Diego Sanchez already focused on B.J. Penn rematch

Diego SanchezRecently released images of a bruised and battered Diego Sanchez may have people feeling sympathetic towards him based on the damage sustained at the hands and feet of current UFC Lightweight Champion BJ Penn, but don’t count the “Nightmare” among them.

A new posting on the former top contender’s Twitter account revealed he is not only fired up about stepping back into the Octagon, but earning a second crack at Penn, title or not. Sanchez, who turns 28 on New Year’s Eve, was more than forthcoming with his feelings on the subject…

To be honest I’m really f’nnnn pissed off. I hate losing and am more hungry for victory than ever… All I can think about is working my way back to earn another shot at BJ Penn. My dream has changed. It is no longer just become UFC champion. It is to fight BJ Penn again. I will put my heart and soul into this!!! I’m on a mission now. All you doubters shut up and watch me!

The UFC 107 loss was the third of Sanchez’s professional career and brought his record to 2-1 in the promotion’s 155-pound division. Logical future opponents for the highly ranked lightweight’s return to action could include the winner of Gray Maynard’s upcoming bout against Nate Diaz at Fight Night 20, the recently victorious Frank Edgar, or possibly a much anticipated “TUF 1 Finale” rematch against Kenny Florian.

• themml says:

Kenflo rematch would be great

• Bad Monkey says:

Good luck, Diego. I don’t doubt the guy’s heart for one second, but after an ass whipping like BJ gave him he’s got a long way to go to earn another title shot.

• Nick Havok says:

This confirms it…

Diego Sanchez is bat-shit crazy.

• Hohlraum says:

Crazy != Talented

• Unabomberman says:

Nick Havok: This confirms it…Diego Sanchez is bat-shit crazy.

Did you miss the cartwheel?

• moosebaby02 says:

i guess he wants a matching scar on the other side of his forehead

• Dufresne says:

I love it when a fighter loses and becomes more motivated to be even more improved, but I have no desire to see BJ v Diego 2 for quite a while. As much fun as it was to see Penn host a clinic in my home town, I don’t think the School for Head Trauma should hold classes for a while.

themml: Kenflo rematch would be great

I agree. Florian is coming off of an impressive performance over Guida after a loss to BJ himself, so this fight would help either Florian get back in the title chase or help Diego bounce back after the most one sided beat downs in UFC history.

Any way it goes, I think they should give Maynard or Edgar a shot before either Florian or Sanchez.

• fanoftna33 says:

I like the idea of a rematch with Kenny but I dont think we will see it anytime soon, if Deigo runs over Kenny again whats left for Kenny people will see a two time championship bout loser who cant beat a guy the champ destroyed. Kenny is already in a Rich Franklin type spot where he has lost to the top guys but is able to knock off contenders. I think when Deigo is healthy he could have a fight with Sherk and maybe one more top guy then if Kenny keeps winning give them a #1 contender match, but right now just seems to soon.

• qat says:

his primary goal for now should be to be able to eat without pain again…

• Makington says:

lmao at qat and moose. Well played sirs.

But I agree with most people, the beating is too fresh and too one-sided for people to want to see it for a long time. When they announced BJ/GSP II everyone went nuts because the first fight was close as hell, but after how one-sided the second one was, the only person that wants to see BJ/GSP III is BJ Penn. Go figure.

• sneakerpimp says:

there won’t be no rematch.

BJ is already set to clean out the LW division and make a run at the WW title. i don’t see him moving back to 155 at the end of his career, so the only way they fight again would be at 170 where Diego is not a contender.

• Angry Mike says:

I guess I admire his determination, but I question his judgment. This reminds me of the Black Knight in Monty Python’s Holy Grail: “It’s only a flesh wound!”

• fetussandwich says:

Angry Mike: I guess I admire his determination

There’s a difference between determination and stupidity.

• themml says:

I dont think Diego will run through Kenflo again. Kenflo is a different fighter thanhe was 5 years ago and they did battle in the middle weight division and Kenny was like 182 and fat, now he is in his true weight class. Diego looked less impressive against BJ than Kenflo so I think he has the edge. Also when Kenflo fought Sherk he wasnt the same then as now, he didnt have a strength coach and he has improved ever since that fight and I think Sherk may have peaked or slightly headed down hill.

• moosebaby02 says:

thanks Makington
    i do try my best

• xtreme_machine says:

He sounds like Frank Mir

• I think Diego got more beat up that it looked. He obvoiusly has brain damage. I am concerned for his well being.

He really should fight Kenny again. I would love to see that fight. Kenny is a much different fight now and I really think he would own Diego.

• gueda says:

no interest. is he sado-maso or what…

• dpk says:

Diego talked alot of shit about how he destroyed Kenflo and would do it again when he moved down to LW. I really want to see that re-match, and it just makes sense at this point. Neither is going to fight for the title, but if they match them with some prospect, they will just knock off a potential challenger to BJ. Sherk would be another interesting fight for the winner, as he is in the same situation as Diego and Kenflo.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Come on! if he had taken him down it may have been different , I mean Penn didn’t want to go there. Also he lasted very well and BJ found it very hard to put Diego away as it was, so if Diego can do a few things different it will be game on in my opinion. It was 1 sided in the stand up but I think if there is to be a rematch it will not be so easy.

• Nick Havok says:

I agree with everyone who has already previously mentioned this…

Sanchez vs. Florian 2 is the fight I want next.

• jasonah says:

I see Deigo as a dude with alot of Heart but ,He looks like a dude with out a future ? he has alot of work 2 do @ 155 before i see him fighting B.J again.And he goes up to 170 what is he going to do there? If he was able to get B.J to the ground what would he been able to do there? B.j has my vote for one of the bloodiest fighters in the octagon.He has been ruining alot of Canvas lately.