like a rag doll and pummelled into nothing in just July and now he gets a belt back.Wow! he beat Cheick Kongo.At the very least it should be Cain vs. Nog and Mir vs. Carwin and THEN the winners fight for the interim belt.

    I was thinking that when I read the title of the article.

    I completely understand Carwin fighting for the interim title, after all the UFC had him scheduled to fight for the real title earlier in the year. But Mir? He’s 1-1 in his last two fights and 5-3 in his last 8. How does that scream “title shot?” If you’re going to do an interim title, why not push it back to April or May and have the winner of Velasquez/Nogueira? Both of them have longer win streaks and better records over the last few years. Mir looked impressive against Kongo, but Nogueira looked impressive against Couture who’s a much more rounded fighter.

    I just don’t understand this matchup.

  • JollyDV says:

    I am going to call it now. Carwin wins via devastating TKO in round 1.

  • Unabomberman says:

    moosebaby02: Unabomberman i clearly see your point
    my point is these fights are not going to happen all in the next month.
    nog vs cain is in Feb
    carwin vs mir in march
    lets say the winners face off in oct/sept/nov depending on medical suspensions and all you got tons of time to build up the up and comers as well given Brock the time he needs to heal, new baby, and get back into shape wich will set up the mega fight sometime in March April 2011.Yeah seems so far away but at least there will be fights with some kind of
    significance at HW in the mean time
    I know guys get hurt but you cant work on the notion that everyone is going to get hurt or you will have nothing to work with
    this is the greedy money making side of me and the selfish MMA fan side of my thinking here

    Which seems perfectly doable, but by time I meant time to develop prospective contenders–I think I should have been clearer on that front.

    Other than the six guys I mentioned there are no recognizable guys that can be contenders in the near future all around the divisiondivision. Getting rid of four of them in two fights while not having backups seems lika an odd, if not overtly optimistic, bussiness maneuvering. And thats taking into account that Dos Santos may well lose against Yvel, a fighter that hasn’t been properly marketed to an american audience, not to mention worldwide; at least Junior beat Crocop, who had a recognizable name…and yes, I haven’t forgotten about Duffee, but all we know about the guy in the UFC, right now, is that he looks huge, and has a record KO.

    Again, you need more time to develop proper matchups, and I doubt the UFC is waiting ’till 2011 to settle this heavyweight division situation. They’ll do it this year, Brock or no Brock, and they better be prepared.

    This would have been a good time to have had a Timmay or an Arlovski on your back pocket, if even to give those guys another chance at the belt or build solid names off of theirs.

  • moosebaby02 says:

    i dont think their too worried cause if they can get me into thinking that the Anderson vs Leites was worth buying then they will find someone with the time it takes to get these fights out of the way.
    Timmay or Arlovski would be nice to have in your pocket but we know that wont happen.
    Just cause you lose a fight in a mini tourney dosent mean you will never get a shot again. espically since everyone will love to see who ever the champ is fight Cain, Nog, Mir, Carwin, Dos Santos Brock for the real belt.
    end of the day the REAL BELT is what we all care about but untill then why not show case you HW division since SF looks like they are bigging up their HW roster so some extent

  • fetussandwich says:

    The whole problem with this heavyweight debacle is what will happen to the loser of this fight? Carwin had the next title fight, Mir is somehow back in contention after one win, then you have Cain vs Nog happening. The only thing beneficial that could come for either fighter would be Mir essentially leapfrogging over Carwin with a win, setting Carwin back two to three fights in the process to fight Lesnar again (big if with all the speculation around his illness). A win would just give Carwin the same stance he had before the fight, which is the title shot. He has everything to lose and nothing to gain. It’s such a miserable situation that we can only speculate on due to Lesnar’s illness. It would be so much easier equating everything with him just relinquishing the title if he’s going to be out for the length of time everyone is safely assuming. And say he does rush to comeback and loses…the endless barrage of horseshit comments saying “oh, he was sick and wasn’t 100%” would never stop. Just look at the constant stupidity that followed Mir/Nog.

    Carwin/ Mir vs the winner of Nog/Velasquez for the belt. I hate paper interim championships.

  • Unabomberman says:

    moosebaby02: i dont think their too worried cause if they can get me into thinking that the Anderson vs Leites was worth buying then they will find someone with the time it takes to get these fights out of the way.
    Timmay or Arlovski would be nice to have in your pocket but we know that wont happen.
    Just cause you lose a fight in a mini tourney dosent mean you will never get a shot again. espically since everyone will love to see who ever the champ is fight Cain, Nog, Mir, Carwin, Dos Santos Brock for the real belt.
    end of the day the REAL BELT is what we all care about but untill then why not show case you HW division since SF looks like they are bigging up their HW roster so some extent

    I guess I’m just more paranoid than you are, then; because I see it as a long term problem as the heavyweight division is what’s supposed to be the biggest draw, and if you don’t have a coherent lineage for the belt you’re going to have a problem.

    Either way, i hope it gets fixed soon.

  • qat says:

    @fetus
    while you are correct that carwin can only lose his contendership and ‘just’ win a paper belt, he simply does not make any money with not fighting. and the ufc certainly has no interest in feeding a can to him, only for the sake of giving him a fight.

  • ndizzle says:

    they really want mir lesnar 3.i got mir winning cuz he has experience.i really get to see what carwin is about

  • fetussandwich says:

    Yah, I understand that complete qat, and that was another problem I had with all of it I forget to mention. Carwin”s layoff is detrimental to him, but necessary anyhow coming off his injury, so it’s not like he would have been fighting anyways.

    I just think that no matter how this all goes down, top contenders are going to get lost in the shuffle because we have to sit and wait around for Brock to get better, so substitute fights are made in the interim throwing contention status to the wind.

  • Jstew3785 says:

    JollyDV: I am going to call it now. Carwin wins via devastating TKO in round 1.

    I concur…

  • Mir is going control carwin any any way Mir wants him to go. .. pick him apart. Absolutely dominate Carwin in the essentials of the game. This a a wrong fight for many reasons already mentions above. Way to soon. Carwin should fight Dos Santos , Velaquez and Big Nog should fight and Mir should fight Gabriel Gonzaga the Jitsu black belt that can stricke,

    Say Mir wins and Carwin wins along with Big Nog. I would have to say that Big Nog and Mir should go at it and Carwin should wait for the winner to heal.

    Ya .. you can dig it. That should give brock enough time to get big and strong again.

  • MMA-LOGIC says:

    Look I don’t want to get into an argument about weather Shane deserves or doesn’t deserve a title shot…because he F#CK’N Doesn’t and I don’t want to debate the idea of having an interim title or as I like to call it the “i can’t believe it’s not a title” title. I just want to point out what great wins Carwin had over Gonzaga (he even did it with his eyes closed) and…um that guy and…those other guys whose name I…well never bothered to learn and that dude that…well sucks, any way if any body deserves a shot at a fake title it is him. I hope that if Carwin wins he gets a shot at the divisions best guys… that should probably happen first but..what the hey I’m all for guys that haven’t earned it going for titles that don’t really exist. Rock on UFC.

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.